talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lewis Hamilton Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Also interesting that Niki criticised him that harshly, and then was one of the main people who got Lewis to Mercedes only two years later! 

Well he's a racing driver, no wonder he saw the talent :D 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I still don't think those overzealous overtakes compare to Max recently.

The best example of the desperate defensive driving was Fuji 2008 at the start when he lost out to Kimi off the line.

Hamilton had a bigger problem with crossing the line in attack than defence whereas with Max it's the opposite. It's a fair comparison to make in terms of him growing up though and hopefully Max does the same over time.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

This is one thing about Britain that I'll never understand. Well, it's actually the second thing. The first is chip butty :ph34r:

We have it here too but you usually just get mailed a pin with a letter confirming your knighthood saying 'here ya go mate'. 😆

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Toto's statements sound a tad too melodramatic to me, and I think they are intended to put pressure on FIA, first and foremost; just like both of them not attending the Gala.

That said, I could also see this potentially pushing Hamilton into retirement. He looked physically exhausted at times (Hungary?), it was a very intense season with a lot of stress, and it ended on a bad note for him and Mercedes.

• Subscriber

Him retiring over that would be heavy.

At the moment, with things fresh from it I honestly wouldn't blame him and don't blame him for the way that feels.

The statement from Wolff is a bit over the top in my opinion but not by much. "Never get over it" hmm. Hopefully it is just pressure on the FIA to make serious reforms and tidy up the rules surrounding all of the race procedures.

The only thing I worry about if Lewis does decide not to continue (which I doubt will actually come to fruition), is that when people look back down the years and that decision is viewed as part of a bigger picture and gets put in the context of the grand history of the sport, people will call him a sore loser and that he went off in a huff because he didn't win. Unfair, perhaps, but it would be much more on brand for him to come back and win number eight fair and square.

If Lewis decides to retire, wouldn't people say he ran away from George Russell? Imagine him suddenly being Mercedes #1 driver. 

I hope Lewis doesn't retire though. A long refreshing break in his American home will do him some good. 

2 minutes ago, Panflute said:

What if he had planned to retire after what would've been a record 8th world title, but Sunday's events have put him in doubt on how to end his F1 career? 👽

But he just signed a new 2 year deal a few months ago. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Lets pretend he retired. What could replace him? Would Gasly be worth a shout?

Ocon, potentially? I know he has a full contract with Alpine until the end of 2024, but he definitely still has Mercedes connections, and he is also managed by Toto/Mercedes - so if there was a will, there would surely be a way. Especially since Alpine also have Piastri waiting for a seat...

If not Ocon, I could see them going for Norris.

• Subscriber

Ocon certainly still has connections to Mercedes. I still don't think he'd be their top choice though. Norris has links to Toto Wolff I believe, and his stock is high. Gasly I'm sure would be tempting for them as one of the top drivers without a top drive. I also wonder whether they could find a way to get Bottas back from Alfa Romeo. They did it before when Rosberg suddenly retired and they got Bottas out of his Williams contract for 2017. Different circumstances I know, but if they wanted the experience to partner George instead of two new drivers, they'd find a way, and Hulkenberg or Piastri could take the Alfa seat.

It's all hypothetical though. Hamilton won't retire.

Archived