Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich (1st Leg) - Tuesday 19th February, 2019

football forum

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Well, that was disappointing.

You know the tune.... 

Tonight's the night we couldn't make it happen
Tonight we'll put most of our shots well wide
Give in this time and show me some deflections
We're goin' for that 0-0 draw tonight.... 

I'm so excited..... not

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Danny said:

Yeah, boring. Liverpool were nullified and Bayern played like a lower league side who were on their big day out in the Cup. Didn't venture past the half way line.

Silly because Liverpool have the advantage with away goals.

Parking the bus is certainly not the football term for 'boring'. Bayern were an away side who were shut down from passing from the back, and closed down all night in midfield. If liverpool wanted a more open game they could have created one. But, and wisely I might add, they opted not to.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bad result for us.

Well the good thing is you didn't concede. In a way beyern have to win. So glad teso is suspended he would be unbearable now

• Subscriber

It's a shame that Bayern's defensive display there is barely rewarded in the slightest because of the away goals rule.

It wasn't an open, entertaining game like you expect at Liverpool in Europe but it wasn't a bad one either if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

One of the worst Bayern sides I have seen for a while 

Yeah but if they played arsenal you just know they would put in a world class performance

Just now, Dan said:

It's a shame that Bayern's defensive display there is barely rewarded in the slightest because of the away goals rule.

It wasn't an open, entertaining game like you expect at Liverpool in Europe but it wasn't a bad one either if that makes sense.

I really think the champions league would be better if they get rid of the away goals rule

• Subscriber

Fabinho put in a good shift today as did Henderson. Two of our best players on the pitch. Robertson just wasn't in it today and fair play to Kimmich because he was very good on that side of the pitch. I'm glad he's missing the second leg and hopefully we see a better performance from our fullbacks in the away leg.

Bayern had the game plan spot on at first to kill any chance of Liverpool getting into full-flow, but I thought the game went on it was very apparent that they had little plan about how to chase an away goal, which is a risky way to approach a tie like this.

Coman and Gnabry were there to punish mistakes of course, but Bayern had no real ideas at any point. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I really think the champions league would be better if they get rid of the away goals rule

As do I. Personally think after that game it should be advantage Bayern as they've got the home game left after a very creditable draw and defensive display at Anfield. In reality though it's probably advantage Liverpool.

I like to see attacking football but I don't want the rules to manufacture it.

Away goals OUT.

Just now, Dan said:

As do I. Personally think after that game it should be advantage Bayern as they've got the home game left after a very creditable draw and defensive display at Anfield. In reality though it's probably advantage Liverpool.

I like to see attacking football but I don't want the rules to manufacture it.

Away goals OUT.

Although it was 0-0 it was a good 0-0. Very tactical and quite interesting. But if they got rid of it I think it would have been a better game.

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Bayern had the game plan spot on at first to kill any chance of Liverpool getting into full-flow, but I thought the game went on it was very apparent that they had little plan about how to chase an away goal, which is a risky way to approach a tie like this.

Coman and Gnabry were there to punish mistakes of course, but Bayern had no real ideas at any point. 

I think arsenal fans are scratching their heads a bit with Gnabry. I'm always felt he had more potential though personally

11 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Parking the bus is certainly not the football term for 'boring'. Bayern were an away side who were shut down from passing from the back, and closed down all night in midfield. If liverpool wanted a more open game they could have created one. But, and wisely I might add, they opted not to.

Yes it is.

Sorry Liverpool the team who spent the game trying to attack should have played an open game? The boring nature of the second half more than the game tbh was entirely down to Bayern.

Sadly didn't get to watch the game as I'd hoped, was out buying an on-field Cienciano kit from 2004. Priorities.

From the sounds of it though, it sounds like I didn't miss a lot. From the conversation though I like away goals because it's harder to score goals away from home. Maybe less-so in Europe than in South America because of the differences in societies but the point stands I think. 

Bayern may have to win but they will be the favourites to do so now as they could get the job done. However, I'm sure Liverpool will take a different approach to the away leg than what may have been planned originally.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yes it is.

Sorry Liverpool the team who spent the game trying to attack should have played an open game? The boring nature of the second half more than the game tbh was entirely down to Bayern.

Sounds like somebody hasn't watched a lot of Bayern in the past 2 years...

No surprise it's from you as well, shocker.

11 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think you're right, but I also think that Bayern set themselves up deep to stop us getting a good rhythm going in our attack, as @Inverted mentioned. We could have thrown more caution to the wind, but we were worried about those wingers punishing our mistakes and leaving Lewa with more space to work with. Bayern could have been more open and adventurous, but again that'd leave our front 3 with more time and space to punish them.

I don't think that's anything out of the ordinary in the first leg of a big European night. Those away goals are precious, we didn't want to concede any of them.

Despite lacking goals, I thought it was a fairly entertaining match - especially that first half, where I thought both sides managed to somehow look both good and shit at the same time. The way it played out, both sides have their hands forced now and the next match is almost guaranteed to be more open.

Not a terrible result for Liverpool.... Bayern will need to be wary of conceding the away goal now which adds a little bit of pressure to them.. would have been better if Pool could have got at least one goal tonight just to give them the edge going into the second leg but alas it was not to be.. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived