talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Flamengo Youth Team Training Centre Fire - 10 Killed

football forum

• The title was changed to Flamengo Youth Team Training Centre Fire - 10 Killed
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Jesus, my heart goes out to all and R.I.P. to all those that perished.

Flamengo football club: Ten die in Rio de Janeiro fire

A fire has engulfed a dormitory at the youth team training centre of one of Brazil's biggest football clubs, killing 10 people.

Three people were also injured when the fire broke out at Ninho de Urubu, the training ground of Flamengo football club, in Rio de Janeiro...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-47170055

Wow - that's terrible. 

Makes sense now though since I saw Leonardo made a statement about it - 

Milan sporting director Leonardo says he has been ‘very affected’ by the fire at Flamengo’s youth-team training centre, which killed 10 people.

Leonardo came through Flamengo’s youth system and began his professional career with the Brazilian side, prior to playing for the likes of Valencia, Paris Saint-Germain and Milan.

“I’ve been very affected by what happened at the Ninho do Urubu complex, where I started playing with Flamengo’s youth clubs,” the 49-year-old told ANSA.

“Back then there was only grass and the dream of building a high-level training centre. I’d like to embrace all the families of the victims of the fire.

“My thoughts and prayers are with those young lads who pursued dreams of becoming footballers.”

All 10 of the victims are understood to be youth players, while three others were injured.

The thoughts of everyone at #ACMilan are with the victims of the @Flamengo fire and all those affected by this enormous tragedy
Il nostro pensiero va alle vittime dell'incendio scoppiato nel centro sportivo del Flamengo. Ci stringiamo alle loro famiglie#ForçaFlamengo! pic.twitter.com/wBZfpHOfFn

— AC Milan (@acmilan) February 8, 2019

• Subscriber

I was just reading about this and it seems it broke out when the players were asleep in their dormitories. Terrible news when young people lose their lives. RIP.

And to think they were playing a massive game this weekend too against their rivals (which has now been postponed and rightfully so). 

Archived