The better place to talk football.

Lewis Hamilton Chat

football forum

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

I'm a huge admirer of how outspoken he has been about the BLM movement this year, and how he has started to use his platform to raise awareness of key issues. It used to be a bit cringeworthy some of the stuff he'd come out with but he's getting the balance right these days I think. It does seem like he's identified that as his calling when he eventually stops racing, so I've wondered a bit lately whether he'll get to his 7th or 8th title and go, well I've broken all the records now so I'll go and get stuck into something else, but actually I don't see where he can go that would enable him to do more than what he is currently able to do. I think he's really been inspired by the platform he's been given at Mercedes (turning their liveries and entire race gear black in support of his cause) and F1 at large, I can see him staying involved for quite a bit longer.

I was very indifferent towards him when he was younger. He was self-centred, arrogant, a bit of a crybaby when things didn't go his way but you couldn't level any of that criticism at him now. He's grown as a driver and a man, the latter being something that's very easy not to do when you live in a bubble like you do in F1, and I look forward to seeing what he does next when he eventually hangs up his helmet.

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm a huge admirer of how outspoken he has been about the BLM movement this year, and how he has started to use his platform to raise awareness of key issues. It used to be a bit cringeworthy some of the stuff he'd come out with but he's getting the balance right these days I think. It does seem like he's identified that as his calling when he eventually stops racing, so I've wondered a bit lately whether he'll get to his 7th or 8th title and go, well I've broken all the records now so I'll go and get stuck into something else, but actually I don't see where he can go that would enable him to do more than what he is currently able to do. I think he's really been inspired by the platform he's been given at Mercedes (turning their liveries and entire race gear black in support of his cause) and F1 at large, I can see him staying involved for quite a bit longer.

I was very indifferent towards him when he was younger. He was self-centred, arrogant, a bit of a crybaby when things didn't go his way but you couldn't level any of that criticism at him now. He's grown as a driver and a man, the latter being something that's very easy not to do when you live in a bubble like you do in F1, and I look forward to seeing what he does next when he eventually hangs up his helmet.

I agree completely! Very well said.

It’s frustrating as so many people I know think the exact opposite and he’s an even bigger idiot than ever after his actions this year... which I just struggle to comprehend. He’s trying to use his platform to stand up for something that’s important and spread a positive message. Yet people use it an excuse to say it’s okay him saying this from his ivory tower etc and mention random stuff about his employers past. Etc etc :dunce:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

I was hoping he'd speak out against Saudi Arabia human rights record after they have been given a race there next year, to be honest. 

I'm sure there'll be something on his Insta story soon enough.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm sure there'll be something on his Insta story soon enough.

Well, when asked directly, he said that he "doesn't know enough about the human rights issues in Saudi Arabia so can't comment" xD 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well, when asked directly, he said that he "doesn't know enough about the human rights issues in Saudi Arabia so can't comment" xD 

I had no idea he was a politician. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, nudge said:

I was hoping he'd speak out against Saudi Arabia human rights record after they have been given a race there next year, to be honest. 

He did mention something yesterday about how F1 can hold countries that they go to to account over things like their human rights. I can't remember which year it was where the Bahrain race was behind closed doors because of the civil war going on outside, and there were issues with the building of the China track where they basically booted thousands of people out of their homes to build it. Hopefully it's something all of the drivers start to address, perhaps with his leadership, as the way things are now with social media particularly, drivers have never had a louder voice and more of an opportunity to put pressure on the authorities than they do currently.

29 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I agree completely! Very well said.

