• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lewis Hamilton Chat

football forum

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Eco said:

I can understand more and more why people can't stand Lewis. 

Hell of a driver, but an absolute diva. 

Yea, well. He has his moments where you can see his true self, and I think deep down he's a genuine and humble guy (honestly), but he's working very hard on his superstar fake bling bling image, for either marketing reasons, or to hide his insecurities that he admitted he's dealing with. I appreciate him as the great driver and icon he is to this sport, and that's it. Probably good advice to not take social media that seriously anyway. 

I don't follow formula 1 but you do have to feel sorry for Lewis Hamilton. One of the best British sportsman ever but he never gets much credit and isn't that popular. I don't think he has ever won sports personality even though he has what 6 world titles now?

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't follow formula 1 but you do have to feel sorry for Lewis Hamilton. One of the best British sportsman ever but he never gets much credit and isn't that popular. I don't think he has ever won sports personality even though he has what 6 world titles now?

Think he won it in 2014. But as for the knighthood. Alistair Cook and Andy fucking Murray have one. Not sure why Lewis hasn't had one yet.

22 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Think he won it in 2014. But as for the knighthood. Alistair Cook and Andy fucking Murray have one. Not sure why Lewis hasn't had one yet.

Don't know about the knighthood but in regards to his lack of popularity I think at least some of it is because he is black. (Or possibly mixed race not to sure)  I know some people will say no it's because he's a tosser. And I know he can be one sometimes and perhaps some people don't relate to him well. But Andy Murray is a tosser sometimes and although he isn't the most popular sportsmen he is quite popular. It just seems people are a lot more tolerant of white tossers than black ones.

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Don't know about the knighthood but in regards to his lack of popularity I think at least some of it is because he is black. (Or possibly mixed race not to sure)  I know some people will say no it's because he's a tosser. And I know he can be one sometimes and perhaps some people don't relate to him well. But Andy Murray is a tosser sometimes and although he isn't the most popular sportsmen he is quite popular. It just seems people are a lot more tolerant of white tossers than black ones.

Any videos of the tossing?

• Subscriber

I wouldn't pin it on racism. Lewis is a polarising character who divides public opinion but besides that, it seems that racing drivers often get overlooked when it comes to knighthood. Take John Surtees, for example - an absolute legend with 7 motorcyling and 1 Formula 1 titles (the only man to win world championships in both motorcycle racing and F1 ever!), incredible legacy in motorsports and a lot of charity work off the track. Yet he never got the knighthood either. Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart were only honoured for their achievements decades later. Frank Williams as well. Maybe your Queen (or whoever makes the decision) just doesn't like motorsports... Granted in my eyes knighthood is a load of bollocks anyway.

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

I wouldn't pin it on racism. Lewis is a polarising character who divides public opinion but besides that, it seems that racing drivers often get overlooked when it comes to knighthood. Take John Surtees, for example - an absolute legend with 7 motorcyling and 1 Formula 1 titles (the only man to win world championships in both motorcycle racing and F1 ever!), incredible legacy in motorsports and a lot of charity work off the track. Yet he never got the knighthood either. Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart were only honoured for their achievements decades later. Frank Williams as well. Maybe your Queen (or whoever makes the decision) just doesn't like motorsports... Granted in my eyes knighthood is a load of bollocks anyway.

I think it is partly racism. I know what you are saying but he has achieved so much and isn't as popular as he should be. I have actually met people who don't like him simply because he is black. Don't think the knighthood is because of it(like you I don't like that systems anyway) but I think people's general attitude towards him is affected by it.

• Subscriber

Remember that when it comes to knighthoods, the person usually gets approached and 'offered' the knighthood before it is announced. There's every likelihood that Lewis has been approached and said that he'd rather not receive a knighthood before he has finished racing. He seems like that kind of guy.

I don't think his talent is unappreciated but I do think it is somewhat taken for granted in the UK. People don't sing and dance about it but I think it's just because he's been around and doing the business for so long. When he first emerged there was massive fanfare surrounding him so it's nothing to do with race.

I think Murray is certainly comparable though. I know this isn't a tennis thread but Murray had to achieve what he's achieved on his own. Hamilton has as well but his sport is still a team sport. Tennis is the most individual of major sports, and Murray is probably more unappreciated than Hamilton because he's had Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to battle against which a) makes his grand slam tally look lower by comparison when 3 Grand Slams is still really fucking good and b) have stopped him from winning more than 3 because they're among the best of all time themselves. Don't forget Murray has also represented Great Britain by winning two Olympic gold medals, a silver and almost single-handedly won the Davis Cup for GB as well, where Hamilton doesn't have the opportunity to do so in his sport.

Hamilton also rubs people up the wrong way on occasion and is arguably more entrenched in American culture than British culture. He even speaks with a bit of an American accent fairly often. It counts against him, rightly or wrongly.

I'm absolutely certain that he'll receive the knighthood as soon as he retires/accepts it because he definitely has a case for being the greatest sportsperson we've produced in my lifetime.

On 08/11/2019 at 13:21, RandoEFC said:

Remember that when it comes to knighthoods, the person usually gets approached and 'offered' the knighthood before it is announced. There's every likelihood that Lewis has been approached and said that he'd rather not receive a knighthood before he has finished racing. He seems like that kind of guy.

I don't think his talent is unappreciated but I do think it is somewhat taken for granted in the UK. People don't sing and dance about it but I think it's just because he's been around and doing the business for so long. When he first emerged there was massive fanfare surrounding him so it's nothing to do with race.

I think Murray is certainly comparable though. I know this isn't a tennis thread but Murray had to achieve what he's achieved on his own. Hamilton has as well but his sport is still a team sport. Tennis is the most individual of major sports, and Murray is probably more unappreciated than Hamilton because he's had Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to battle against which a) makes his grand slam tally look lower by comparison when 3 Grand Slams is still really fucking good and b) have stopped him from winning more than 3 because they're among the best of all time themselves. Don't forget Murray has also represented Great Britain by winning two Olympic gold medals, a silver and almost single-handedly won the Davis Cup for GB as well, where Hamilton doesn't have the opportunity to do so in his sport.

Hamilton also rubs people up the wrong way on occasion and is arguably more entrenched in American culture than British culture. He even speaks with a bit of an American accent fairly often. It counts against him, rightly or wrongly.

I'm absolutely certain that he'll receive the knighthood as soon as he retires/accepts it because he definitely has a case for being the greatest sportsperson we've produced in my lifetime.

Like I said mate I wasn't saying he hasn't received a knighthood because of his race. And I know he can be a bit of a tosser. However I do think at least some people's attitude toward him is because of race. Like I said it seems people are much more excepting of white tossers they black ones.

Archived