talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dune 2021 [Potential Spoilers!]

football forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Meh, it's ok, although I also find it kind of underwhelming and think it looks just like any blockbuster trailer. Also, is this supposed to be a young adult adaptation? Because Paul Atreides looks, acts and talks like an emo teenager.

Sign of the times really. I found it odd when he was cast and I saw who was playing him but I suppose they are going in a different direction with the way this is being done.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, nudge said:

Meh, it's ok, although I also find it kind of underwhelming and think it looks just like any blockbuster trailer. Also, is this supposed to be a young adult adaptation? Because Paul Atreides looks, acts and talks like an emo teenager.

7B7E6D6D-67D1-4EE6-9780-14674C91F514.jpeg

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Rick said:

7B7E6D6D-67D1-4EE6-9780-14674C91F514.jpeg

xD Fair enough if you like it. I still hope it turns out to be a great movie, but the trailer somewhat disappointed me. The Dune is not supposed to be your cliched "teen hero's journey", quite the opposite actually - the trailer made it look like exactly that though, in a Hollywood blockbuster style. Understandable in a way, as the trailer is meant to attract the general audience, but I really hope there's much more to the movie than the trailer makes it look like.

I don’t believe Villeneuve would make a run of the mill adaption. He has been going on about how Dune is his dream film and he finally got his wish. I’d assume it to be safe in his hands. After all, look at what he did with Bladerunner 2049. Huge budget, but he didn’t make a Hollywood blockbuster with it. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Rick said:

I don’t believe Villeneuve would make a run of the mill adaption. He has been going on about how Dune is his dream film and he finally got his wish. I’d assume it to be safe in his hands. After all, look at what he did with Bladerunner 2049. Huge budget, but he didn’t make a Hollywood blockbuster with it. 

Let's hope so. I'll hold my expectations back for now and hope the movie will blow me away once it's released :D 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

The main trailer of Dune is epic. I was skeptical after the first one, but this new one is absolutely breathtaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

I liked it too. I can't tell which of the characters is really going to put in a strong performance because they all look like they are perfect from a casting perspective. But, we shall find out in about three months which is quite good all things considered and delays we've seen with other projects.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Spike said:

I've heard nothing but extremely negative things about this movie, from everything including cast, direction, soundtrack, and script.

Really? What I'm hearing is fairly positive reviews, which say that the movie is not without flaws, but it's still a very solid adaptation. What gives me hope is that the novel readers seem to enjoy it, while the negative reviews are coming in from non-readers mostly. Apparently, without previous knowledge of the source material, it might be quite hard to connect to the characters and follow the story.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Really? What I'm hearing is fairly positive reviews, which say that the movie is not without flaws, but it's still a very solid adaptation. What gives me hope is that the novel readers seem to enjoy it, while the negative reviews are coming in from non-readers mostly. Apparently, without previous knowledge of the source material, it might be quite hard to connect to the characters and follow the story.

From the people I've heard from (readers, seen the Lynch movie), it seems to be a near consensus it does the book no justice and that despite it's flaws the Lynch adaption is far superior in every aspect. The biggest critique that seems to repeat is that Villeneuve seems 'overwhelmed' in direction.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

From the people I've heard from (readers, seen the Lynch movie), it seems to be a near consensus it does the book no justice and that despite it's flaws the Lynch adaption is far superior in every aspect. The biggest critique that seems to repeat is that Villeneuve seems 'overwhelmed' in direction.

Hmmm so mixed opinions then. Now I'm even more looking forward to it xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Hmmm so mixed opinions then. Now I'm even more looking forward to it xD 

I'm not particularly interested in seeing it. While I like Dune, it does have a very 'young adult fiction' feeling to it, and no matter what it always seem the adaptions of those sorts of novels seem to fall flat. As if the script writers struggle to adapt the tone and themes from novel to film. I hope you like it but I'll probably give it a pass for the time being.

I also think it looks really ugly and Timothee Chalamet doesn't do anything for me as Paul. xD Would rather have a 60 year old McLachlan reprise.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I'm not particularly interested in seeing it. While I like Dune, it does have a very 'young adult fiction' feeling to it, and no matter what it always seem the adaptions of those sorts of novels seem to fall flat. As if the script writers struggle to adapt the tone and themes from novel to film. I hope you like it but I'll probably give it a pass for the time being.

I also think it looks really ugly and Timothee Chalamet doesn't do anything for me as Paul. xD Would rather have a 60 year old McLachlan reprise.

Yeah, I also got the "teen and young adult fiction" vibes from the first trailer, think I even complained about it in this thread xD But the latest ones looked much better, and I kept my hopes low anyway, so hopefully I won't be too disappointed... 

• Subscriber

A somewhat longer review now that I have slept on it.

The visuals are absolutely incredible. So beautiful, so epic. The worldbuilding is amazing, especially the level of detail which is mind blowing. The casting is perfect, the characters are well developed and interesting. I wasn't sure about Chalamet playing Paul, but he nailed the role. No emo teen vibes, either. The storytelling is quality. I particularly liked the pace of it - somewhat slow, but not too drawn out and not boring at all; it kept me glued to the screen throughout the movie. The musical score is eery and very fitting. The ending might seem a bit abrupt, but as it says at the start, this is Dune: Part1, and it covers about half of the original book. The only negative about that is having to wait for years for Part 2 now, but other than that, I'd say that Villeneuve nailed it and managed to adapt the source material really well, engaging both readers and non-readers alike.

Highly recommended.

• The title was changed to Dune 2021 [Potential Spoilers!]

Archived