• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (1st Leg) - Wednesday 13th February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

How do you think the rest of us feel? We broke our transfer record this pre season. 15 million Euros. 

Today I've read that Dortmund and Mönchengladbach are interested in Dodi Lukebabio who is currently on loan at Fortuna Düsseldorf from Watford. And Watford demands 20 Mio Euros for him. Mental. He had some great moments for a lower table Bundesliga side, but he also had some bang average or below par performances. 20 fucking Million. English football has just gone crazy with their image of money and value, honestly. A player had maybe 5 decent performances for a Premier League side, BOOM, he's valued 30 Mio. Absolutely mental. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

How do you think the rest of us feel? We broke our transfer record this pre season. 15 million Euros. 

This is a false argument though, English clubs pay more for worse players, there is an English premium on every deal, so the quality of player you can get for your money be it West Ham or Newcastle or Bremen or Gladbach is different imo

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

This is a false argument though, English clubs pay more for worse players, there is an English premium on every deal, so the quality of player you can get for your money be it West Ham or Newcastle or Bremen or Gladbach is different imo

I did touch on that. But I think a lot of it is to do with English clubs being Brian levels of Jim Broadbent. Remember when stoke spent 15 million pounds on Peter Crouch? He was like 30 at the time, scores about 8 goals a season. What the fuck are you doing???? I'd hang myself TBH

Didn't see 3-0 coming that's for sure. Equally though, thought Spurs had every chance of a win. I know Kane and Alli are out but that's still a capable side on paper. And Dortmund are far from rock solid at the back.

Always rated Jan Vertonghen, hence why he's in my first XI on the one player from one club thread in the PL section. But to play out of position and do that shows the ability of the man. 

Good for England as well, really important we have representation in the latter stages. About time we started to get a stranglehold on this competition again really given the financial power.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Blue said:

We are talking about today, not 6 years ago.

Since 2014 the Bundesliga has been garbage. I'd still say it's the 4th best league in the world but it's not up there with the best of the best.

Serie A and the PL have both been better for a few years now.

Wait, can't talk about 6 years ago but 2014 onwards is okay xD?! Only a year's difference but it suits your agenda and argument so it's okay! 

I don't get the use of "league purity" in the argument. Just because the Bundesliga doesn't have these sugar daddy's, doesn't make the league any better than the likes I've mentioned. If they performed well enough in Europe I wouldn't be having this debate, but they don't and that's how it is. There is always an excuse from Bundesliga fans to try and make their league look better. First it was "better attendances" and now it's "league purity". It doesn't work when your league consistently underperforms in Europe.

I don't want to clutch at straws but I have a few examples of results since Dortmund reached the final.

Ajax beat Schalke 2 years ago in the Europa League over 2 legs

Schalke lost 6-1 to Real Madrid and if I remember correctly, 5-0 to Chelsea at home the following year.

Red Bull Salzburg knocked out Dortmund a few years ago.

Monchengladbach got battered against City and Barcelona 4-0 alike.

And of course, Wolfsburg bottling a 2-0 lead against Real Madrid and losing 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

Of course, there is also the lack of European finals in the last 15 years.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Wait, can't talk about 6 years ago but 2014 onwards is okay xD?! Only a year's difference but it suits your agenda and argument so it's okay! 

6 years ago is a very long time in football. Whoever was a young prodigy then is likely an important first team player or a club star now. 

No agenda here buddy. I just don't see how the Bundesliga is any better than the 3 leagues I mentioned when they hardly qualify for European finals and often get battered. Today was an example, and no it's not just 1 game. I've actually lost count of how many times they've been smashed in Europe since 2013.

Dortmund can still turn this around. It's unlikely, but it's the likes of them that need to turn this little league slump around with their good run. We'll see if anything changes but right now, I'm not betting on it.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

6 years ago is a very long time in football. Whoever was a young prodigy then is likely an important first team player or a club star now. 

No agenda here buddy. I just don't see how the Bundesliga is any better than the 3 leagues I mentioned when they hardly qualify for European finals and often get battered. Today was an example, and no it's not just 1 game. I've actually lost count of how many times they've been smashed in Europe since 2013.

