talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sebastian Vettel

football forum

• Subscriber

He did well to stay in the race and he definitely needed and deserved a result, however, I wasn't that impressed with him today. He was way off the pace in the wet, then only had to pass three vastly inferior cars with DRS. Fair enough Bottas and Gasly should have been able to do that and didn't, but still, it bothers me when people make a massive deal out of someone driving from 20th to 2nd when they have the best car and profited from loads of safety cars, retirements and pit strategy en route. It's not a dig at Seb either, I've said this about Hamilton plenty of times over the years.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

He did well to stay in the race and he definitely needed and deserved a result, however, I wasn't that impressed with him today. He was way off the pace in the wet, then only had to pass three vastly inferior cars with DRS. Fair enough Bottas and Gasly should have been able to do that and didn't, but still, it bothers me when people make a massive deal out of someone driving from 20th to 2nd when they have the best car and profited from loads of safety cars, retirements and pit strategy en route. It's not a dig at Seb either, I've said this about Hamilton plenty of times over the years.

I know, I've just playing for our Hamilton fanboys. I think he was driving over cautious at first, maybe because of his recent mistakes, and he of course he got lucky with the safety cars etc. Still, he didn't make a mistake when almost every driver on the grid made one or more, and his overtakes towards the end of the race, were courageous and perfectly executed, with speed advantage or not. I hope it'll be a turning point, and he'll gain some of the lost confidence back, and he'll show more strong races the rest of the season, and be ready and energized for a new campaign next season. I think he needed something positive for a change, and it will be crucial. 

19 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I credit Vettel today because he was under serious pressure to perform.

Yes, and you can also say that he was cautious, what others might have perceived as "slow", when other drivers weren't. So he just waited it out, and kind of knew that there could be a lot of incidents in these conditions. For me it was a very mature drive. 

Anyway, here's a picture of him leaving the track with his dad

fmml51i4l3d31.jpg

Awwwww. 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I credit Vettel today because he was under serious pressure to perform.

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yes, and you can also say that he was cautious, what others might have perceived as "slow", when other drivers weren't. So he just waited it out, and kind of knew that there could be a lot of incidents in these conditions. For me it was a very mature drive. 

Agreed. Nice to know that Vettel can get some credit from some F1 fans!

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

An interesting observation. 

Apparently Ferrari were very hesitant with their strategies, and Seb had to make the calls for them. 

Interesting. 

A couple of angles to take as well. 

Seb is driving and obviously has the real feel of tyres on a vastly changing surface through the entirety of the race. He has the first hand perspective of how different tyres will affect his driving and what he feels he can take on and challenge with, as well as comfortability. Seb making calls may point to why he avoided spinning where other drivers did. 

Furthermore, Ferrari are probably ridiculously cautious right now and I don't blame them. They've made some utterly shite calls in recent times resulting in not only screwing drivers over but themselves as a team with all the bad publicity that's accumulated. Maybe as a consequence they've agreed to communicate better. Perhaps it doesn't need some complicated strategy but just better communication with each driver. Perhaps why Leclerc was succeeding with a great race until his crash. 

It'd be naive to say they've given Seb all control but especially in a dramatic race like yesterday it's better to give the drivers perspective more weight when it comes to making decisions. 

While it may be 'hesitant' to make a call, it might be a right thing to do to liaise with the driver more in such circumstances.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Tommy said:

An interesting observation. 

Apparently Ferrari were very hesitant with their strategies, and Seb had to make the calls for them. 

Reminds me of Schumacher.

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Reminds me of Schumacher.

Seb also said he looked if the crowd had their umbrellas open. If they had them closed, he knew he could go a little faster xD

• 4 weeks later...

Still the best video in existence of F1. Showing how great Seb is, the Hamilton - Hülkenberg crash, Schumacher in his last race letting Seb through... so good. 

@Eco you watch and learn! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I've heard and read it numerous times this season already that Seb has been struggling with the rear-end instability of the SF90; especially after their front-wing upgrade in France, as it doesn't suit his driving style and exacerbates his weaknesses. 

Interestingly enough it's the complete opposite of how Schumacher was; his preference for planted front and less rear grip is alleged to be one of the reasons why most of his teammates struggle with the cars that were built to suit Schumi's driving style, which also required very specific setups and was high-risk, to such a degree that they even found it "undriveable"... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

An odd quirk of Vettel's winning record. Look at how many of his most successful races are outside of Europe and especially in Asia.

17 wins in Europe, 36 outside Europe. Surprising when in general, around half of the races are in Europe.

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

An odd quirk of Vettel's winning record. Look at how many of his most successful races are outside of Europe and especially in Asia.

17 wins in Europe, 36 outside Europe. Surprising when in general, around half of the races are in Europe.

Odd indeed. I know he loves Suzuka. Funny thing is, the only F1 GP I've attended so far was the only German GP he's won. Maybe I am his lucky charm in Europe. He should invite me to more races ^_^

• Administrator

Not too happy about the tone of this BBC article when discussing the Vettel/Leclerc/team decision to pit at certain times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49789917

It's as if they're continually trying to drive a split and problem between the 2 drivers - as if in a team sport (of 2 members) there should always be controversy and disagreements, when that isn't always the case. Yes there is rivalry but it doesn't have to be so exaggerated as the BBC have put it. It seems like Vettel and Leclerc genuinely get on but this article makes it sound like totally opposite and yesterday's events will lead to a rift, even though it just seemed like a miscalculation from the team itself i.e. out of the drivers' hands at the time it happens. 

Only at the very end, and in a small way, of the Vettel part of the article do they say how Leclerc actually calmed down and accepted what happened. As if that only became relevant to provide a bit of balance to the article.

Archived