talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lewis Hamilton Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
On 07/11/2019 at 14:39, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't follow formula 1 but you do have to feel sorry for Lewis Hamilton. One of the best British sportsman ever but he never gets much credit and isn't that popular. I don't think he has ever won sports personality even though he has what 6 world titles now?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-no-great-sense-of-pride-for-hamilton-in-uk/

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50755301

Ferrari admit they have held talks with world champion Lewis Hamilton about joining them in the future.

Ferrari chief executive officer Louis Carey Camilleri said at a media lunch that Hamilton has had "conversations" with chairman John Elkann.

Camilleri said Ferrari were "very flattered Lewis in particular, and other drivers, want to join us".

"It's totally premature - we'll look at our options at the appropriate time and see what is the best fit," he added.

He added that the meeting between the British driver and Elkann was at "a social event, which has been blown somewhat out of proportion - they have some common friends".

Hamilton, who is 35 next month and will be gunning for a record-equalling seventh world title in 2020, comes to the end of his Mercedes contract next season.

He said at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on 1 December that it was "smart and wise" to consider his next move carefully, adding: "I love where I am, so it is definitely not a quick decision to go and do something else."

At the time, Hamilton refused to confirm or deny reports in Italy he had met Elkann twice this year.

Hamilton said he was "waiting to see" whether Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff remained with the team.

Wolff has been touted as a potential replacement for F1 chief executive Chase Carey in 2021.

However that prospect has receded in recent weeks, and Camilleri said Ferrari could use its veto to block any move by Wolff to run F1.

"Anybody who has been an active and important player in a certain team within the last years to take on the responsibility at F1 would create a conflict of interest," Camilleri said.

"It would not be a good thing [that Wolff] should ultimately run F1. Our position is if [Ferrari team principal] Mattia Binotto was the candidate to replace Chase, the rest of the paddock would not be too happy.

"Our veto is the last resort tool. Should we be confronted with that, we would explain our position quite clearly to the folks at Liberty (the US media group that owns F1's commercial rights)."

If Hamilton was to join Ferrari in 2021, it would almost certainly be as a team-mate to Charles Leclerc and a replacement for Sebastian Vettel, whose contract runs out at the same time as the Briton's.

Camilleri said: "We have a long-term agreement with one driver [Leclerc] and with the other driver [Vettel] the agreement expires at the end of 2020."

Vettel, a four-time champion, started the year as Ferrari's number one driver but Leclerc has earned equal status with his performances in 2019.

He out-scored the German in terms of wins, pole positions, points and in their qualifying head-to-head.

Their rivalry led to a number of flash points last season, culminating in a crash at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Camilleri said: "Clearly Charles' performance has had an impact. That's inevitable when you're the world champion and this young kid comes along and has a phenomenal season.

"Charles has a lot of talent. He has surprised even ourselves as to what he has been capable of.

"Their collision last month in Brazil was a nightmare. However, the air has been cleared. And sometimes you need a crisis to put the goalposts in the appropriate place.

"Going forwards it gives Mattia a much better way of managing them because they realised how much they screwed up."

• 2 weeks later...

This is so cool. Lewis comes across as preachy sometimes, and seems a bit pseudo with his "wisdom", but he's the same age as me, and I went through the same he did (bullying etc.). And now that I am older I feel the same way, and I'd tell the young kids the same he does. So I am kind of growing to respect him. If that makes sense. 

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, nudge said:

Didn't know guns weren't vegan :35_thinking:

I'm more concerned about the state of his t-shirt though. 

I know, I know. But I don't guns really fit with his eco friendly green theme. Maybe it's just me.

The shirt well, maybe he was the target before? :ph34r:

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I know, I know. But I don't guns really fit with his eco friendly green theme. Maybe it's just me.

The shirt well, maybe he was the target before? :ph34r:

I mean he's not shooting animals is he xD you can probably link shooting ranges to pollution if you try hard but then the same applies to pretty much any other activity... Guns are pretty cool. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Good to hear! :)

Also good to hear that he didn't use his celebrity status to get tested (unlike most other celebrities), all while "normal" people with actual symptoms are denied tests because they haven't been to Wuhan. 

Archived