The better place to talk football.

Sebastian Vettel

football forum

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Not too happy about the tone of this BBC article when discussing the Vettel/Leclerc/team decision to pit at certain times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49789917

It's as if they're continually trying to drive a split and problem between the 2 drivers - as if in a team sport (of 2 members) there should always be controversy and disagreements, when that isn't always the case. Yes there is rivalry but it doesn't have to be so exaggerated as the BBC have put it. It seems like Vettel and Leclerc genuinely get on but this article makes it sound like totally opposite and yesterday's events will lead to a rift, even though it just seemed like a miscalculation from the team itself i.e. out of the drivers' hands at the time it happens. 

Only at the very end, and in a small way, of the Vettel part of the article do they say how Leclerc actually calmed down and accepted what happened. As if that only became relevant to provide a bit of balance to the article.

Already looking forward to the "bad guy Seb vs. good guy Charles" narrative in the next Drive to Survive season on Netflix xD 

He did drive a great race yesterday, and while Charles may be slighted, it appeared that Ferrari tried something with the pitting, and with Mercedes response, it just turned out good for Vettel. I can't imagine that it was with the intention of have Sebs win, but instead hoping for a Ferrari 1/2, which is exactly what happened. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Very interesting. Was Leclerc doing zig zags or what? Pretty stupid from him as well. And as he mentioned in the thread, he did the same against the McLaren even harder, but the McLaren reacted accordingly, Charles didn't. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Very interesting. Was Leclerc doing zig zags or what? Pretty stupid from him as well. And as he mentioned in the thread, he did the same against the McLaren even harder, but the McLaren reacted accordingly, Charles didn't. 

For me it really comes across as both drivers trying to assert mental dominance over each other. Neither yielded so that's on both of them and both are being stupid. You do not race your teammate like that.

Either way next season could be very juicy between them!

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

For me it really comes across as both drivers trying to assert mental dominance over each other. Neither yielded so that's on both of them and both are being stupid. You do not race your teammate like that.

Either way next season could be very juicy between them!

Indeed, but the criticism is very one-sided towards Seb, from many people. 

• Subscriber

I still think Seb had the racing line so had no reason to move further to the left.

As for the Leclerc/Norris incident earlier on, it was lap one and Leclerc at least had the excuse of trying to get off the kerb and back onto the track. Sometimes getting right over onto the kerb/grass overlap can spit you back onto the track harder than you'd expect. It did look a bit naughty though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just read a comment on reddit about Sebastian:

[–]trex_racecar Sebastian Vettel 268 points 4 days ago*gold_48.png 

I used to not be a Vettel fan. When he was younger and drove for Red Bull something about him rubbed me wrong. As he got older and more mature he started to grow on me.

I live in Austin next to a boutique hotel and last year the week before the US GP I see a GT4CLusso pull up and three guys in Ferrari team overalls climb out.

The next day that same car pulls up and Vettel and one of his friends gets out. Now I’ve never asked anyone for an autograph before but I’ve been a Tifosi since the beginning and the man is a legend. I called out to him and asked to say hello and to take a photo. He obliges and stops and chats for a few minutes being completely genuine introducing himself as if I didn’t know who he was.

He asks me if I’m going to the race on Sunday and I tell him that I couldn’t get tickets that year but I’m looking forward to watching him have a good race.

Throughout the week I see him and his friend and always wave but left it at that. I already felt bad enough disturbing him as I know how private he is.

I come home a few days later and there’s a bag tied to my doorknob. I open it and there’s a signed hat with a note hand written on Ferrari letterhead with two tickets inside addressed to me by name.

A four time world champion meets me once in passing and notes that I didn’t have tickets, remembers my name, goes out of his way to find me some and hand writes the note. He’s a class act and I’ll never forget it.

Archived