Dortmund can still turn this around. It's unlikely, but it's the likes of them that need to turn this little league slump around with their good run. We'll see if anything changes but right now, I'm not betting on it.

Hardly qualifying for any finals does not equate to playing in a league that's lesser than another.

Premier League and La Liga are by far the two that stand out. I'd say Serie A and Bundesliga are interchangeable at times. 

For the past few seasons Serie A for the most part has been boring as fuck with Juve constantly winning and Napoli coming close only once. Likewise with Germany with Bayern winning everything but at least that looks like stopping this season and I hope Dortmund continue their good run in the league. At least just to break the recent monotony. 

Just now, Stan said:

Hardly qualifying for any finals does not equate to playing in a league that's lesser than another.

Premier League and La Liga are by far the two that stand out. I'd say Serie A and Bundesliga are interchangeable at times. 

For the past few seasons Serie A for the most part has been boring as fuck with Juve constantly winning and Napoli coming close only once. Likewise with Germany with Bayern winning everything but at least that looks like stopping this season and I hope Dortmund continue their good run in the league. At least just to break the recent monotony

Actually I would say it is. Maybe in just one season, then it's a poor barometer. It's been years since another Bundesliga team reached the semi finals of the UCL. If that doesn't matter, then what is the point of European competitions? Like I said, it's hard to measure league quality just by domestic football alone. The best way to measure it is a league against another league.

My example where I listed the results is clutching at straws, I admit. Roma have also been battered many times over the last few years, but I think the difference is teams other than Juventus have made the semi-finals in the UCL. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Blue said:

My example where I listed the results is clutching at straws, I admit. Roma have also been battered many times over the last few years, but I think the difference is teams other than Juventus have made the semi-finals in the UCL. 

Literally only Roma last season if we're discounting Juve from Italian league. And discounting Bayern, Dortmund last made the semis (and then the final) in 2013. Before that, it was Schalke on 2011. For Italy, it was Inter winning it in 2010. 

Just now, Stan said:

Literally only Roma last season if we're discounting Juve from Italian league. And discounting Bayern, Dortmund last made the semis (and then the final) in 2013. Before that, it was Schalke on 2011. For Italy, it was Inter winning it in 2010. 

And Napoli and Fiorentina in the Europa League.

I could have sworn Schalke have made it the year they lost to Ajax but it was only quarter finals it appears.

I actually checked and the last time a German side has made the Europa league semi final was in 2010.

Since then, more Portuguese teams (a fuck load more) have made it, as have 2 Ukranian sides.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Rick said:

Son is a seriously good player. Would absolutely love him at Liverpool.

Congratulations on the result Stortsy. Not over yet, but that's a hell of a cushion to take to Germany 

Completely agree. Son would be class in your team too, would fit it perfectly 

I’m with you, definitely not over, we can easily concede a couple of early goals but as you say as cushions go this is a nice one to have 

Despite all my critiques, I'm with Storts and Rick that this tie isn't over. Dortmund have not been the same since 2013 but this is their best team since then. I do think Tottenham will get the job done but with all the comebacks that we've been having in the UCL the past few years, I feel the standards have evened out a bit. Especially with Bayern, Barca and Madrid not being anywhere near as dominant as they used to.

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

For me Asperges is behind Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome and Huntingtons. Sadly you have all 4

I actually am autistic, but that doesn't make a lot of what I say any less true. We're normal just like everybody else, just a bit shit socially.

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

If you were playing the sympathy card, you're dealing to the wrong hombre.

Happy Birthday.

I'm actually not xD I didn't mind your comment. I could tell you weren't being 100% serious (and even if you were I'm not that sensitive).

Only reason I said it was because in general the special needs comment was getting old, so I thought I may as well just say it. I think people will be fine with it (some may have even guessed it)

Thanks for the birthday wish!

9 hours ago, Storts said:

Also this conversation is boring.

Lets just talk about how bloody brilliant we were second half.

Pochettino masterclass

Vertonghen at 31 and a CB just gave one of the best left wing back performances I’ve ever seen

Son is absolutely sensational, never stops working

Winks just gets better and better and Sissoko is just a completely different man

Love this team so much but still lots to do in Germany 

Any beach pics?

• The title was changed to Tottenham 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (1st Leg) - Wednesday 13th February, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived