talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your social class

football forum

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Not in this country friend.

Harder than here bro, but even if you want to stay out the markets, crypto and the other things i mentioned and you are more of a real economy man you can buy a few cheap cars and put them to work with Uber, cars are cheaper there than here.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Berserker said:

With that kind of money and investing it wisely you can live purely out of the yields and not have to work a single day more. But it's ok if you want to study, depending on the career you can recoup the money you have spent on education and then invest it.  :D

Honestly mate I think you’d need at least $1M to do that here, and even then it would most likely need to be more than that. 

That could deliver $60k p.a. Before tax on a 6% return That will be about the median wage here I’d think.

I dont know what the class categories even are in Australia tbh.

For me, I know I’m not working class. Definitely not upper class. I’d suggest upper middle class. 

I dont think working class is really that different from middle class here tbh. 

Most labourers I know  here are on a decent wicket. At most construction sites the labourers are taking home 6 figures. Primary teachers, Retail workers, Unskilled labourers seem to be more of the low paying professions here of people I know,

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Honestly mate I think you’d need at least $1M to do that here, and even then it would most likely need to be more than that. 

That could deliver $60k p.a. Before tax on a 6% return That will be about the median wage here I’d think.

Depends on what you do with it, in another thread i mentioned that in the recent crisis we have had here there wereshares from local companies (that are listed in the NYSE) that went up more than 50% in less than two months after having fallen very low, and you can invest so even if you take into account income tax there that is around 22-30% there if i'm not mistaken, there's money to be made.

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

Depends on what you do with it, in another thread i mentioned that in the recent crisis we have had here there wereshares from local companies (that are listed in the NYSE) that went up more than 50% in less than two months after having fallen very low, and you can invest so even if you take into account income tax there that is around 22-30% there if i'm not mistaken, there's money to be made.

There is but there is high risk in those trades, and I suspect the returns in that will come close to gambling, in that in the end the laws of averages prevail and the :”house” always wins.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

There is but there is high risk in those trades, and I suspect the returns in that will come close to gambling, in that in the end the laws of averages prevail and the :”house” always wins.

It's a very small risk compared to other ventures if you know what you are doing, as if you buy shares of say a big international bank or the biggest energy provider in your country in a timely manner worst case scenario it can take you months or years to recoup the money but the company will most likely not vanish into thin air unless the world explodes. And there's no house in there luckily.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Inverted said:

Well my dad works a non-skilled manual job, my mum has generally been a housewife all my life, and I was the 2nd in my entire extended family to go to uni (1st being my older brother), so by birth I'd call myself working class. 

But I'm most of the way to being a qualified lawyer, which is basically the most middle-class profession there is. 

So yeah, call me what you like, doesn't really change my way of thinking about the world. At the moment I'd say I'm a pretty much broke postgrad student with a working-class background who's had the privilege of a pretty intense education at a prestigious uni. 

Pretty similar to my background; my parents and grandparents mostly did blue-collar jobs throughout their lives, I started working odd jobs when I was 13 and I was also the 2nd in my entire extended family to go to uni (my grandma being the first). 

I'm currently an independently contracted skilled professional with decent income and a postgraduate degree from a good university, whatever that makes me haha. I think the traditional definition of classes is very much outdated and not that relevant anymore despite the fact that differences in social status will always exist. 

8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I rent, but I have 6 figures in the bank. But I hate my job. I'm going to go to uni in a couple of months. If I hate it I'll try for the army. Fuck life. It just isn't for me

What’s your profession mate?oDes it pay well?

I’ve been staying in a Children’s hospital for the past 2 weeks and have been giving thought to Nursing as an occupation. In the ward we are in there are 80 nurses. Its 80-90% female. Almost all the staff are between 22 and 38. They seem a great tight knit group. Plenty of the female nurses are gorgeous, and the guys are good blokes. They get along well, and seem to interact socially and have a really enjoyable workplace.. 

