talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Peru

football forum

The Copa Peru is the third tier of Peruvian football. I'm starting this thread to update it as in Peru, one team from the Segunda goes up and the other team that goes up is from the Copa Peru which is the third tier. 

Last year, Sport Rosario won it and got promoted to the Primera. I think this format is great as it helps traditional clubs always with a chance to get back to the primera and also helps new clubs establish themselves which makes our football grow.

Right now its still in the middle of the interligas. I have no clue on the provincial areas though. Here are a few clubs that I'd like to see in the fight.

Atletico Grau

Club Deportivo Zuñiga

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores

Coronel Bolognesi

Octavio Espinoza

Carlos Orellana

Colegio Nacional Iquitos

Garcilaso

Walter Ormeño

Deportivo Maldonado

Molino el Pirata FC

That last club, Molino el Pirata FC... can we agree they have the greatest club badge ever?

e3bf14cf582f9d4723aed43ab0de632a.png

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m new on TF365, but I must say, it is amazing to find this kind of coverage on this forum. I love learning about the less-covered leagues and their formats. 

So to clarify, how many teams get promoted from the Copa Peru? Two? Winners straight up to Primera and runners-up into Segunda?

On a similar note, how many teams get promoted/relegated from the Segunda? 

(Also, that badge…) 

9 minutes ago, tarzanontoast said:

I’m new on TF365, but I must say, it is amazing to find this kind of coverage on this forum. I love learning about the less-covered leagues and their formats. 

So to clarify, how many teams get promoted from the Copa Peru? Two? Winners straight up to Primera and runners-up into Segunda?

On a similar note, how many teams get promoted/relegated from the Segunda? 

(Also, that badge…) 

Its complicated. I'll try to make it as understandable as possible.

1 team promoted from the Segunda and one from the Copa Peru into the Primera.

2 teams from the Primera relegated to the Segunda

Copa Peru runner up promoted into the Segunda

2 relegated from the segunda into the third tier (which is 4 qualifying formats before Copa Peru.)

I believe its something like that. On writing its actually not as complicated. As a team though you really don't want to be in the third tier. The qualifying format for a few teams is extremely tedious and nervous.

Ah, okay. Managed to find some details about it. Sounds very tough to win! 

The Spanish third tier is almost impossible to escape from too, I think there are 4 divisions of 20 teams playing for 4 promotion spots. And league winners don’t even get automatic promotion! They still have to win play-offs!

42 minutes ago, tarzanontoast said:

Ah, okay. Managed to find some details about it. Sounds very tough to win! 

The Spanish third tier is almost impossible to escape from too, I think there are 4 divisions of 20 teams playing for 4 promotion spots. And league winners don’t even get automatic promotion! They still have to win play-offs!

Its not just the format though. Some of these teams are in areas incredibly difficult to reach. For example, last year a team qualified called Kola San Martin. They're based in Punchana, Loreto. Punchana doesn't even have 100,000 people and is in the amazon. There are probably no roads to get there and I highly doubt they have an airport, so I was questioning myself one thing: how does this team compete? My guess is that you have to go to Iquitos and find your way from there, but I don't mean by road because its impossible to enter or leave iquitos that way.

Lets also not forget that not all these teams are great financially. The team with the best finances are usually the ones that go up. I'm always hoping its Octavio Espinosa or Atletico Grau because they are traditional clubs, but its usually some nothing club. It isn't a problem though as it helps them establish helping the football grow.

That’s a very good point. I think I read in your other Peru thread that the country is split into three regions: ‘coast’, ‘mountains’ and ‘jungle’; I guess in the earlier stages of the Copa Peru the groups are split to geographical convenience… but I imagine transport can still become tricky.

Helping teams grow financially by offering the reward of a double-promotion is an intriguing concept. I was wondering, are teams in the Copa Peru classed as ‘semi-professional’? 

3 hours ago, tarzanontoast said:

That’s a very good point. I think I read in your other Peru thread that the country is split into three regions: ‘coast’, ‘mountains’ and ‘jungle’; I guess in the earlier stages of the Copa Peru the groups are split to geographical convenience… but I imagine transport can still become tricky.

Helping teams grow financially by offering the reward of a double-promotion is an intriguing concept. I was wondering, are teams in the Copa Peru classed as ‘semi-professional’? 

It goes like this

Distrital - Municipal - Provincial - Nationwide

And yes, there are a lot. The team I work for as an example isn't a professional club. Well known, but they aren't professional. Currently in the second phase still of the Copa. Like I said, the ones that invest are the ones that usually win the whole thing.

• 2 months later...

No idea whats going on in the provinces (nor does anyone really) but here is how the Lima stage is looking like... nearing the end of the municipal tournament. 

48beec520dfab37da638696a995e7c6e.png

Alianza Pizarro and AFE Cosmos are the only clubs I'm familiar with in the table. ETE rings a bell. The other 2 are new for me. 

Somos Olimpico beat Cosmos 1-0 and Pizarro beat AD Solidarida 2-1 at the Estadio Julio Montjoy in Surco.

• 1 month later...

The Copa Peru is getting closer. I will be going to a few games this season and hopefully get a few vlogs for my website. I want Cusco and Arequipa but it'll depend on who makes it far. Arequipa is likely though, Deportivo Binacional is strong and will go far again like last year.

A few teams have qualified already. Leon de Huanuco failed to reach the Copa Peru again and were beaten out by La Punta. Alianza Universidad were the other team that qualified from Huanuco, which is one I'm well familiar with as they've been in the Segunda a few times.

My favourites for this year though are Coronel Bolognesi de Tacna. They have a few professional players and they have been rampant in their region. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Tarzanontoast If you're still alive I just wanted you to know the draw is tomorrow, and most teams have qualified.

I will be attending the draw so I'll talk about some of the teams when I get back.

For now I'll just say my favourites to win the copa this year is Escuela Municipal Binacional from the Arequipa region.

• 3 weeks later...

It started last week, and I just watched the draw between Sportivo Huracan and Coronel Bolognesi. Ended 1-1, and there was a 15 year old for the visitors who is really good. Native Tacna player and further proof that talent exists outside of Lima. Hopefully Bolo go far as they are a traditional side. Jorge Sampaoli is their former manager, actually.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

those cows did well to travel all the way from India. fucking running riot. 

Don't get me wrong, I love this competition. However, it can be a good way to get laughs. There is a video of the top 10 best moments in the competition (that cows gif was ranked 4th). The crowd violence is out of control due to poor security and player attitudes, team badges and even player names are all great in this.

I'll send you a few gifs if you can't be arsed to watch the whole video of the best moments.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Been going to a few games this season, mostly for scouting purposes. Been a lot of fun, even if my team have gone out. 

Its the final stage in Lima right now and I've been going to as many games as possible. I actually went to one yesterday but only to get the players names. I went home and watched the game on Facebook. There was 1 really good 18 year old who impressed me and could have a future.

4 hours ago, Machado said:

Brian your club plays in the Copa Peru?

Yeah, its kind of a weird story. I'm a fan of a team called DIM which are a very small team that are based in my district, Miraflores. I got into them about 2 years ago after realizing I wanted to support a more "local" team. Even if it meant I'm not going to support them as many games. I like Universitario because they are my family club, but I can't relate with the idiotic fanbase. So I began going to a few games in the early stages, met the entire group of players and owners and occasionally took pictures for them. The season is good fun. We made it far in the tournament 3 years ago and almost got promoted, but that was before I began properly watching them. By then I was only a "sympathizer" as I saw their results and that was it.

Supporting lower league football teams is a lot of fun.

Archived