• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich (1st Leg) - Tuesday 19th February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think you're right, but I also think that Bayern set themselves up deep to stop us getting a good rhythm going in our attack, as @Inverted mentioned. We could have thrown more caution to the wind, but we were worried about those wingers punishing our mistakes and leaving Lewa with more space to work with. Bayern could have been more open and adventurous, but again that'd leave our front 3 with more time and space to punish them.

I don't think that's anything out of the ordinary in the first leg of a big European night. Those away goals are precious, we didn't want to concede any of them.

Despite lacking goals, I thought it was a fairly entertaining match - especially that first half, where I thought both sides managed to somehow look both good and shit at the same time. The way it played out, both sides have their hands forced now and the next match is almost guaranteed to be more open.

I didn't get to see the game, so I can't comment on Bayern's performance today as a whole, but whenever I've seen them in Europe in the past 2 years they've been extremely unadventerous and often rely on some individual magic to grind them through. They aren't the same unit we've been used to in the Heynckes and even Guardiola days. So based on everything I'm reading, it doesn't surprise me that it's turned out that way.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yes he was, but lots of good players have been shit at Real and then move away from that weird club and go back to being class.

Think he's also just coming back to the team so it might be just getting used to playing time again? He was rather invisible in the first half and I kind of forgot he was actually playing because you'd expect more from him. 

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Wasn't he shit at Real too? 

He was brilliant at Real Madrid and was benched for the in my opinion inferior Isco. However, what I have gathered is he has become very problematic in the past few years and this has lowered his performances. However, it's a myth that he was bad at Real Madrid. He was great in his first year and then Rafa came in and decided he didn't like him. It was also around that time he was going to nightclubs before games.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I didn't get to see the game, so I can't comment on Bayern's performance today as a whole, but whenever I've seen them in Europe in the past 2 years they've been extremely unadventerous and often rely on some individual magic to grind them through. They aren't the same unit we've been used to in the Heynckes and even Guardiola days. So based on everything I'm reading, it doesn't surprise me that it's turned out that way.

I'm not surprised either, but for different reasoning. We've got Bayern fans on here telling us they're worried about their leaky defense coming to a place we haven't lost in a long time - and again that whole "general rule" about European two legged ties, win the home leg - keep the away leg tight. This was the away leg for them, they've been leaking goals, the smart thing for them to do to progress further is to set themselves up conservatively to stifle our attacks.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Think he's also just coming back to the team so it might be just getting used to playing time again? He was rather invisible in the first half and I kind of forgot he was actually playing because you'd expect more from him. 

All he really did was waste corners for Bayern Munich. If we can expect more of this in the second leg, then I'm happy Mueller tried to decapitate that poor lad he tried to decapitate to get himself suspended.

I know stats don't mean a lot but since many aren't going to believe me, I'm just going to leave that James got 17 goals and 18 assists in his first season at Real Madrid. I also followed him closely that year and can say it's a huge myth that James was bad at Real Madrid.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

He was brilliant at Real Madrid and was benched for the in my opinion inferior Isco. However, what I have gathered is he has become very problematic in the past few years and this has lowered his performances. However, it's a myth that he was bad at Real Madrid. He was great in his first year and then Rafa came in and decided he didn't like him. It was also around that time he was going to nightclubs before games.

Probably means he's got no work ethic at all - Rafa's got no time for players like that... and that makes sense given what I've just seen from him. He was essentially up to nothing all night.

Probably means he's got no work ethic at all - Rafa's got no time for players like that... and that makes sense given what I've just seen from him. He was essentially up to nothing all night.

Yeah, that's it. I will admit he was a lot better in the day, but he was certainly not bad for Real Madrid. If I recall correctly he had his bad spells at the club but most of the time he was on the football pitch he was nothing short of elite.

Some of the comparisons to Kleberson and El Hadji Diouf are embarrassing. 

59 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Fortuna Düsseldorf scored three goals against Bayern, in Munich. Liverpool can't even score one at home?

Fortuna Düsseldorf best Premier League team confirmed. 

Yeah but spurs beat Dortmund 3.0 and Liverpool beat spurs and are ahead of them. So it goes Liverpool > spurs> Dortmund> Dusseldorf> Liverpool

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yeah, that's it. I will admit he was a lot better in the day, but he was certainly not bad for Real Madrid. If I recall correctly he had his bad spells at the club but most of the time he was on the football pitch he was nothing short of elite.

Some of the comparisons to Kleberson and El Hadji Diouf are embarrassing. 

It's bound to happen if you're career is really built on one good world cup showing and 13 goals in his second season at Real Madrid (https://www.whoscored.com/Players/71182/History/James-Rodríguez) isn't going to do a lot to convince people he's not as class as he looked in 2014. There might still be a good player somewhere inside him (like after Mutu went to Fiorentina and all of a sudden was a good player again), but I think he's demonstrated a questionable work ethic and attitude. Nothing he showed today demonstrated he's fit to play for either Bayern Munich or Real Madrid - anonymous.

