The better place to talk football.

Round 01: Australia

football forum

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah I don't understand that one, surely not team orders so soon? There's just no logic behind holding Charles back?

Yeah the gap was down to just 0.3s but he didn't try to overtake and then it went back to 3 seconds or so without any visible driver mistakes etc. Stupid if they told him to keep the distance. 

I for one, welcome our new Finnish overlord. Brilliant race from Valtteri. I can endure a Mercedes dominance as long as the nice Mercedes driver is winning. 

Great race from Lance Stroll as well ;) Daniil Kvyat was excellent too. Even kept a Red Bull behind him.

• Subscriber

My biggest personal disappointment is Giovinazzi; very questionable driving today as he looked clumsy defending his position at times and still had to give it away as he was way too slow. Kimi managing to finish 8th and even challenge Hülkenberg in the last few laps shows the car definitely has potential. That's 4 points for Sauber so I'm happy but I hope Giovinazzi can improve in upcoming races...

Also Gasly looked poor for me too. I know this track is not great for overtaking but he didn't manage to close the gap and overtake Kvyat or Stroll while Max kept up with Lewis and could even had a good chance to go past him had he not made a mistake and went off the track. Honda back on podium, very happy for them.

Ferrari is a mess; obvious technical issues with Vettel's car and lack of pace compared to Mercedes and Red Bull in general; they have a lot of work ahead of them and I hope they manage to solve most of their problems in time for Bahrain. Not letting Leclerc past Vettel is very stupid in my opinion.

Midfield is going to VERY tight this season and I'm really looking forward to see who comes on top in the end. Everyone looks strong enough and the gaps are small with the exception of Williams... They are just awful. Russel 2 and Kubica 3 laps down. That's embarrassing.

I enjoyed the race overall. Bring on Bahrain!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Has anyone else noticed that Kubica is miles behind? Said he was only 20% prepared for today due to the issues that Williams have faced and now finds himself 2 minutes off the pace :o

Grosjean fault is due to front left wheel issue, deja vu.

Can't be that surprising given Williams have barely had any preparation in testing, compared to all the other teams. 

Valtteri: "To whom it may concern, fuck you" https://streamable.com/nltj2 :4_joy:

Very happy for him! And yea, as it seems to be mandatory to be mentioned in every post, Ferrari not letting Leclerc pass Vettel is stupid indeed. No idea what their reasoning was. Maybe they feared a double DNF if they fought, but Charles was clearly faster.

Giovinazzi just kept Italian traditions up, and parked the Trulli bus blockade xD But yea, he was poor. I haven't really seen anything from him in F1 that impressed me so far. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Valtteri: "To whom it may concern, fuck you" https://streamable.com/nltj2 :4_joy:

Very happy for him! And yea, as it seems to be mandatory to be mentioned in every post, Ferrari not letting Leclerc pass Vettel is stupid indeed. No idea what their reasoning was. Maybe they feared a double DNF if they fought, but Charles was clearly faster.

Giovinazzi just kept Italian traditions up, and parked the Trulli bus blockade xD But yea, he was poor. I haven't really seen anything from him in F1 that impressed me so far. 

I was positively surprised with his Q1 time yesterday but that was it... I really hope he's better though. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It when you consider how far the difference is between him and Russell.

To be fair Kubica lost his front wing in the first lap I think, so there's that but he doesn't look comfortable at all... 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

:/ Doesn't seem like that much of a team order though. Looks like Charles was content with it. 

He has no choice to be fair. 

As the sky is blue and water is wet, Vettel is always going to be prioritised over Leclerc for now. 

Eventually Leclerc will have that privilege but it is good that he is understanding of it and actually asking as opposed to being upset or angered at not being able to finish higher. 

Charles is unbelievably mature for his age. So yea, he took it well, but it's the first race. Will be interesting to see how it'll be handled if there's a similar situation in the future. 

• Administrator

Or Leclerc knows that one day he'll be the lead driver cos its not like Vettel is young. Not a bad driver to learn off, either. 

I doubt that it was an agreement that he 'couldn't challenge' Vettel. Just that Vettel would be prioritised as having the best chance to challenge Hamilton. Not sure why that's so difficult to fathom. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator

How am I doubting a clear radio message? 

Think it's factual for both of us to see that Vettel is the lead driver? Maybe the presumption that Leclerc would be some kind of revelation to displace Vettel was misguided... 

Don't mean that as a slant on you or anyone else who thinks that. Just quite clear as you even say that Vettel has a choice on who is the teammate so not sure what else to expect? 

You can have a potential world class talent as a teammate but also be the number one driver in the team. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Wonder who's idea it was :ph34r:.

Can't deny that mate. Not gonna lie about it. 

All the threads in here are quality. The prediction leagues, the knowledge inside and out throughout the testing season, the appreciation threads for many drivers (not just Lewis or Seb). 

Great section of the forum. Sensible 'banter', no slanging matches, no petty bickering, reasonable debate and conversation. 

Charles told to back off and not to overtake Vettel after being instructed to leave him alone. But the gap to him and Kimi meant he could have pitted for fresh rubbers, came out and went for an extra point, which should have been some consolation for being given a blatant number two role. in the opening race.

31 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Charles told to back off and not to overtake Vettel after being instructed to leave him alone. But the gap to him and Kimi meant he could have pitted for fresh rubbers, came out and went for an extra point, which should have been some consolation for being given a blatant number two role. in the opening race.

Fastest lap with a turned down engine? Makes sense. 

Oh Lewis.

24 minutes ago, MUFC said:

He would have turned the engine up I reckon, to try and achieve this, oh Prost.

Not if they really have reliability issues when the engine is fully turned up. I'm convinced that must be it. They just didn't lose their pace overnight. I hope they can fix it. Maybe it's just a software issue with the PU or something. 

Supporting Ferrari is really depressing btw. 

Archived