• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

SFA to Consider Using Foreign Referees

football forum

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Is it particularly better anywhere else?

Having watched Chelsea vs Manchester United last night, there were a few challenges in there where the referee spoke to the player and told him to calm it, where it would've been a straight red here.

So, I'd say so.

2 minutes ago, Rab said:

Having watched Chelsea vs Manchester United last night, there were a few challenges in there where the referee spoke to the player and told him to calm it, where it would've been a straight red here.

So, I'd say so.

Seems more a reason to make referees full time rather than import second rate English referees.

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems more a reason to make referees full time rather than import second rate English referees.

Does being full time affect your ability to make a decision though? I'm not so sure.

1 minute ago, Rab said:

Does being full time affect your ability to make a decision though? I'm not so sure.

It should be something that is looked at, if English referees are seen as performing better.

We've had foreign referees before in Scotland, when the referees went on strike, and it wasn't a marked difference. Just as many controversial moments that weekend as any other.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

It should be something that is looked at, if English referees are seen as performing better.

We've had foreign referees before in Scotland, when the referees went on strike, and it wasn't a marked difference. Just as many controversial moments that weekend as any other.

Surely you'd have to experiment it for longer than a week though to have a proper comparison.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Surely you'd have to experiment it for longer than a week though to have a proper comparison.

But are they explicitly better? It's not as if Scotland are likely to bring in the best referees from abroad, and they are only part time at the moment. Are they going to make these referees full time? Why not make their current referees full time first, or have the use of VAR.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

But are they explicitly better? It's not as if Scotland are likely to bring in the best referees from abroad, and they are only part time at the moment. Are they going to make these referees full time? Why not make their current referees full time first, or have the use of VAR.

I agree that there should be more investment in to the current referees - up-skilling, giving them more training, analysing their performances/mistakes even more. Give them some more high profile games etc. 

VAR would also be crucial to their development. If European and International competitions are all going to have this technology, they are going to use the referees that use it every week. 

If Scottish officials don't have the opportunity to be involved at the highest level, and all that comes with it, they are going to be left behind.

So, in Scotland they have a full-time professional elite level of Football and the referees for that level are part-time? Doesn’t common sense suggest that maybe the issue with referees is the fact they’re expected to keep up with full-time athletes and expected to make quick decisions whilst doing this?

I’m no science expert but I’m absolutely certain there’s a link between decision making and fatigue. You cannot expect the referees to be on or even anywhere near remotely close to the fitness levels of the players and The SFA are expecting these people to do that and referee the games, that just seems totally mental. 

19 hours ago, Rab said:

Yeah because they can have more training. Also it means more people are likely to want to do it

14 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

So, in Scotland they have a full-time professional elite level of Football and the referees for that level are part-time? Doesn’t common sense suggest that maybe the issue with referees is the fact they’re expected to keep up with full-time athletes and expected to make quick decisions whilst doing this?

I’m no science expert but I’m absolutely certain there’s a link between decision making and fatigue. You cannot expect the referees to be on or even anywhere near remotely close to the fitness levels of the players and The SFA are expecting these people to do that and referee the games, that just seems totally mental. 

Definitely if you are tired you will make more mistakes

Archived