Although there's also the possibility that... he just had a poor match. Happens to everyone lol.

4 hours ago, Panna King said:

Munich will get battered, they will be unable to handle the pace of Liverpool, Sule is awful and just another version of Hummels. 

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

If there's one thing you learn in Football, it's this.

Never ever write off the Germans.

Just saying.

It's bound to happen if you're career is really built on one good world cup showing and 13 goals in his second season at Real Madrid (https://www.whoscored.com/Players/71182/History/James-Rodríguez) isn't going to do a lot to convince people he's not as class as he looked in 2014. There might still be a good player somewhere inside him (like after Mutu went to Fiorentina and all of a sudden was a good player again), but I think he's demonstrated a questionable work ethic and attitude. Nothing he showed today demonstrated he's fit to play for either Bayern Munich or Real Madrid - anonymous.

Although there's also the possibility that... he just had a poor match. Happens to everyone lol.

Well as someone who has followed him and seen him be absolutely class for Colombia, I can guarantee he is a top player. However, you are right that he has attitude and work ethic problems, but with the latter sometimes it depends on style. Riquelme didn't have work ethic and he was also a top player. I'm still awaiting his return but he doesn't help himself.

As for the second sentence, I'm sure Bayern fans can answer that better than I can. However I am certain that he is a good player.

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but spurs beat Dortmund 3.0 and Liverpool beat spurs and are ahead of them. So it goes Liverpool > spurs> Dortmund> Dusseldorf> Liverpool

We also beat Dortmund :35_thinking:

Rq7GML4.gif

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Well as someone who has followed him and seen him be absolutely class for Colombia, I can guarantee he is a top player. However, you are right that he has attitude and work ethic problems, but with the latter sometimes it depends on style. Riquelme didn't have work ethic and he was also a top player. I'm still awaiting his return but he doesn't help himself.

As for the second sentence, I'm sure Bayern fans can answer that better than I can. However I am certain that he is a good player.

Riquelme was slow as fuck and didn't put in a defensive shift, but I don't know that he had no work ethic... he was constantly trying to get involved in the attacking side of things and get on the ball. Perhaps if Bayern had someone like that linking the midfield and attack today, things might have gone a bit different for them.

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Rq7GML4.gif

Liverpool > Spurs > Dusseldorf > Dortmund > Dusseldorf > Liverpool

Simple

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Rq7GML4.gif

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Rq7GML4.gif

Yeah but they are ahead of you.  I guess it goes. Liverpool> spurs>Dortmund>Dusseldorf>Dortmund>Liverpool

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Riquelme was slow as fuck and didn't put in a defensive shift, but I don't know that he had no work ethic... he was constantly trying to get involved in the attacking side of things and get on the ball. Perhaps if Bayern had someone like that linking the midfield and attack today, things might have gone a bit different for them.

Liverpool > Spurs > Dusseldorf > Dortmund > Dusseldorf > Liverpool

Simple

That's what I said. Great minds think a like. And so do we

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think you're right, but I also think that Bayern set themselves up deep to stop us getting a good rhythm going in our attack, as @Inverted mentioned. We could have thrown more caution to the wind, but we were worried about those wingers punishing our mistakes and leaving Lewa with more space to work with. Bayern could have been more open and adventurous, but again that'd leave our front 3 with more time and space to punish them.

I don't think that's anything out of the ordinary in the first leg of a big European night. Those away goals are precious, we didn't want to concede any of them.

Despite lacking goals, I thought it was a fairly entertaining match - especially that first half, where I thought both sides managed to somehow look both good and shit at the same time. The way it played out, both sides have their hands forced now and the next match is almost guaranteed to be more open.

You are a worthy football pundit and have my respect. Danny is a peasant who wanted a 3-3 extravaganza. Of course Bayern were cagey and disruptive, and they'll be happy to take that result back to the Allianz, but you guys would obviously prefer a scoreless draw to a score draw

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

You forgot to factor in the pressure of outer space which is about 10^-12 Torr"  :ph34r:

Did you just Google equations :D

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Blue said:

From what I can see he's only had two real peaks, first at Monaco and then at Real which you eluded to. Stats obviously don't tell the entire story as players could be contributing in more ways than just scoring goals or creating chances but from what I saw last night and what you can see on his overall performance this isn't the making of anything elite (maybe your view of it is different to mine) because hes not even consistent enough to warrant that kind of badge to me.

Maybe he was plucked too early from Porto and not settled in right before his move to Monaco and subsequently Real that didn't foster any kind of work ethic but for a player that did what he did at the WC which got him all the attention he rightfully deserved at the time he hasn't really delivered. Yesterday, when Bayern were in good positions to offer counters you'd expect him to be running the middle to allow the wing players to move the ball better between sides but instead he wasn't even there. The subsequent outcome was crosses to the middle and no end product which is terribly frustrating considering you have someone like James in the middle who can act as a bridge. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived