talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich (1st Leg) - Tuesday 19th February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A year ago Bayern would have been favourites. Now Liverpool are. This shows how far they've come in the last year. I think they'll progress over the two legs but may struggle a bit in this leg without VVD. 

I fancy Sturridge to get the winner tonight if he's involved

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

More CL finals played, more CL matches won overall. 

Thought you were talking about head to head matches. They're undoubtedly more experienced in recent years, being consistent quarter/semi-finalists. Finals they reached 6 or 7 years ago don't really hold much relevance with the two current sides though, a lot has changed since then.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

It shocks me liverpool fans aren't more pessimistic about this game. 

I'm pretty sure we'll lose or maybe scrape a draw.

We have no defense, and we're playing one of the best attacks in Europe who've only dropped 3 points in the league since late November. 

Just because it's Europe people think we'll pull something out of our ass but worth noting Bayern have a great record against us and are a side with even more pedigree in the competition. 

Don’t worry lad, I’m pessimistic

34 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

The trick is to set your expectations as low as possible, my body is ready. Liverpool is the better team and will probably comfortably progress. Our teams been a yoyo all season and been a bit of a mess tbh.

Form goes out the window in big European matches imo. I think Bayern are going to see a lineup with that makeshift defensive pairing and no Firmino and his energy up front and it’s going to make them believe they’ve got a good chance at getting a result at Anfield and getting precious away goals.

I hope Firmino’s better from his flu and is fit enough to play to his best today.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Form goes out the window in big European matches imo. I think Bayern are going to see a lineup with that makeshift defensive pairing and no Firmino and his energy up front and it’s going to make them believe they’ve got a good chance at getting a result at Anfield and getting precious away goals.

I hope Firmino’s better from his flu and is fit enough to play to his best today.

Thats fair. The one problem area we still have is a leaky defence, you still have 2/3 of your front 3 and I think they will be a handful either way. Müller for James is a bit of a wash, James hasnt had alot of gametime he could be a bit rusty but hes looked good when hes had the chance. Coman and Goretzka both picked up knocks it sounds as if Coman will play but unsure on Gortetzka which would be a big loss (TZ claims he will play but well see) Javi Martinez would be the likely one to take his place if he cant go. Gnabry will be in for Robben, Gnabrys played well in his absence.  This would be our expected lineup If i had to venture a guess:

Bayern_LP.png

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Cicero said:

CHO genuinely expects to start over Gnabry and Coman? 

The good news for him is that both players are seemingly injury prone and theres plenty of games to go around. With likely Robben and Ribery departing as well, we will absolutely be looking for more wingers CHO or not.

6 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

The good news for him is that both players are seemingly injury prone and theres plenty of games to go around. With likely Robben and Ribery departing as well, we will absolutely be looking for more wingers CHO or not.

Pedro and Willian are both 30+. Hazard likely to leave. 

Seems as though it is equal opportunity so it only leaves me to believe CHO really dislikes Sarri.

55 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats fair. The one problem area we still have is a leaky defence, you still have 2/3 of your front 3 and I think they will be a handful either way. Müller for James is a bit of a wash, James hasnt had alot of gametime he could be a bit rusty but hes looked good when hes had the chance. Coman and Goretzka both picked up knocks it sounds as if Coman will play but unsure on Gortetzka which would be a big loss (TZ claims he will play but well see) Javi Martinez would be the likely one to take his place if he cant go. Gnabry will be in for Robben, Gnabrys played well in his absence.  This would be our expected lineup If i had to venture a guess:

Bayern_LP.png

The picture won't load for me, unfortunately. My big worry is Fabinho isn't the most convincing as part of a back 4 and lately has established himself as an important player in our midfield (not as important as Gini Wijnaldum, mind you - but what Fabinho brings to the midfield is what we've been crying out for in the midfield for years imo). Against Brighton, Glenn Murray gave him a hard time at CB... so fuck knows how he'll do against Lewandowski, I hope he does well but I'm pretty worried about how he'll do.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

The picture won't load for me, unfortunately. My big worry is Fabinho isn't the most convincing as part of a back 4 and lately has established himself as an important player in our midfield (not as important as Gini Wijnaldum, mind you - but what Fabinho brings to the midfield is what we've been crying out for in the midfield for years imo). Against Brighton, Glenn Murray gave him a hard time at CB... so fuck knows how he'll do against Lewandowski, I hope he does well but I'm pretty worried about how he'll do.

I'll be honest, I don't remember Fabinho having a difficult time at Brighton. Murray put one on him early on and Fabinho got him back later in the game. Away from the physical side, I remember him being very comfortable to be honest but that was with VVD next to him. It's not ideal for us but I don't think it's enough of a reason for people to be so pessimistic. Lewandowski is obviously a very different prospect to a limited player like Murray though.

Bayern look old and creaky nowadays (even the less older players), I dont think they can get anything from this, would like to see Alphonso Davies get a few minutes though.  Having said that, Liverpool have not been looking great either lately. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Cicero said:

Pedro and Willian are both 30+. Hazard likely to leave. 

Seems as though it is equal opportunity so it only leaves me to believe CHO really dislikes Sarri.

Thats fair. I know he was getting more game time around when the rumours where making the rounds but since I've read its been depleted? something seems amiss there.

12 hours ago, Panna King said:

Munich will get battered, they will be unable to handle the pace of Liverpool, Sule is awful and just another version of Hummels. 

Disagree completely on Süle, hes been a great aquisition in general. Boateng has been the liability.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I want Liverpool to win but I think your focus is on the league and they will over 2 legs. Hope I'm wrong though

5 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats fair. I know he was getting more game time around when the rumours where making the rounds but since I've read its been depleted? something seems amiss there.

Disagree completely on Süle, hes been a great aquisition in general. Boateng has been the liability.

Well we have to see, I am not impressed at all with Sule as well as his poor performances for the national team.

• The title was changed to Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich (1st Leg) - Tuesday 19th February, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived