Sebastian Vettel

football forum

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Behave lads. He's probably not quite up there with Hamilton but that doesn't mean he's not a great. Became the youngest ever race winner in a Toro Rosso and then won four titles, two of them were a stroll in the park but not the others. He was as good as anyone at his peak. Even Alonso couldn't win a championship with this Ferrari team so it's harsh to judge Vettel on the last couple of years where he does appear to have started his downward trajectory.

Only Hamilton and Alonso can have a claim to be better than Vettel in the post-Schumacher era. Even Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg who are all world champions were not in the same league as Vettel.

• Subscriber

It looks like he's been extremely disillusioned with the car, the team, and the sport as a whole for quite a while now. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at the end of the season. I just don't see the spark and the will to fight in him anymore.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, nudge said:

I just don't see the spark and the will to fight in him anymore.

Seemed happy to put up a fight against the FIA a few weeks ago!

6 hours ago, nudge said:

It looks like he's been extremely disillusioned with the car, the team, and the sport as a whole for quite a while now. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at the end of the season. I just don't see the spark and the will to fight in him anymore.

He will come back, even stronger. He is a four time World Champion, won a race in a total inferior car, which many of his competitors can't say about themselves, he broke many records. There's just something that needs to ignite the spark again. I hope it will happen soon, or else I share the feeling that his retirement is close. Then gain, he has a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters... not a bad thing to leave F1 behind for. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

He will come back, even stronger. He is a four time World Champion, won a race in a total inferior car, which many of his competitors can't say about themselves, he broke many records. There's just something that needs to ignite the spark again. I hope it will happen soon, or else I share the feeling that his retirement is close. Then gain, he has a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters... not a bad thing to leave F1 behind for. 

I mean that's only the impression I have but I think he needs a change in his racing life. Always thought his character/personality didn't really fit in the whole F1 scene anyway; now it seems that he's tired and isn't even enjoying racing anymore so maybe calling it quits and joining a different racing series would be a good idea at some point in the near future? 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I mean that's only the impression I have but I think he needs a change in his racing life. Always thought his character/personality didn't really fit in the whole F1 scene anyway; now it seems that he's tired and isn't even enjoying racing anymore so maybe calling it quits and joining a different racing series would be a good idea at some point in the near future? 

Hmm, maybe, but I don't know if he'd be interested in a different racing series. He's an F1 nerd through and through. 

Although, maybe something with a bit of music would please him. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hmm, maybe, but I don't know if he'd be interested in a different racing series. He's an F1 nerd through and through. 

Although, maybe something with a bit of music would please him. 

I don't know... he seemed to enjoy driving the Ferrari hypercar quite a lot :D

Or maybe Gerhard Berger can get him into DTM :D Or he can join his brother in ADAC GT Masters :P 

I mean he's a petrolhead who wants to drive fast cars; even if he retires from F1 I bet he comes back to motorsport sooner or later...

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't know... he seemed to enjoy driving the Ferrari hypercar quite a lot :D

Or maybe Gerhard Berger can get him into DTM :D Or he can join his brother in ADAC GT Masters :P 

I mean he's a petrolhead who wants to drive fast cars; even if he retires from F1 I bet he comes back to motorsport sooner or later...

Shhhhhhh, he will win another Drivers Championship with Ferrari eventually. 

Did I ever tell anyone the story of how I came across Sebastian Vettel for the first time? There was a DTM season presentation in Düsseldorf. And there were various racing cars presented for the lack of a better word. And there was a F3 car, with "S.Vettel" written on it. He was probably around, but I didn't care that much at the time, because all I wanted to see was Mika Häkkinen on the stage where they presented all the DTM drivers. Unfortunately the hard drive I have those pictures on died a long time ago. But yea, I knew Seb (at least his name) long before he got into F1. I can also tell you stories about Lewis first breaking into F1. I had an English McLaren fan as a girlfriend at the time. And now I feel like a certain elderly Bundesliga poster. Be nice. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Then gain, he has a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters... not a bad thing to leave F1 behind for. 

But are they as beautiful as the man himself? (In your eyes) :$

Why was my thread merged into an appreciation thread. xD

Seriously though, i do think he's massively overrated and a bit of a 1 trick pony. 

• Subscriber

If Vettel is shot, no doubt Lewis has played a part in his decline. Somebody said to me that LEwis also did Vettel in the lower series? I'm not in  a position to comment on this as I've seen information on the season but never watched the actual races. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, MUFC said:

If Vettel is shot, no doubt Lewis has played a part in his decline. Somebody said to me that LEwis also did Vettel in the lower series? I'm not in  a position to comment on this as I've seen information on the season but never watched the actual races. 

Surely that's bollocks considering that hey didn't even race together in the lower series bar one season in F3 where Lewis won the title on his second try and Seb was the best rookie in his debut season?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Surely that's bollocks considering that hey didn't even race together in the lower series bar one season in F3 where Lewis won the title on his second try and Seb was the best rookie in his debut season?

I think F3 is what he meant by lower series, as stated I don't know much about that season. Saw the points table only, not sure which car was best or if the cars were similar.

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I think F3 is what he meant by lower series, as stated I don't know much about that season. Saw the points table only, not sure which car was best or if the cars were similar.

I just don't think they were in a comparable situation and weren't "rivals" at all during that season so that claim is a bit weird to me. Lewis had much more experience and already had a season in F3 before that where he finished 5th with Manor junior team, then joined the championship winning team AMS and was rightly considered the title favourite from the beginning. He dominated and won the title while wiping the floor with his teammate at the time; a certain Adrian Sutil. Vettel came into F3 as a rookie that season from German Formula BMW ADAC Championship and was known as a talented prospect and BMW protege but as most newcomers he wasn't expected to challenge for the title; he finished the season as the best rookie. Next year Lewis was already gone to GP2 while Seb stayed in F3 for one more season so they were never proper challenging and racing each other before F1.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, nudge said:

I just don't think they were in a comparable situation and weren't "rivals" at all during that season so that claim is a bit weird to me. Lewis had much more experience and already had a season in F3 before that where he finished 5th with Manor junior team, then joined the championship winning team AMS and was rightly considered the title favourite from the beginning. He dominated and won the title while wiping the floor with his teammate at the time; a certain Adrian Sutil. Vettel came into F3 as a rookie that season from German Formula BMW ADAC Championship and was known as a talented prospect and BMW protege but as most newcomers he wasn't expected to challenge for the title; he finished the season as the best rookie. Next year Lewis was already gone to GP2 while Seb stayed in F3 for one more season so they were never proper challenging and racing each other before F1.

Makes sense as the table shows he won at a canter.

Archived