talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Old technology memories

football forum

I used to remember sitting down in front of my Amstrad 464 and waiting for about 30 minutes for the game screen to load via tape.. line by painful line until the picture was nearly complete then just as you thought it was done you would get a stupid 'read error B' message and have to eject it and start all over again... 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

The Mega drive. We had an old son of a bitch in my parents' room where we played Terminator 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, and some football game based on the 1992 season. It met its natural end at some point and me and my brother were so gutted my Dad got us a replacement. It was so out of date by then it cost about a fiver xD.

We couldn't stop playing that in our house... There was a golf game on it as well, can't remember the name PGA golf I think it was and me and the missus used to play it for hours after the kids went to bed trying to outdo each other on it... I do miss them days

15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

We couldn't stop playing that in our house... There was a golf game on it as well, can't remember the name PGA golf I think it was and me and the missus used to play it for hours after the kids went to bed trying to outdo each other on it... I do miss them days

I used to have a double game pack from EA (back when they weren't trying to be dicks) that had Madden and an NHL game. Madden was hardly touched (I didn't know anything about america football back then), but the NHL game was great fun, mainly because we'd start just as many fights in the game as we scored goals (you could twat the opposition when they scored). 

Nothing ever topped Speedball 2 in the sports genre though. 

5 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I used to have a double game pack from EA (back when they weren't trying to be dicks) that had Madden and an NHL game. Madden was hardly touched (I didn't know anything about america football back then), but the NHL game was great fun, mainly because we'd start just as many fights in the game as we scored goals (you could twat the opposition when they scored). 

Nothing ever topped Speedball 2 in the sports genre though. 

I think I remember that... Road Rash was my all time favourite... 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

That game was absolutely amazing; absolutely everything about it was cool. That chain whip... :x xD 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

That game was absolutely amazing; absolutely everything about it was cool. That chain whip... :x xD 

Yes! I loved being able to punch and kick other riders so randomly xD 

39 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nokia phones that would have the battery life of at least a week. And they'd be resilient and solid as fuck.

Holy shit I forgot about them phones. They were so piss easy to use, unlike the Sony.

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yea.. xD used to be able to grab the police sticks and dish it out as well... 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yes! I loved being able to punch and kick other riders so randomly xD 

It was great to play... I liked kicking riders into on coming traffic or into trees... worked my way up to the top bike the 'Diablo' if memory serves, went so fast you couldn't keep it on the road on corners.. blew the opposition away!! It went so fast you could fall off about 4 times and still win the race you were that far in front.. xD

24 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Yea.. xD used to be able to grab the police sticks and dish it out as well... 

It was great to play... I liked kicking riders into on coming traffic or into trees... worked my way up to the top bike the 'Diablo' if memory serves, went so fast you couldn't keep it on the road on corners.. blew the opposition away!! It went so fast you could fall off about 4 times and still win the race you were that far in front.. xD

Good old Road Rash. The version I played was on PS1 as part of a charity compilation disc (I think). That version had cut scenes depending on the scenario (if you won, lost, got busted etc). Forgot how ridiculous some of them were. xD

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I was never particularly arsed with Need for Speed. Preferred the Burnout series when they started in the 00's (until EA did what it normally does, buy out the competition and eventually kill the series). 

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Burnout was epic. I remember buying Burnout Revenge though and for some reason is stopped working about a day or two after I bought it, for some weird reason I didn't want to tell my parents that it was broke (I thought they might be upset at wasting money) so never told them. Sad times. 

Takedown was the absolute shit though, spent hours on it. Paradise City was just, meh.

Was Burnout the one where you could control where your (wrecked) car could go while it was mid-air xD?!

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, nudge said:

Are you kidding me??? It was THE shit in the 80s :D 

Think they were called Casio Databank or something like that. So simple and the worst part was that if you had big fingers operating the metal strap ones was horrible so Casio made a rubber button version that imo was so much better.

• Subscriber

I remember Ceefax(BBC)/Teletext(ITV) Football scores you could reduce the text to the bottom of the tv screen for football up-date scores while watching something else, sitting there and it would flash up Man United 1 v (whoever) and the name of the scorer, don't do them anymore since 2012 and the digital changeover

download.thumb.png.c2d17deb5bf08774575297d0ceb6ab8f.png

05fd8ebf2cec179b0efb6c8748384909.gif?w=1

5 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

I remember Ceefax(BBC)/Teletext(ITV) Football scores you could reduce the text to the bottom of the tv screen for football up-date scores while watching something else, sitting there and it would flash up Man United 1 v (whoever) and the name of the scorer, don't do them anymore since 2012 since the digital changeover

download.thumb.png.c2d17deb5bf08774575297d0ceb6ab8f.png

05fd8ebf2cec179b0efb6c8748384909.gif?w=1

I miss this. :(

Archived