Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Smiley Culture

David Beckham Statue to be unveiled at LA Galaxy

Seems a weird one, did he have that much of an impact there? Apparently so. 

I wonder if Bradley Wright-Phillips will get one somewhere in New York. 

Class touch from the Galaxy, Beckham was the catalyst for American football (soccer) despite what some would have you believe.

It does seem a bit cringe, but I do agree with @Cannabis in some ways. Really goes with that "profile" debate I had in the Almiron thread. Beckham really changed the face of the league with all the brands and now the whole Miami thing.

18 goals in 98 but I suppose it’s the commercial aspect as well that’s been taking into account. He must have boosted income there hugely with shirt sales and ticket sales. 

I think I’m right in saying it’s down to Beckham that we have the MLS on Sky now. 

I think his off-field impact for the MLS has been more noticeable than what he did on the field, and perhaps this is why they've dedicated something for him.

Some may say that his effect on the MLS has helped it become bigger than the Championship these days :ph34r:

• Haha 1

If it's anything like the statues in England it'll look more like David Jason

It'll need to change hair style every 2 weeks to be accurate

• Haha 3

I don't think he even warrants a statue at Man Utd, the club he's most associated with and that's usually one of the boxes that needs ticking. More of a celebrity than a great footballer.

He's still living in the USA now? 

Beckham is class. Great ambassador for the game and for England. 

On 22/02/2019 at 23:05, Harry said:

He's still living in the USA now? 

Beckham is class. Great ambassador for the game and for England. 

I think he owns a MLS side in Florida

21 hours ago, Eco said:

xD

Is Beckham really considered the best player to ever play in the MLS? Or is that James Corden getting a dig in at how shit he thinks the league is? Or is that just James Corden being an idiot as always?

51 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is Beckham really considered the best player to ever play in the MLS? Or is that James Corden getting a dig in at how shit he thinks the league is? Or is that just James Corden being an idiot as always?

Henry, Ibra, David Villa, Kaka, Drogba and Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, Lamps and Ashley Cole have all played MLS and are/were as good/better than the man from the perfume add. 

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Henry, Ibra, David Villa, Kaka, Drogba and Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, Lamps and Ashley Cole have all played MLS and are/were as good/better than the man from the perfume add. 

Yeah that's why I thought it was a bit weird.

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

and Bradley Wright-Phillips.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean - in all honestly Beckham in his day was an elite player, so he's definitely the largest profile player to play here, and I'd say the best ever as he had some great years here. 

He's easily the most influential player ever.