Team: Red Bull Racing

Podiums: 22

Grands Prix entered: 81

World Championships: N/A

Highest race finish: 1 (x5)

Highest grid position: 2

Date of birth: 30/09/1997

Place of birth: Hasselt, Belgium

Easily one of the most exciting drivers on the grid with his talent, hot head, aggressive driving and sometimes questionable decisions that ensure a lot of talking points both on and off the track. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Sweepstake on how many crashes/incidents he's going to be responsible for this season - I'm going for 3.

Not saying I want him to have that many, as I love his style of driving and rate him highly - I just hope that the older and more experienced he gets, the more mature he gets on the track as well. You can still be aggressive but just be less reckless instead. I'd never want to have the aggression taken away from him but you can surely have that turned in to a positive skill/attribute as opposed to having attention drawn to you for the wrong reasons!

I hope he has a great season!

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Great talent for sure, but don't really like him as a character. Also his face is very punchable :ph34r:

He is a bigger cunt then his dad, Horner is molding him into a cock. 

2 hours ago, MUFC said:

He is a bigger cunt then his dad, Horner is molding him into a cock. 

Well, Jos Verstappen beat his wife and broke someones skull. I think Max isn't quite there yet :ph34r: But yes, the cuntishness seems to run in the paternal side of the family. 

• Subscriber

Bellend but hope he gets into Hamilton and Vettel this season so things get a bit more interesting. Gasly won't threaten him like Ricciardo did so if Red Bull are in the third fastest no man's land again they are going to be a very uninteresting team this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 18/02/2019 at 20:34, RandoEFC said:

Bellend but hope he gets into Hamilton and Vettel this season so things get a bit more interesting. Gasly won't threaten him like Ricciardo did so if Red Bull are in the third fastest no man's land again they are going to be a very uninteresting team this year.

One thing with Gasly, he is really fiesty. Could be some tension early doors, if they collide early in the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always find it so strange to see pictures of Max as a kid with for example Jenson Button. Makes you realize how young he is. I mean, I witnessed the times when Button was the youngster in F1. Time flies. 

And to make clear: I don't hate or dislike Max THAT much. Much of it stems from the VERY biased dutch fans, who had no clue what F1 is until 2 years ago, and now act like they know it all and think Max is Jesus. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I always find it so strange to see pictures of Max as a kid with for example Jenson Button. Makes you realize how young he is. I mean, I witnessed the times when Button was the youngster in F1. Time flies. 

And to make clear: I don't hate or dislike Max THAT much. Much of it stems from the VERY biased dutch fans, who had no clue what F1 is until 2 years ago, and now act like they know it all and think Max is Jesus. 

My comments weren't directed that much at you either; more like a general observation of the over-exaggerated "Mad Max" image that's been created and continuously reinforced by both media and F1 fans alike. And it's not only about Max, it's about spinning narratives instead of providing a well-balanced view in general. I can understand the fan thing; we all just make our impressions from what we see and have our sympathies and antipathies and it's pretty much meaningless anyway, but it's very disappointing when you get the same level of sensationalism and bias from actual journalists and pundits. Take Will Buxton, for example - a good entertaining journalist with plenty of insight all in all, but he's got a lot of bias towards (or against) certain drivers, and it really shows; that is especially true for the Netflix series where the stories were dramatised by mishandling and twisting the facts in favour of pushing some artificial narratives and creating heroes/villains dynamic. 

• Subscriber

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko claims that Mercedes are in regular contact with Max Verstappen and his representatives.

Marko claimed that Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff regularly calls Max and his father Jos, sparking rumours of a possible switch to the Silver Arrows for the 21-year-old.

The Red Bull chief also confirmed that Verstappen does have a “performance clause” in his contract, though the exact details of that are unknown.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-have-made-contact-with-verstappen/

Interesting...

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Stan said:

Does that count as 'tapping up'? I'm guessing that's allowed in F1...?

Yeah, there are no rules preventing a team from talking to a driver or even negotiating a potential future contract, as much as I'm aware. 

This is definitely interesting, if true. Max will be getting impatient at Red Bull as he certainly has his eyes on winning the title at some point and Mercedes will need a strong driver once Hamilton decides to quit. I wonder where does it leaves Ocon then?

• Subscriber

He will have more chance of getting a seat at Mercedes then at Ferrari in my opinion. Unless the RB-Honda relationship works well and kicks on.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Max say in the last year that he is giving it till 2020? If he isn't challenging at RB he will look at moving?

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber
12 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Don't think so; sounds like a normal communication to encouraging more risky approach. Honda developed an engine which has been extremely reliable so far; now it's time to take the next step by giving it more power (even if that means that reliability would suffer). As much as I know Honda's and RB's working relationship is very good. They also know that PU is not the only problem this season.

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

Don't think so; sounds like a normal communication to encouraging more risky approach. Honda developed an engine which has been extremely reliable so far; now it's time to take the next step by giving it more power (even if that means that reliability would suffer). As much as I know Honda's and RB's working relationship is very good. They also know that PU is not the only problem this season.

I agree that an engine that is reliable is important. But how long will Max wait? Especially if a Ferari seat comes up, and Marko is a gobby shit. I hope it stays smooth and they catch up.

Archived