talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (1st Leg) - Wednesday 13th February, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, shut up said:

Arsenal and Chelsea, who are 5th and 6th in the Premier League, would both beat Dortmund over two legs.

bundesliga has gone downhill 

Would they bollocks.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Blue said:

but they embarrass themselves in Europe year in and year out.

Hmm. Up to last season, they (Bayern or Dortmund) got equal to or further than English sides, let alone both getting to the final in 2013, for a number of years.

In fact, last time a British side got further than an English side was way back in 2011, when Man Utd got to the final (Schalke eliminated in semi-finals). That's if we discount Bayern getting beaten in final vs Chelsea a year later.

Hardly embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, I am still in awe and amazed by the oh so many Premier League teams that won the Champions League in recent years. 

And I am in awe and amazement at the German clubs reaching the final each year, let alone win it.

For me the Bundesliga is the 4th best league, behind Serie A, the Premier League and La Liga

Just now, Stan said:

Hmm. Up to last season, they (Bayern or Dortmund) got equal to or further than English sides, let alone both getting to the final in 2013.

In fact, last time a British side got further than an English side was way back in 2011, when Man Utd got to the final (Schalke eliminated in semi-finals). That's if we discount Bayern getting beaten in final vs Chelsea a year later.

Hardly embarrassing.

I always see teams like Schalke, Gladbach and the likes get smashed against better sides, then Dortmund who have set standard underachieve each year. Bayern haven't gotten to the final since 2013.

I also never said anything about the Premier League, my comparison had to do with Serie A which for me has been the better league for a couple of years. Whenever I bring it up, the first argument I hear is always "there are better attendances in Germany" which to me is a very weak point.

Just now, Cannabis said:

Arguing about which league is better based on who has won the tournament is a poor barometer considering Spain have been taking the piss for years. 

I'm not the one who brought it up, a weak argument can only be countered with a lesser weak argument :) 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

And I am in awe and amazement at the German clubs reaching the final each year, let alone win it.

For me the Bundesliga is the 4th best league, behind Serie A, the Premier League and La Liga

Well, you're South American, and we all know South Americans prefer those leagues. So I sense a bit of bias here. But meh, I don't care. Except Juventus, Serie A is a league where old players go to die for me. 

Just now, Tommy said:

Well, you're South American, and we all know South Americans prefer those leagues. So I sense a bit of bias here. But meh, I don't care. Except Juventus, Serie A is a league where old players go to die for me. 

I used to watch Serie A a lot. Today, not so much. I don't watch European football a lot in general outside of the Champions League to be honest. I am more casual these days when it comes to European football.

I say this because Serie A and La Liga are often better in Europe, where as the PL is a growing league tactically. They already have better players, they just needed someone to put the recruits to use. This is where Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino step in. Maybe it was better, but since 2014 it's been a lot worse than some people make it out to be.

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

In England we don't, but we've managed 7 finalist and 2 winners in the same time Germany has managed 1 finalist and no winners

even Scotland has produced more Europa league finalists in the past 15 than the bundesliga xD

God, not sure how good that Rangers team were at the time but on paper today it looks bloody awful xD

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

It might still be a pure league, but they embarrass themselves in Europe year in and year out. Bayern is the only one who you could claim actually make the league respectable, and even they have heavily declined in the last 2 years.

You're a deadset fuckwit. Leverkusen and Schalke had both repped the league pretty well this past decade, making the knockout stages often, Dortmund have made semis and even the final and obviously bayern have been right up there more often than most.

I'm sorry that random premier league clubs like Newcastle and west ham can outspend almost any club on the planet outside of England and 5-8 select other European clubs.

I'm not at all sorry that they spend that money on trash players and play trash football. 

Now would anyone else like to discuss why the Bundeliga is mickey mouse because Spurs at home outplayed a tired as fuck Dortmund for 40 minutes of 90?