It’s frustrating as so many people I know think the exact opposite and he’s an even bigger idiot than ever after his actions this year... which I just struggle to comprehend. He’s trying to use his platform to stand up for something that’s important and spread a positive message. Yet people use it an excuse to say it’s okay him saying this from his ivory tower etc and mention random stuff about his employers past. Etc etc :dunce:

People are hard work when it comes to challenging their long held views. I don't know if you read the Marcus Rashford thread but there's a similar discussion going on there too. Hamilton has taken a very hard line on the whole BLM thing which is fair enough because he's passionate about it, but the mainstream conversation has turned against BLM now because someone dragged out some policies that the organisation Black Lives Matter have that are a bit bonkers like defunding the police. F1 scaled back from BLM to simply End Racism which people find easier to swallow. I don't see Hamilton giving ground in the same way. I don't really think he should, but I do think he'd be more successful on winning people over if he took a more moderate-seeming stance. There's an entrenched culture at least in the UK where you're not allowed to be rich and successful but also have a social conscience because idiots say "you have enough money to end world hunger/racism/wealth inequality so why don't you just do it instead of asking me to put my hand in my pocket" or "if you love migrants so much why don't you put them up in one of your hotels" and think they're really clever. It's a real bore and I really don't know how you help people like that see how mad their views are.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

He did mention something yesterday about how F1 can hold countries that they go to to account over things like their human rights. I can't remember which year it was where the Bahrain race was behind closed doors because of the civil war going on outside, and there were issues with the building of the China track where they basically booted thousands of people out of their homes to build it. Hopefully it's something all of the drivers start to address, perhaps with his leadership, as the way things are now with social media particularly, drivers have never had a louder voice and more of an opportunity to put pressure on the authorities than they do currently.

That's why I can't take any of this kind of activism seriously - it's all just loud words and symbolic gestures in vocal support of some broad cause, and no action - when it actually matters, they all bury their heads in the sand. Putting on a t-shirt, posting trending hashtags, taking a knee or using catchy slogans is easy and comes at no cost compared to actually taking a hard stance against something in a way that may have personal consequences to you. Just read the responses of the paddock after being asked about Saudi Arabia, it's disgraceful, especially considering how many of them like to paint themselves as some sort of human rights champions. And yes, that's not only about Saudi Arabia, there's already more than enough countries on the calendar with similar issues. Normally, I wouldn't care and I also don't expect everyone to be opposing every issue on the planet (I know I'm not), but I can't stand virtue signaling and empty platitudes, then disregarding it completely and bending over for whoever waves a wad of cash at them. Hypocrites, the lot of them.

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hope he shows no or only mild symptoms and recovers quickly.

But please, bring in Hülkenberg. :3_grin:

Same! Hope he recovers well :)

Everyone’s asking for Hulk across all Social Media 😅

I know he’s a free agent but I don’t get it why wouldn’t it be Estebangzzzzz as he’s the reserve driver?

8 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Ahhhh fair enough.

I’d like to see George Russell then!

Not sure if Williams would like that. They're only 3 points behind Haas who have a replacement driver and a Ferrari PU on a mostly straight circuit this weekend. Good chance for Williams. 

• Subscriber

I'd be happy on a sentimental level to see it go to Hulkenberg because he'd surely get his podium finish at last. I don't think Mercedes are likely to do that though, they will either be loyal to their reserve drivers in which case Vandoorne will have a decent claim, or it'll be George Russell. I think surely the latter has to be the call. George could genuinely win a Grand Prix in a Mercedes, I can't see Williams putting up that much of a fight to stand in his way if Mercedes come calling. He's done a great job for them and they could have a race winning driver come back and drive for them for 2021.

Depending on the rules, Hamilton could miss the season finale as well. If he tested positive today or yesterday, that's less than 2 weeks before the Abu Dhabi race. I get the feeling that we'll see another case where elite athletes who have access to faster testing can do less than 14 days out of action and come back if they get 2 negative tests or something, and that Hamilton will drive again in Abu Dhabi. However, he could miss it. Perez missed both of the Silverstone races earlier in the year when they were back to back. Admittedly, his positive test was closer to the first of the two races than Hamilton's positive test is to this Sunday's race.

And of course, we all have to wish Lewis a speedy recovery.

Archived