talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gordon Banks: World Cup winning goalkeeper dies aged 81

football forum

• Subscriber

R.I.P. Gordon

England's 1966 World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks has died aged 81.

Regarded as one of the game's greatest in his position, Banks was named Fifa goalkeeper of the year six times and earned 73 caps for England.

He is perhaps best known for his wonder save from Pele during the 1970 World Cup against Brazil.

Born in Sheffield, he won the League Cup with Stoke and Leicester, before retiring in 1973.

"It is with great sadness that we announce that Gordon passed away peacefully overnight," his family said.

"We are devastated to lose him but we have so many happy memories and could not have been more proud of him."

Banks started his career at Chesterfield, before joining Leicester in 1959 for £7,000, and it was at the Foxes that he established himself as England's number one, earning his first international cap in 1963 against Scotland.

He played in every game of the 1966 World Cup campaign, culminating in the 4-2 victory over West Germany in the final at Wembley.

In eight years at Leicester, he was runner-up in two FA Cup finals and won the League Cup in 1964, before joining Stoke in 1967.

He stayed at the Potters until his retirement from professional football, winning the League Cup again in 1972, the club's only major honour.

Later that year he lost the sight in his right eye after a car crash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47196017

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

A legend for club and country. The only player to ever win a World Cup while playing for Leicester. I hope we honour him properly although I am sure after what I've seen in the past few months that this is a given.

Rest in peace one of the greats.

Archived