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You're a deadset fuckwit. Leverkusen and Schalke had both repped the league pretty well this past decade, making the knockout stages often, Dortmund have made semis and even the final and obviously bayern have been right up there more often than most.

I'm sorry that random premier league clubs like Newcastle and west ham can outspend almost any club on the planet outside of England and 5-8 select other European clubs.

I'm not at all sorry that they spend that money on trash players and play trash football. 

Now would anyone else like to discuss why the Bundeliga is mickey mouse because Spurs at home outplayed a tired as fuck Dortmund for 40 minutes of 90?

We are talking about today, not 6 years ago.

Since 2014 the Bundesliga has been garbage. I'd still say it's the 4th best league in the world but it's not up there with the best of the best.

Serie A and the PL have both been better for a few years now.

22 minutes ago, Blue said:

For me Asperges is behind Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome and Huntingtons. Sadly you have all 4

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Admits he doesn't watch much European Football, yet claims to know everything about European Football. Logical. 

The Champions and Europa League I do watch and I think it's a good barometer to measure several years because it's leagues against other leagues.

The Bundesliga may look of a high standard domestically but when it's the same league against each other, you can't really say how good it actually is.

I also watch at least 1 or 2 European league games every weekend or 2. I do it mostly to keep my knowledge up and not fall under a rock. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I am confident when I say the Bundesliga has fallen behind. They always lose to better teams in Europe.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

If financial fair play was played out fairly, rigorously and how it should be, most Premier League sides, PSG and Real Madrid wouldn't even be allowed to play in European Competitions :ph34r:

That’s not true, we would for a start, proper club, chairman is a fan, doesn’t spend money. 

Edit: see your most caveat. Carry on. Let’s ban them all 

• Subscriber

Also this conversation is boring.

Lets just talk about how bloody brilliant we were second half.

Pochettino masterclass

Vertonghen at 31 and a CB just gave one of the best left wing back performances I’ve ever seen

Son is absolutely sensational, never stops working

Winks just gets better and better and Sissoko is just a completely different man

Love this team so much but still lots to do in Germany 

Just now, Storts said:

That’s not true, we would for a start, proper club, chairman is a fan, doesn’t spend money. 

That's why I said most. Although it feels weird to read the Wikipedia Articles about English clubs, and everyone has an "owner", and they're mostly "Groups", "Companies" or "Organizations".  It just feels unnatural to me. 

3 minutes ago, shut up said:

When Real Madrid used to spend massive money back in the day nobody even mentioned it, they just said Madrid were amazing blah, blah, blah. But now English teams are spending lots of money it's a massive problem and everyone is throwing tantrums. xD

The top 6 EPL clubs (Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester, Manchester the red version and Arsenal) Can outspend every other football team on the planet, bar Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG and Juventus. The rest of the fucking premier league can outspend every other club on the planet bar Stripey Madrid, Dortmund, Maybe Napoli and AC Milan, and some fucking Chinese club. 

Tell me more about how there's no problem

Also, you'd think having that much money and therefor that much theoretical competition would make the premier league clubs win some Eurpoean Silverware pretty often, Guess not though. Too busy breaking transfer records for shite English players and overspending on continental players to compete.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Son is absolutely sensational, never stops working

What a lovely player he is. I always admired him, even when he was at Hamburg and Leverkusen. I was also impressed by the fact that he spoke German with almost no accent despite arriving here when he was already 16. Remarkable guy. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

What a lovely player he is. I always admired him, even when he was at Hamburg and Leverkusen. I was also impressed by the fact that he spoke German with almost no accent despite arriving here when he was already 16. Remarkable guy. 

He really is just a special all round guy, so respectful and such a perfect footballer for club and country. Yeah heard that about his German, and also read how difficult it is for Koreans to speak German so makes it even more impressive. Also scores against Dortmund

• The title was changed to Tottenham 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (1st Leg) - Wednesday 13th February, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived