• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 0-2 PSG (1st Leg) - Tuesday 12th February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

By relying on Juventus missing loads of chances vs actually outplaying them. 

Clutching at straws a little though. Break it down how you want, a win is a win, hardly anyone wins at Juve.

They don't have to outplay PSG to win. They just need to be clinical on the break. Worked against Spurs and Arsenal in the cup. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I agree, I thought it was a massive disappointment for you to lose to them looking at their line up. One of the weakest PSG team's to visit UK shores in recent times and the ease in which they won was slightly concerning. Let's not forget that Liverpool absolutely battered them at Anfield and 3-2 flattered them.

Read a lot of comments today about how last night was a 'reality check' for United or whether there is an over reaction to their defeat, but being brutally honest, I don't think being pretty critical about losing to PSG should be dismissed, irrespective of Ole's start. They were an extremely beatable side there and the performance was below par from United. Genuinely believe United had enough in them to win that game and jump all over that PSG side. 

United away from home on the counter attack will actually play into their hands better. I really wouldn't be shocked to see them turn it around. They already managed to beat Juventus on home turf this season which is a feat in itself.

Can't see PSG giving them much room on the counter. PSG might as well play on the counter themselves. This one's done bar a miracle.

Just now, Lucas said:

Clutching at straws a little though. Break it down how you want, a win is a win, hardly anyone wins at Juve.

They don't have to outplay PSG to win. They just need to be clinical on the break. Worked against Spurs and Arsenal in the cup. 

How is context clutching at straws? 

Of course United have a chance to win the game. But using a game where they relied solely on the opposition bottling chances is a weak frame of reference. They did it against Juve, they can do it against PSG. 

• The title was changed to Man Utd 0-2 PSG (1st Leg) - Tuesday 12th February, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

I actually don't think this tie is done. 

I fully expect PSG to win it, but as we've seen in the past 2 years, comebacks have become quite common in the Champions League. Some completed (Barca vs PSG), others close but not so much (Juventus vs Real Madrid)

The underlying factor though is that without their 2 stars, PSG were still able to win at Old Trafford. I don't think they want to bottle it this time.

7 hours ago, Salford Kel said:

Massive embarrassment losing at home to a tinpot nomark club like PSG, about as European minnow as you can get and with literally zero history. Even worse was the fact that we were outplayed too by players as utterly shit as Di Maria, the most gutless player I have ever had the misfortune to see in a United shirt and the very definition of superflop.

Overall, good post but I massively disagree with the first paragraph. PSG may have less history than the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City, but present day they have a much better squad than United even without their 2 best players.

You also can't use the "Di Maria was a flop at my club" to see him as a bad player overall. The PL in the last few years has been filled with awful recruiting to managers that are too stubborn to pander to what they play as. Sure Di Maria isn't the same player he was at Real Madrid, even today but he's definitely better than what he was at United.

39 minutes ago, Lucas said:

To be fair mate, I don't particularly think it's a strong argument to compare the win at Turin. Many people claimed that Liverpool battered PSG at Anfield as a comparison to suggest United would do the same, and it wasn't like that. 

Just now, José said:

Didn't watch that game at Anfield but Man Utd was equal to PSG until the two massive injuries and force substitutions, same happened to Liverscum? Totally different scenario but the win at Turin keeps getting brought up because it was a great away win were the home team was undefeated and not many could accomplish that feat... if they were able to do that, overcoming the deficit against PSG is not impossible. Even Mario Kempes predicted Man Utd was going to comeback last night bruh and he does all the ESPN deportes broadcast for the CL:what:

The same Mario Kempes that told Maradona to fuck off and that Messi is the greatest of all time. 

I agree. Mario Kempes knows all. 

Just now, Cicero said:

The same Mario Kempes that told Maradona to fuck off and that Messi is the greatest of all time. 

I agree. Mario Kempes knows all. 

He always says things like that xD

"I'd rather listen to great football legends over twitter journalist Brian"

Being a legend doesn't make you knowledgable on football. Just look at Pele ffs. Being on a big network doesn't always cut it either. Alexi Lalas is clueless.

26 minutes ago, José said:

Didn't watch that game at Anfield but Man Utd was equal to PSG until the two massive injuries and force substitutions, same happened to Liverscum? Totally different scenario but the win at Turin keeps getting brought up because it was a great away win were the home team was undefeated and not many could accomplish that feat... if they were able to do that, overcoming the deficit against PSG is not impossible. Even Mario Kempes predicted Man Utd was going to comeback last night bruh and he does all the ESPN deportes broadcast for the CL:what:

Wrong. We slapped their arse. The scoreline flattered them massively. 

• Subscriber

United were a bit unlucky last night but I thought even early on PSG looked a better side, passing better and in control of most of United's attacking situations.

It might come across as lazy analysis or as if I'm trying to jump on a told you so bandwagon, but I've not read the thread or Twitter, so it's my genuine opinion when I say it looked like United simply didn't have any ideas of how to adapt when they went behind, seemed to panic and not really know what to do as soon as PSG went ahead. Solskjaer has to do better tactically next time things aren't going their way against quality opposition. 

Archived