talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NBA

football forum

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto Raptors won't make playoffs this year. Unless we can get an actual centre and not the disgrace that are Alex Len and Aron Baynes, I don't see anyway we make it.

Siakam finally played well again but Phoenix is 53% on 3's. Tough to beat them on that form.

D'Angelo Russell and Anthony Edwards with 26 each last night, Lillard dropped 39 though to lead Portland to a win.

I saw Philly vs Nets though. Disappointed in the 76ers who were quite bad yesterday. Especially 2016's #1 draft pick in Ben Simmons who was awful. Nets won without any of their stars.

• The title was changed to NBA

Watching Philadelphia 76ers vs Denver Nuggets. Apparently 76ers have only 7 players available thanks to COVID which is a shocking squad number for basketball. I expect Philly to do well first half and get blown out of the water in the second.

On another note, Tyrese Maxey looks like a steal, as he was drafted at 21. Looks fantastic.

On 08/02/2019 at 12:49, McAzeem said:

We can differ on what makes a sport major or underrated.

But for me Basketball is not underrated. Its played world wide, almost every country has basketball in its school program, even poor ones as it requires less space and its simple to play

Has a great marketing, you see basketball in a lot of movies and in video games

Though only in few countries its the No 1 sport

Another bump. Apologies reading through these old threads xD

Basketball is a big sport, but I think it's only No 1 in Lithuania. @nudge can confirm that for me. It's often No. 2 in most countries. I'd say its the second sport here in Canada, third sport in Peru and 2nd sport in Argentina disputed with Rugby. This goes on to most other countries. Greece is big on it. 

• The title was changed to NBA

Toronto Raptors lost last night to Golden State Warriors at the very end.

Curry had an awful shooting night. The worst in his career statiscally. I think he made 2 or 3 shots out of 18. However, he still had a great game. Great passing and aggressive defence. That is how you define an elite player in this sport, if he can be dangerous even when his offensive game is on an off day.

Kyle Lowry did nothing for the first 3 quarters then just went off in the 4th. And people want him traded, embarrassing. The greatest Toronto Raptor of all time.

Pascal Siakam needs to work on his shooting but his consistency at scoring points on his game is good enough for me.

Also, Jokic will go down as a hall of famer when his career is over. His stats are out of this world. I think he averages a triple double this season? If he keeps this up, he will win titles and end up as a hall of famer. I can't even imagine the idea of him improving further. Still quite young at 25.

24.7 points, 11.3 rebounds and 11.0 assists. HOW!?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mpache said:

Basketball is a big sport, but I think it's only No 1 in Lithuania. @nudge can confirm that for me. It's often No. 2 in most countries. I'd say its the second sport here in Canada, third sport in Peru and 2nd sport in Argentina disputed with Rugby. This goes on to most other countries. Greece is big on it. 

The Philippines too. The only other country I know of that is mad about it, haha. 

3 hours ago, Mpache said:

This is a debate which way do one see how major is a sport, by sheer number of participation or it's cultural relevance.

Like Cricket is a major one by the latter not the former. I personally weigh cultural relevance more. 

1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

Wow. Arguably 3 of the top 5 scorers in the world on the same team. Has that ever happened before? 

I would have liked him going to Philadelphia, but they are smart. Harden would have done more harm to their core given it's built around Embiid and Simmons and Harden's ego. Brooklyn makes more sense. I still see them making the final though. 

Standings

East

The top 5 will stay the same, but in a different order. I reckon Nets or Bucks will finish top.

Bottom 3 might be completely different. I am not impressed by the Knicks and expect them to miss playoffs. The 3 teams are tough. Bulls and Raptors would be the 2 surprises given their starts but they play like a team that should be better than their record shows. I still expect Miami Heat to make it. If I had to make a prediction now, I'd say bottom 3 of the top 8 would be Raptors, Bulls and Miami. Hornets and Hawks just barely missing out. I haven't seen Cleveland yet but their roster don't particularly shout impressive.

cc3b0ae1c1bc5eba71aaa6c7fb82451b.png

West

Lakers and Clippers will fight it out for that top spot. Utah in my opinion are a lock for top 3, but won't finish top. They have a great defensive centre in Gobert, a scorer in Mitchell and a lot of depth. Their bench is superb and they can rotate safely without worrying about falling behind.

Phoenix Suns will fall but I do think they will make playoffs. On their game they are great, but they are one-dimensional and only play 1 way. 

Warriors will finish a bit higher as should the Denver Nuggets. Memphis could be the surprise of the season, but they need to watch out for Mavericks and Nuggets. Everyone below Thunder I'm sure won't make the playoffs. Pelicans are still inexperienced, Sacramento aren't good at all, Rockets are rebuilding and Minnesota are limited in depth.

0729384abe96b5d9dbde582b07f70a96.png

6 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

OK this one's not at a reasonable hour but nout to do tomorrow. 

Half time - Portland  50 - Houston 53

Houston were down by 20 at one point. 

Also watching. Oladipo has been awesome here, and surprisingly has less than 15 points so far when checking. Kind of surprises me to be honest.

1 minute ago, ToonFan said:

33 up now, 13 of 17 with 4 three pointers. Absolutely amazing performance from him, his personal highest first half scoring in the NBA.

Nuggets 79 Jazz 54 at the half time break. Thoroughly entertaining. 

Madness. Averaging triple doubles and often gets 30+ per game. Now he's got 30+ in the first half. I really want him to get up to 60 today.

Utah's run looks like it's gonna come to an end based on this first half.

Archived