talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Supporter groups - Improving atmosphere

football forum

Does your club have one that's trying to improve the atmosphere? And what's your thoughts on them? Any choreographed displays or a 'march' to the ground? I think Palace have quite a big supporter group, Celtic etc...

We have one that is growing in size and popularly and i'm really unsure of my thoughts on it. They've raised a lot of money, purchased a load of flags to create pretty displays before the game, but does it improve the atmosphere? or is it just for nice pics for the TV and social media? i'm not sure. Atmosphere is created with singing and clapping, not the waving of flags. It seems a little forced to me.

I would say ours has improved the atmosphere, but we are also playing well, it'll be interesting to see if this continues when we are doing shit. I'm guessing it will fall on its arse.

We have a big 'surprise' display planned pre-game tomorrow and a 'march' from a nearby wetherspoons to Carrow Road. I find the march a bit cringe and won't be participating. I'm a traditionalist in a lot of my footballing views and these forced European style atmosphere isn't how I view supporting a football team. Let's just sing song about ipswich being shit and gve out some wanker signs.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of the youth coming together to create a better atmosphere, English football has missed that. But I'm not a fan of the wannabe European style ultras, it just sounds shit and looks shit.

If you wanna create something then go ahead, but leave the drums and the shitty chequered flags at home because it looks and sounds horrific. What happened to quality songs being sung rather than everyone going "whooa whooa whooa whooa" to a repetitive drum beat.

7 hours ago, Danny said:

I like the idea of the youth coming together to create a better atmosphere, English football has missed that. But I'm not a fan of the wannabe European style ultras, it just sounds shit and looks shit.

If you wanna create something then go ahead, but leave the drums and the shitty chequered flags at home because it looks and sounds horrific. What happened to quality songs being sung rather than everyone going "whooa whooa whooa whooa" to a repetitive drum beat.

Yeah, think I’m with you Danny. There will be plenty of chequered flags in the Barclay today.

@The Palace Fan thoughts on your group of lads? 

As we know, it’s a European thing mainly so it’s still pretty alien on these shores but if you’ve been and watched Football in Europe or even just seen videos of it, it seems to work pretty well over there and creates a decent atmosphere, something I would say we as football fans here overrated ourselves on. 

I’m not sure how well it will transfer over here. It’s seemed to work at Palace, they’re the big example of this here but I can’t say I know of any other successful stories of this. I do think the atmosphere at grounds here definitely needs working on though, so good luck to anyone doing this sort of thing. 

I remember last time this was discussed a bunch of the English fellas thought that a ground being dead quiet (Anfield graveyard style) With clapping for good plays/tackles, oohing and aahing over near chances and exploding for goals, with the odd song here and there was the 'best atmosphere' 

Having a laugh

39 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I remember last time this was discussed a bunch of the English fellas thought that a ground being dead quiet (Anfield graveyard style) With clapping for good plays/tackles, oohing and aahing over near chances and exploding for goals, with the odd song here and there was the 'best atmosphere'  

Having a laugh

Have you been to Anfield?

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Having a laugh

A good English atmosphere that rises and falls with the action and crescendos to roar on the home side at the right moment is far better than any European atmosphere. The constant noise typical of the continent is just that: noise, and eventually the brain tunes it out to nothing.

A bad English atmosphere that's dead silent with fans only rising to get on a player's back, which we're seeing more and more of, is probably the worst thing in the world.

11 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Have you been to Anfield?

Thankfully not. But through the magic of modern technology I have seen many live games there! And the closer it is the quieter the cunts are

10 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

A good English atmosphere that rises and falls with the action and crescendos to roar on the home side at the right moment is far better than any European atmosphere. The constant noise typical of the continent is just that: noise, and eventually the brain tunes it out to nothing.

A bad English atmosphere that's dead silent with fans only rising to get on a player's back, which we're seeing more and more of, is probably the worst thing in the world.

Having. A. Laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived