talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Old technology memories

football forum

• Subscriber

Back in the day what do you really miss technology wise? I miss the walkman, I know the Sony one was a phenomenon but I never had a Sony one, but other brands. Video cassettes were immense, hiring movies was so much fun.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Nintendo 64. Keep debating buying one (or looking in my parents loft for my old machine) and setting it up.

Just not sure if you can do it to a modern TV as the Nintendo has the red/yellow/white wires and SCART lead? @Rab did I see you playing one recently on Insta?

I did indeed acquire one recently and the colours were a bit too bright. I need to figure out how to adjust my TV for it.

57 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Nintendo 64. Keep debating buying one (or looking in my parents loft for my old machine) and setting it up.

Just not sure if you can do it to a modern TV as the Nintendo has the red/yellow/white wires and SCART lead? @Rab did I see you playing one recently on Insta?

N64's used the old aerial connection so if you wanted to hook one up from the box, you're out of luck. 

Like what @Rab mentioned, I nabbed a cable from Amazon for not a lot and it does the job. 

• Subscriber

We still have 2 old Daewoo VCR that still work in our cupboard plus a load of old VCR Tapes, mainly cartoons that we would put on for our grandsons when they were younger but nowadays they are quite content with their x-box and i-pad things and the VCR & Tapes are medieval to them.

I can remember getting one of these when I was a wee nipper, no earphones just riding around with it on my bike swinging on the handlebars and me singing away lol.

download.jpg.4259701b60179b82a20a319c551e7217.jpg 

• Subscriber

Good topic!

The Walkman (and cassette players in general) - absolutely THE highlight of my early teenage years... Carried it everywhere and even managed to listen to it during classes sometimes xD 
VHS - renting movies was indeed fun! We had a special deal running in my local video rental shop where you'd get 3 movies for the price of 2; and I also remember there was some sort of a small fine if you didn't rewind the tapes before returning them xD )
Polaroid cameras - getting those instant pics was nothing short of amazing back then
Film photography in general - better colours, more engaging process, and the excitement waiting for the film to be developed...
Vinyl record player - taking the record out of the sleeve, putting the needle on, flipping sides... and that inherent warmth of sound that digital audio just can't match
Old slide projectors - the ones where you'd hang a white screen on the wall, turn the lights off and watch the images projected
Old typewriter - didn't use that much myself but my dad did and the sound of it used to be so soothing

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, nudge said:

Polaroid cameras - getting those instant pics was nothing short of amazing back then

Bloody hell, forgot about them, they were great, I can remember buying two rolls of film that cost a bomb but it was worthwhile, take a photo, see it slide out then wait a couple of minutes then peel the back off and wave it around for a few seconds making sure they were dry, those were the days :x

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Bloody hell, forgot about them, they were great, I can remember buying two rolls of film that cost a bomb but it was worthwhile, take a photo, see it slide out then wait a couple of minutes then peel the back off and wave it around for a few seconds making sure they were dry, those were the days :x

They still make them :D Maybe we should consider getting one...

https://eu.polaroidoriginals.com/products/onestep600-3film-bundle/?rfsn=550557.16c7b

• Subscriber

We still have this beauty in our cupboard that we have never used, the wife's big sis gave it to us about 8 years ago and they got an up-to-date one then but even now they are obsolete really as we just (well we do) use our mobiles, an Amstrad Fidelity Camcorder  with batteries and plug, they had (her big sis & hubby) it for years and they would always take it on their holidays in either Bulgaria or the USA, and when they came home they would invite us around and plug it in the tv and show us the holiday videos, with wine & eats naturally lol.

52001215_10157075822922855_8663457418425925632_n.thumb.jpg.11bc8876e09838074f75aa6645603b49.jpg

One of mine was a shock present from my stepdad when he came back from work in America. It was this handheld machine that I never heard of before, but came with a fascinating puzzler that got me hooked. Unfortunately, it required 4 AA batteries often to keep using the thing. 

Any guesses (should get this quite easily)? 

8 hours ago, nudge said:

Old typewriter - didn't use that much myself but my dad did and the sound of it used to be so soothing

Just get a mechanical keyboard with blue keys, and you'll have the sound.

I bought it, and regret having used cheap keyboards.

• Administrator

I miss taking my minidisc player to school and making CDs (several of them!) which would be akin to making a Spotify play-list these days to listen to for the next few days. The amount of blank CD re-writeables I'd waste money on would be ridiculous.

The other thing I remember (not necessarily miss) is having to sit closer to the TV when playing on the PlayStation purely because of the cables/wires that you'd have to plug in to the console. You wonder how you managed it and how much of an inconvenience back then it was when you think how easy controllers are to use these days. 

I don't play any fighter games these days (Tekken was the main one) but I used to button-bash like mad. Then I found other uses for my fingers I guess xD

Downloading loads of songs or albums from LimeWire and then wondering why the computer would run slow because of all the viruses that came with it!

Lastly one thing I loved, as many a teen would in the 00s, would be to finish school and log on to MSN and stay online for hours. Countless and pointless conversations or group chats, nothing but text speak allowed, getting ridiculously excited at being able to air to the world what you were listening to on Windows Media Player by linking it to your MSN account, the cringe-worthy statuses full of love hearts and names of your crush. Cringing just thinking about it but it was a big part of that time of life!

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

One of mine was a shock present from my stepdad when he came back from work in America. It was this handheld machine that I never heard of before, but came with a fascinating puzzler that got me hooked. Unfortunately, it required 4 AA batteries often to keep using the thing. 

Any guesses (should get this quite easily)? 

Was it a gameboy?

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Kettles with whistles, my mum would fill it up, stick on the gas cooker then go and sit down until she heard it whistling then get up and go and make a cup of tea.

2834643153_571251928b.jpg

I still have one of those and they are just great.

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

These camera cartridges

1200px-Pocketfilm.jpg

Don't know if they are even used anymore but I remember my dad having a camera that used to take these and they were so convenient for putting into cameras.

I think they still make those 110 film cartridges particularly for lomography! 

• Subscriber

The Mega drive. We had an old son of a bitch in my parents' room where we played Terminator 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, and some football game based on the 1992 season. It met its natural end at some point and me and my brother were so gutted my Dad got us a replacement. It was so out of date by then it cost about a fiver xD.

Archived