talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 Rookies in 2019

football forum

• Subscriber

Three young promising drivers will be making their debut in F1 this season.

George Russell (British/21 years old) - Williams - F2 Champion 2018 - Mercedes junior driver
Lando Norris (British/19 years old) - McLaren - F2 Runner-up 2018 
Alexander Albon (Thai/22 years old) - Toro Rosso - 3rd place in F2 2018

How do you think they will fare?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hope Lando does well just because he's got such a cool name.

I was disappointed to learn that his name doesn't come from Star Wars ¬¬

I think the debut season will be hard for all three of them. All talented drivers for sure, but I'm not sure if they'll be given a car to show it... Especially Russell; that Williams car is now almost expected to be a disaster once again and with Russell's Mercedes ambitions it can be quite a task to impress them. Norris chances with McLaren are certainly better especially with Alonso gone; will be interesting to see how he does in comparison to Sainz. Same with Albon who - similar to Kvyat - has been already dropped by Red Bull in the past and even considered ending his career when it happened. He'll be up against a much more experienced teammate in a ruthless Toro Rosso environment. Hope he does well though.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I hope George does well, even though he's in a Williams. Seems like a nice kid. Lando is supposed to be a bit of an arrogant dick, no?

Nah I think he's ok... I heard he can be a bit of a douche on iRacing but to be honest he's just a young kid and he doesn't come across as arrogant in his interviews. Nowhere near Dan Ticktum level for sure haha. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Nah I think he's ok... I heard he can be a bit of a douche on iRacing but to be honest he's just a young kid and he doesn't come across as arrogant in his interviews. Nowhere near Dan Ticktum level for sure haha. 

I saw clips of him playing iRacing with Max Verstappen. How funny. Imagine you're a casual player and pretty good and you think you'll easily win, and suddenly you see "Max Verstappen has joined the game" :D

football forum
5 hours ago, nudge said:

Three young promising drivers will be making their debut in F1 this season.

George Russell (British/21 years old) - Williams - F2 Champion 2018 - Mercedes junior driver
Lando Norris (British/19 years old) - McLaren - F2 Runner-up 2018 
Alexander Albon (Thai/22 years old) - Toro Rosso - 3rd place in F2 2018

How do you think they will fare?

Russell will do very little because of the car he has, I just hope that he's not frowned upon for what will be a quiet season (like Sirotkin was). 

Norris seems like a right dick, don't know why but I haven't warmed to him. Time will tell but he's not going to get near Sainz. 

Albon I've no idea about, but he came across well when interviewed by Sky F1. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Russell will do very little because of the car he has, I just hope that he's not frowned upon for what will be a quiet season (like Sirotkin was). 

Norris seems like a right dick, don't know why but I haven't warmed to him. Time will tell but he's not going to get near Sainz. 

Albon I've no idea about, but he came across well when interviewed by Sky F1. 

Yeah that's what I'm worried about when it comes to Russell... He's a seriously talented driver but it's so easy to ruin one's chances of a proper career by racing in a really bad car in a debut season. I'm sure Mercedes know his potential though so hopefully he uses a year at Williams to get used to F1 and gain some experience. 

Norris I think is the most talented of the three overall but he's a bit inconsistent too. When he's good he can be really spectacular though. There's a bit too much hype surrounding him probably but that's no surprise considering his performances and his age.

Albon is underrated imo as he's a very fast and hard-working driver who worked his way up without backing from any top teams and finished 3rd in F2 last year (and was in contention for the title for most of the season) which probably had one of the strongest grids ever. He'll have to deal with the ruthless Toro Rosso/Red Bull pressure though so not sure how he does considering he's probably the weakest of the three pure talent-wise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Norris showed some weakness in failing to get past Giovinazzi a bit sooner. It cost him the chance of points as that Stroll group got ahead of him as a result.

I know I'm being harsh, it's his first race, but if Alonso were sat in that car he would have made the past sooner and scored some points. A totally unfair comparison admittedly but Norris needs to learn from that, F1 isn't at all forgiving.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Norris showed some weakness in failing to get past Giovinazzi a bit sooner. It cost him the chance of points as that Stroll group got ahead of him as a result.

I know I'm being harsh, it's his first race, but if Alonso were sat in that car he would have made the past sooner and scored some points. A totally unfair comparison admittedly but Norris needs to learn from that, F1 isn't at all forgiving.

Yeah it's a bit harsh I think :7_sweat_smile: 

I like how self-critical he is though.

Lando Norris:  “The team gave me a good car, with enough pace for me to be in the top 10 but I made a couple of mistakes which cost me any chance of scoring points, so I’m a little disappointed. But it’s cool to finish my first [F1] race and get it out of the way. I didn’t make the perfect start, struggled to get ahead of a slower car and then had a big lock-up so I need to work on these mistakes. I’m annoyed with myself as there was more potential. Now I focus and look forward to Bahrain.”

Here's the post-race comments of other rookie drivers:

George Russell: “I feel happy that I brought the car home with no dramas. I physically feel fine and it was a good first race from my side but obviously it is disappointing that we are so far behind the pace. We did an additional pitstop to try all three compounds of the tyres, so that is unfortunately where we are at the moment. We have got a lot of work to do tomorrow to understand and hopefully improve from there. I am not interested in fighting Robert for last, we need to work together to make this right. Overall, I can be proud and pleased with myself because we went into this weekend knowing what to expect and I achieved pretty much all of my goals.”

Alex Albon:  “Mixed feelings today! It was my first experience of a race weekend and I didn’t really know what to expect. The race started off very well, I dropped the clutch and thought ‘great, that was okay!’ I made up two positions straight away and at that time we were in the mix, as I was already one position away from the points. That was pretty much as good as it got for me, though. We were in a battle with Giovinazzi, I think he was struggling with his tyres and everyone on that strategy lost out. All of the guys who stayed out on the harder compound behind overcut us. That compromised our race but I’m still happy with how my weekend went. I think we could have had points so that stings a little, but it was a good experience and I came away with a clean weekend, relatively speaking!”

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Saw that a few days ago. Fun watch :) 

I''m usually quite good at placing Englis accents, but what the hell is Lando's supposed to be? 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Tommy said:

Saw that a few days ago. Fun watch :) 

I''m usually quite good at placing Englis accents, but what the hell is Lando's supposed to be? 

I hear a (tiny) bit of Bristol/Welsh in there. 

• Subscriber

Well done! A good race by Alex today and some consolation after that crash in FP3 and missed qualifying... 

Lando's race was over in turn 1 so very disappointing for him.

Russell out performed Kubica again; that's the only highlight for him for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

I think it's already safe to say that all three rookies have been impressive this season; either matching or even outperforming their more experienced teammates in quali sessions. 

Albon 5-5 Kvyat
Norris 7-3 Sainz 
Russell 9-1 Kubica

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Really pains me to see a talent like Russell in that shitbox. 

Hope he gets a better drive next season... Although it's hard to see where. 

• 4 months later...

Archived