talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round 01: Australia

football forum

• Subscriber

Love a bit of hysteria over Ferrari team orders.

Teams routinely tell their drivers to hold position if they're running one after the other in the closing stages with nothing to gain in terms of further positions.

What would have been the point of letting them race? Best case scenario they get 4th and 5th which is what they already had. Worst case they both end up in the fence.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Teams routinely tell their drivers to hold position if they're running one after the other in the closing stages with nothing to gain in terms of further positions.

What would have been the point of letting them race? Best case scenario they get 4th and 5th which is what they already had. Worst case they both end up in the fence.

But people love to love Charles, and love to hate on Seb. 

Anyway, did you guys see Ocon clapping and smiling next to Toto as Vallteri won? He was dead inside xD

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Not if they really have reliability issues when the engine is fully turned up. I'm convinced that must be it. They just didn't lose their pace overnight. I hope they can fix it. Maybe it's just a software issue with the PU or something. 

Supporting Ferrari is really depressing btw. 

It was Vettel who had the problem, charles made loads up on him, but maybe they wanted to play it safe and not take risks? Oh Tommy.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

But people love to love Charles, and love to hate on Seb. 

I absolutely hate team orders; a racer shouldn't have to ask for permission to overtake and the team should favour the faster driver. I mean it's definitely understandable if it’s late on in the season and one of the drivers has the title at stake but first race of the season against a teammate who's much slower due to worn tires and potential PU issues? Come on...

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

I absolutely hate team orders; a racer shouldn't have to ask for permission to overtake and the team should favour the faster driver. I mean it's definitely understandable if it’s late on in the season and one of the drivers has the title at stake but first race of the season against a teammate who's much slower due to worn tires and potential PU issues? Come on...

The only other sensible option is for Ferrari to ask Seb to let Leclerc past him but if they did, Vettel would have been well within his rights to say why? There was nothing to gain by doing that or by letting them race. Letting them race would have been stupid and asking Vettel to move over for Charles would have achieved nothing for the team, and would still have been team orders, so presumably everyone would be complaining just as much as they are now (Yeah right).

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The only other sensible option is for Ferrari to ask Seb to let Leclerc past him but if they did, Vettel would have been well within his rights to say why? There was nothing to gain by doing that or by letting them race. Letting them race would have been stupid and asking Vettel to move over for Charles would have achieved nothing for the team, and would still have been team orders, so presumably everyone would be complaining just as much as they are now (Yeah right).

I disagree. As Seb said himself, he was not in a position to fight anybody at that point. He let Max through without a fight as well as he was just trying to bring the car home... Leclerc would have gotten past him just as easily. For me it's absurd to think that a simple overtake against a slower teammate who's not up for fight can be viewed as a risk that's not worth taking. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I disagree. As Seb said himself, he was not in a position to fight anybody at that point. He let Max through without a fight as well as he was just trying to bring the car home... Leclerc would have gotten past him just as easily. For me it's absurd to think that a simple overtake against a slower teammate who's not up for fight can be viewed as a risk that's not worth taking. 

What for though? Charles wasn't getting 3rd. It sounds like he asked if they were okay to race and therefore initiated the exchange. Any risk which gains the team nothing is a risk that isn't worth taking even if the risk of them colliding is basically zero.

Oh my god. Ferrari weren't allowed to have the "Mission Win Now" branding on the cars and clothes. How were they supposed to know that they are supposed to win? Now I get it, duh. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What for though? Charles wasn't getting 3rd. It sounds like he asked if they were okay to race and therefore initiated the exchange. Any risk which gains the team nothing is a risk that isn't worth taking even if the risk of them colliding is basically zero.

I understand how from the team's point of view it makes sense to just hold the positions until the end but I find it over-cautious and unfair to a driver who's faster and should get more points for himself; that's too much of risk aversion for my liking. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Oh MUFC. 

Never change :4_joy:

Anyway. Australian GP best of Team Radio:

Hulk at the end xD

And Perez' engineer (while Perez drives in to the pit lane) sounding like a parent that knows the answer but wants his kid to own up to it first xD

Archived