talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Catalunya Testing

football forum

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Stan said:

Why is testing done at Catalunya and not various venues to potentially test for different race conditions?

Multiple venues are definitely not viable from financial and logistical view. Air cargo is extremely expensive and to transport all the equipment from one place to the next one would cost way too much and I'm not sure it would be worth it either considering that the teams get only two weeks of testing (and only 8 days on track I think), so multiple venues would mean more time spent traveling and setting up the garage etc. That's also one of the reasons why they do testing in Europe in general; first of all it's easy accessible and cheap, and if the teams need new parts urgently during the testing they can get them delivered fast and inexpensive. The other factor is climate; it's still winter so the choice of a circuit is limited by that as well. Barcelona, Jerez, Paul Ricard; I'm not sure if there are many others in Europe that fit FIA's grade requirements and are not too cold in February. Barcelona is also a good track for testing downforce so I guess that's a factor for teams as well. Paul Ricard could be an interesting choice too given all the different layouts it has. I know Pirelli wanted to move testing to Bahrain this year and even offered to cover some extra expenses but the majority of teams disagreed. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, nudge said:

A near miss between Kubica and Hamilton; could have ended nasty!

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/2/Testing_Day_4__A_near_miss_for_Hamilton_and_Kubica.html

Ooooof, that was close. I think the Williams mechanics need a set of fresh underwear. Imagine if the car was completely damaged after all the hard work they put into it. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Wow. That could have been so bad. Did Kubica just have no idea he was there?! I guess Hamilton was expecting him to move. 

Robert was probably running the testing routine he was told, and was not supposed to slow down or move? Like some Aero stuff. 

football forum

Just catching up on testing, going to watch from Day 2 as I've been away and not had chance to watch the coverage. Just seen this though, could have been really nasty and apparently it denied Lewis the fastest lap of the day. 

Great to see Kubica back in an F1 car though, funny how I want to see both him and Russell do well even though they will most definitely be at the back.

34 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Good interview with Kubica on SkyF1. Just listening to them with Landon Norris and he comes across as a bit of a tit. 

Norris is a jumped up rich brat, am glad Russell raped him in F2 last season.

football forum
8 hours ago, Tommy said:

George Russell really seems like a nice kid. Lando not so much. Shame the nicer and apparently better one is not in the better seat. 

Fingers crossed for a Norris/Stroll collision in Melbourne.

football forum
22 hours ago, AMG said:

Even Hamilton? :ph34r: 

As I haven't seen them in the same room together, I am convinced they are the same person.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

As I haven't seen them in the same room together, I am convinced they are the same person.

Or maybe it's because Danny is a happy and positive person who has no time for phony fakes. 

football forum
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Or maybe it's because Danny is a happy and positive person who has no time for phony fakes. 

You're such a fountain of happiness.

• Subscriber

An interesting analysis of the first testing week by Mark Hughes on the Motorsport Magazine: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/mph-why-ferraris-top-after-f1-test-1

According to their calculations (i.e. time adjustments for tire compound), that's how the current pecking order should approximately look like:

1 Ferrari 1min 17.4sec
2= Red Bull and Mercedes 1min 17.8sec
4= Renault and Alfa Romeo 1min 18.5sec
6 McLaren 1min 18.6sec
7 Toro Rosso 1min 18.8sec
8 Haas 1min 19.1sec
9 Racing Point 1min 19.7sec
10 Williams 1min 21.5sec

2 hours ago, nudge said:

An interesting analysis of the first testing week by Mark Hughes on the Motorsport Magazine: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/mph-why-ferraris-top-after-f1-test-1

According to their calculations (i.e. time adjustments for tire compound), that's how the current pecking order should approximately look like:

1 Ferrari 1min 17.4sec
2= Red Bull and Mercedes 1min 17.8sec
4= Renault and Alfa Romeo 1min 18.5sec
6 McLaren 1min 18.6sec
7 Toro Rosso 1min 18.8sec
8 Haas 1min 19.1sec
9 Racing Point 1min 19.7sec
10 Williams 1min 21.5sec

I'm not getting my hopes up, just so Mercedes obliterates the entire field in Melbourne. 

Heard about Ted Kravitz. Would be a real shame. I loved Ted's Notebook. Hopefully he'll be picked up by F1's media crew, like Will Buxton. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'm not getting my hopes up, just so Mercedes obliterates the entire field in Melbourne. 

Heard about Ted Kravitz. Would be a real shame. I loved Ted's Notebook. Hopefully he'll be picked up by F1's media crew, like Will Buxton. 

Oh that's definitely not an indication of how things will look like in Melbourne... Just an overview of the first testing week and there's still plenty of time for development. I guess we'll see a bit more next week when teams will do their race and quali simulations.

As for Ted Kravitz... Kimi was not impressed with him anyway :ph34r:

• The topic was unpinned

Archived