talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Spanish Super Cup To Become 4 Team Competition

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 4 team compeititon actually sounds like a  good idea(barring they are only 1 leg games) as it makes it a little more competitive for what it is.

Playing the games abroad is a joke though(albiet being better than playing actual league games abroad) and it's desperation in an attempt at trying to keep up with modern day marketing(and it'll fail as nobody in the country it is played in will care beyond that if they don't already), although unfortunately this is what leagues are going to have to do now in order to compete financially with the Premier League and the TV deals that currently exist, etc.

I've honestly gotten to the point where I no longer give a fuck about news like this as I have given up.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dan said:

Spanish football is embarrassing for being a sell out. Somehow even worse than English.

Yep, people often mouth off about kick off times in England but La Liga have been whoring out every single match to be on at a different time every weekend causing Friday night kick offs and 11am starts on Saturday and Sunday routinely. I'm sure we'll catch up soon.

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yep, people often mouth off about kick off times in England but La Liga have been whoring out every single match to be on at a different time every weekend causing Friday night kick offs and 11am starts on Saturday and Sunday routinely. I'm sure we'll catch up soon.

Do worry that the English authorities will look at La Liga as their guinea pigs.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Do worry that the English authorities will look at La Liga as their guinea pigs.

You need to get Peruvian authorities then if that's the case, as we'd just eat the Guinea Pigs :ph34r:

football forum

Happy with this, don't get me wrong it's absolute AIDS and laughable but if it means that actual La Liga games are played in Spain as opposed to the US then I'm happy. 

Nobody is that arsed about the Super Cup, it's just a friendly with a trophy at the end. 

Serie A has being playing the Supercoppa abroad for god knows how long. It's much better than playing La Liga games outside of Spain. I do like supercups, but at the end of the day they are really just glorified friendlies. With that I can't disagree with.

football forum
Just now, Blue said:

Serie A has being playing the Supercoppa abroad for god knows how long. It's much better than playing La Liga games outside of Spain. I do like supercups, but at the end of the day they are really just glorified friendlies. With that I can't disagree with.

Why you copy me :ph34r:?

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Italy is worse as well, because they interrupt the middle of the season as well. Mainly so they can play it in the Middle East (It's almost as if holding a football tournament in the Middle East in summer is a bad idea...)

At least if it's at the beginning of the season, it might be a little more palatable.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

That's largely due to timezone and weather differences, the people running the Premier League are no different to the people running La Liga.

21 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This is one thing I don't see a problem with as it enables you to watch any game you want. Let's say you subscribed to Eleven Sports tomorrow and every game was on at 3pm on a Saturday, you'd be wasting your money. Personally I don't watch too much football these days as I'm actually starting to find it a rather dull sport, but having that option is always handy as you can stick a game on whenever you have free time or whatever.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

This is one thing I don't see a problem with as it enables you to watch any game you want. Let's say you subscribed to Eleven Sports tomorrow and every game was on at 3pm on a Saturday, you'd be wasting your money. Personally I don't watch too much football these days as I'm actually starting to find it a rather dull sport, but having that option is always handy as you can stick a game on whenever you have free time or whatever.

It's not a problem for someone who lives in England watching the Spanish league but if you're a matchgoing season ticket holder in the Premier League and they basically eradicate all 3pm kick offs there'd be riots.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not a problem for someone who lives in England watching the Spanish league but if you're a matchgoing season ticket holder in the Premier League and they basically eradicate all 3pm kick offs there'd be riots.

I don't think it would work in England as we have a very different footballing culture, but I believe it does in Spain.

It also has to be noted that if leagues such as La Liga and Serie A had all their kick offs at the same time as Premier League games also, they would just become nonsense leagues that nobody would watch as the Premier League has the marketability that no other league has, so people would just watch that. Whether we like it or not, the way forward now is to do whatever you can in order to market your league out around the world. It's become a competition.

You know what though? To look at the positives, we have recently lived in an excellent era of football, a far better generation than we give it credit for, being able to watch players like Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Puyol, Ramos, Busquets, Alves, Godin, Lahm, Neuer, Suarez, Aguero, etc(could also mention Terry, Lampard and Gerrard, despite being older than the others) and we should cherish it. It's easy to be nostalgic about the 90s or 80s, or whenever, but this recent generation have been immense. Unfortunately it's all coming to an end now and we are stepping into a new one, which likely won't match it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/laliga/premier-league-chief-executive-laliga-deny-javier-tebas-is-a-target-for-top-job-a4072301.html%3famp

Meh. Not really bothered if he comes in. Premier League Football is for the TV viewer(s) anyway, so Manchester City v Chelsea and Arsenal v Liverpool kicking off at 7am our time played in some far flung place, many time zones away in some new convoluted Community Shield wouldn’t bother me. Nor would less 3pm games on a Saturday. They’re more and more of a novelty these days anyway. 

• 8 months later...
  • Subscriber

Saudi Arabia will host a WC in a few more years. You heard it here first. I doubt anyone would go of course but it will happen and I even think it will happen in my lifetime. Qatar is just a test-bed and the rest of the Middle-Eastern world are watching and waiting to see what happens.

Archived