• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (1st Leg) - Wednesday 13th February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, shut up said:

Arsenal and Chelsea, who are 5th and 6th in the Premier League, would both beat Dortmund over two legs.

bundesliga has gone downhill 

Although the Premier league is a better league than the Bundesliga, as indeed they should be given their resources, you cannot judge a league on one half of football.

Also you never know in football. Arsenal and Chelsea could of course have eliminated BVB, but not by any means a given. I'd also wager that the current 5th and 6th in the Bundesliga, Leverkusen and Frankfurt, would have fighting chances against Arsenal and Chelsea.

If the Bundesliga, as one of the top 6-7 leagues in the world is Mickey Mouse, the Mickey Mouses are the vast majority on this planet. 

11 hours ago, Blue said:

I don't get the use of "league purity" in the argument. Just because the Bundesliga doesn't have these sugar daddy's, doesn't make the league any better than the likes I've mentioned. If they performed well enough in Europe I wouldn't be having this debate, but they don't and that's how it is. There is always an excuse from Bundesliga fans to try and make their league look better. First it was "better attendances" and now it's "league purity". It doesn't work when your league consistently underperforms in Europe.

I don't want to clutch at straws but I have a few examples of results since Dortmund reached the final.

Ajax beat Schalke 2 years ago in the Europa League over 2 legs

Schalke lost 6-1 to Real Madrid and if I remember correctly, 5-0 to Chelsea at home the following year.

Red Bull Salzburg knocked out Dortmund a few years ago.

Monchengladbach got battered against City and Barcelona 4-0 alike.

And of course, Wolfsburg bottling a 2-0 lead against Real Madrid and losing 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

Of course, there is also the lack of European finals in the last 15 years.

If you want to find examples of losses in Europe, it is an easy exercise for any country. You could also easily fin strong wins, like BVB 4-0 over Atletico this year, Frankfurt winning 6 of 6 with Lazio and Maseille in the group. Mönchengladbach beating Sevilla, Leverkusen beating Tottenham in England. Lists of results does not say much.

I am not saying that the league is better than the serie A or anything. Just that it is not black or white. Senseless discussion anyway, as what matters is how much fun the league makes for the people involved. Not the quality on some objective barometer. 

1 hour ago, Relling said:

If you want to find examples of losses in Europe, it is an easy exercise for any country. You could also easily fin strong wins, like BVB 4-0 over Atletico this year, Frankfurt winning 6 of 6 with Lazio and Maseille in the group. Mönchengladbach beating Sevilla, Leverkusen beating Tottenham in England. Lists of results does not say much.

I am not saying that the league is better than the serie A or anything. Just that it is not black or white. Senseless discussion anyway, as what matters is how much fun the league makes for the people involved. Not the quality on some objective barometer. 

Like I said, that result was clutching at straws. I wholeheartedly admit this. My example of Serie A has had it's fair share of embarrassing big scoreline results too. Mostly involving Roma, but for me the big difference is they actually qualified for the semi-final at one point.

Very good posts from you though. No excuses and fair in your judgement, both of the Bundesliga and my own posts.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Even Tottenham can't blow this. 3-0 has only been overturned once and I'm still convinced it could have been a fix.

Only once? I recall 3 comeback attempts in the last 2 years. 2 of them being completed.

Roma 3-0 Barcelona

Barcelona 6-1 PSG

Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus

I’m glad Spurs spanked them in the second half because Axel Witsel did that typical shite about “oh the premier league isn’t that good - it’s all marketing.” Mate, you played in fucking China not too long ago and got your way back into a big league and are now up against one of the competitive sides in a competitive league and you’re going to run your mouth? I like Dortmund and I don’t really have any positive/negative feelings towards Spurs at all, yet because of that I wanted Spurs to win.

And how they won. First half was a bit uninspired and Dortmund had some moments.

In that second half Poch altered the tactics to successfully negate everything Dortmund did well. And they basically managed to completely nullify Sancho.

Son is a fantastic player. Well done Spurs & congrats @Storts

28 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m glad Spurs spanked them in the second half because Axel Witsel did that typical shite about “oh the premier league isn’t that good - it’s all marketing.” Mate, you played in fucking China not too long ago and got your way back into a big league and are now up against one of the competitive sides in a competitive league and you’re going to run your mouth? I like Dortmund and I don’t really have any positive/negative feelings towards Spurs at all, yet because of that I wanted Spurs to win.

And how they won. First half was a bit uninspired and Dortmund had some moments.

In that second half Poch altered the tactics to successfully negate everything Dortmund did well. And they basically managed to completely nullify Sancho.

Son is a fantastic player. Well done Spurs & congrats @Storts

In fairness to Witsel, Dortmund had that holier than thou attitude a few years back under Klopp against the Prem and England in general, as if they weren't bailed out by their nearest competitors a few years back. I imagine it's something that runs in the club.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Blue said:

Only once? I recall 3 comeback attempts in the last 2 years. 2 of them being completed.

Roma 3-0 Barcelona

Barcelona 6-1 PSG

Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus

Totally forgot about Roma v Barcelona. Twice then. Juventus wasn't a turnaround either as good an effort as it was.

55 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why would people be arsed about someone slagging 'English football' off? You support a club not a league, unless you're some weird nationalist bellend. Watching the English clubs crash and burn is generally a great joy.

That's an English said as Cannabis said. In the Copa Libertadores I don't care who it is, but I always want the Peruvian sides to do well.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why would people be arsed about someone slagging 'English football' off? You support a club not a league, unless you're some weird nationalist bellend. Watching the English clubs crash and burn is generally a great joy.

I don’t really give a fuck about people slagging English football off, I just see it as fairly disrespectful to Spurs and I hate when players run their fucking mouths saying stupid things. It’s one of the reasons Lovren is annoying, he always runs his mouth before being an embarrassment to himself.

Here I enjoyed watching Dortmund get completely nullified in every sense by Spurs because of that “lads it’s Tottenham” mentality Witsel demonstrated. And if you’re going to be saying shite like that before you play one of the stronger sides of a different league away to them, you better at least turn up and not be made to look second best.

I don’t particularly want English teams to crash out though - I want whoever deserves to go through to go through and only revel in Man Utd crashing out.

I wasn't really surprised that Spurs won as they're an underrated side, totally under the radar while the media spaff off over Citeh and Liverpool. It also goes to show why it's so pathetic and smalltime to mention that PSG had players missing or that United lost Lingard and Martial to injuries - Spiurs have been missing arguably their best two players and they don't cry about it. They just get on with it and spank Dortmund. That's the mentality you need to be successful and I'd love to see them go on and win it after we whimper out in Paris to a team three years older than Ryan Giggs. 

I'd go for the early away goal and completely destroy their confidence. Sitting back is a dangerous (and very boring) game and an early goal would mean Dortmund need to score 5 times which ain't gonna happen

The truth of the matter why Dortmund lost to Spurs is Werder broke BVB in that great DFB Pokal game a couple of weeks ago, they can never recover from losing the greatest game in Pokal history!  Well that and conceding an early goal in the second half.

Having said that, I would rather see Spurs win the UCL then say, uhmm, Bayern.  Some of you Provincial thinkers should open up your horizons a bit.  Stupidity does not need to be hereditary.

• The title was changed to Tottenham 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (1st Leg) - Wednesday 13th February, 2019

Archived