I work in an office where the work force is male dominated, average tenure is 25 years, the average employee age is 40+, and of an office of 600 you;d be luckily to get 30 out for drinks on a Friday.... I see huge attraction in any profession where there is a more vibrant group of people to engage with,

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Here is a BBC quiz to find your class 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

I'm an emergent service worker.

by that test, I'm categorised as 'established middle class' but that's purely based on who I know 'socially' but I don't necessarily agree with that xD. Financially I'm world's apart. I have savings and in what I would think an average-paid job. I'd have thought I'd just be working class to be honest.

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

by that test, I'm categorised as 'established middle class' but that's purely based on who I know 'socially' but I don't necessarily agree with that xD. Financially I'm world's apart. I have savings and in what I would think an average-paid job. I'd have thought I'd just be working class to be honest.

It's largely based on your income, if you were to put the lowest income and no savings it would class you as working class regardless if you put you only socialized with CEOS.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I dont know what the class categories even are in Australia tbh.

For me, I know I’m not working class. Definitely not upper class. I’d suggest upper middle class. 

I dont think working class is really that different from middle class here tbh. 

Most labourers I know  here are on a decent wicket. At most construction sites the labourers are taking home 6 figures. Primary teachers, Retail workers, Unskilled labourers seem to be more of the low paying professions here of people I know,

Primary teachers? Interesting to chuck them with retail. You know you can get public school teacher salaries on relevant state websites. Also - there’s no difference in primary and secondary teaching salaries (excluding admin) It’s all experience  dependent. I won’t get rich being a teacher but if you’ve been teaching for 7 years in WA you’re surpassing $100k. 

Some trades get incredible money - particular here, but you can’t do that forever and your body pays the price I suppose. Insane that your general labourers in VIC are taking home more than 100k after tax is that’s what you’re suggesting. Or are they skilled workers?

My grandfather was the only one among his siblings to complete matriculation and opting for a job in a city than farm work. Love him for that :x 

while my grandfather from my mother's side was in the British Indian Army, fought the Japanese in Burma :shoot: although he died before my birth long after the war, after serving in the Civil Defense department, well traveled man that's what i have heard.

My father was the only one among his siblings to graduate/post-graduation and my mother was a secondary teacher until i was born.

There are plenty of graduates/post-graduates among my cousins/siblings/social circle so more like i have to do graduation :coffee: although being a trucker is still an option :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Berserker said:

Invest it, probably not enough for property in Australia (it's the easiest for inexperienced people) but there are a lot other options, cryptocurrencies, shares, loans, bonds, etc.

Or in a football club in Barkingside currently playing at Step 6 in the pyramid but wanting to climb higher. Now if only I knew of one. 🤔

2 hours ago, Storts said:

Same yeah, I fall into that category personally now.

Growing up certainly in the middle to upper middle class. I’m from the Home Counties xD

But do you live in a house? a very big house in the country?

3 hours ago, Stan said:

You are a Gujarati. You lot are best with money. It's in your blood. Hence, so many successful businessmen are Gujaratis.

I won't be surprised of you have a giant stack of money hidden or invested somewhere. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

You are a Gujarati. You lot are best with money. It's in your blood. Hence, so many successful businessmen are Gujaratis.

I won't be surprised of you have a giant stack of money hidden or invested somewhere. 

I wouldn't call it a giant stack but more recently (last few years) I have tried to be more shrewd with money but still enjoy myself where I can. The biggest investment I probably have is the flat that I rent out. Meaning I can live at home and save more. Standard Indian way xD 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I wouldn't call it a giant stack but more recently (last few years) I have tried to be more shrewd with money but still enjoy myself where I can. The biggest investment I probably have is the flat that I rent out. Meaning I can live at home and save more. Standard Indian way xD 

And you thought you were working class? You'll be one of the first against the wall when the time comes, landlord exploiter of the people.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

And you thought you were working class? You'll be one of the first against the wall when the time comes, landlord exploiter of the people.

first against the wall?

Archived