talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester 1-4 Crystal Palace - Saturday 23rd February, 2019

football forum

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Its actually incredible that there's another team in this league who are arguably as much of an embarrassing shambles as we are.

I’m not having that at all. Leicester haven’t spent £150m+ on mostly dross over the past eighteen months and have not had the expectations on them, from both within the club and outside the club, as Everton have. 

Man United and Fulham have arguably been as big shambles as Everton, not many others. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m not having that at all. Leicester haven’t spent £150m+ on mostly dross over the past eighteen months and have not had the expectations on them, from both within the club and outside the club, as Everton have. 

Man United and Fulham have arguably been as big shambles as Everton, not many others. 

Leicester won the title and it's only taken them 4 years to decline back almost to the point they always were at. When Vardy's legs go they're back in a relegation fight unless they pull an inspired managerial appointment out of their backside. I'm not having an argument over whether they're more or less of a shambles than us because the two situations aren't comparable but the bottom line is Everton are a fucking big shambles and so are Leicester, for different reasons. From the permanent appointment of Shakespeare onwards they've been in a slow but sure downward spiral.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Leicester won the title and it's only taken them 4 years to decline back almost to the point they always were at. When Vardy's legs go they're back in a relegation fight unless they pull an inspired managerial appointment out of their backside. I'm not having an argument over whether they're more or less of a shambles than us because the two situations aren't comparable but the bottom line is Everton are a fucking big shambles and so are Leicester, for different reasons. From the permanent appointment of Shakespeare onwards they've been in a slow but sure downward spiral.

That was one of, if not, the biggest fluke in football history, I don’t think anyone is surprised that Leicester are in what many would describe as their natural position.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That was one of, if not, the biggest fluke in football history, I don’t think anyone is surprised that Leicester are in what many would describe as their natural position.

I still disagree. That team wasn't title winning material but it was a good team and they got a year of exposure and money from the Champions League that has just disappeared into a hole somewhere. In reality it's been spent on Iheanacho (predictably shite), Pereira, Maddison (both decent), Slimani (shite), Ghezzal (shite), Adrien Silva (is he still there/has he ever played? Don't forget the farcical failure to register him so he was unavailable his first half season or was that someone different?), Soyuncu (I assume he's one for the future as he doesn't seem to have played).

Leicester were already big enough to establish themselves in the top flight once they got here. Winning the title doesn't mean they're expected to stay in the top four from now on but the significant boost in the club's finances and appeal should have had a long term positive effect on the club and they've wasted it. Employing Shakespeare, a perpetual number two, off the back of a new manager bounce run of form, and then replacing him with a man sacked by Southampton.

They had what's possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity to break, or at least crack, the glass ceiling that plagues every club outside the top six and pissed it up the wall. Puel has had plenty of opportunities to show progress in the last two years but has survived off a smattering of anomalous upsets of big teams. 

Not a crisis club but a huge disappointment. If I was a Leicester fan I think I'd be pretty much as apathetic and disillusioned by the last three seasons than I am now as an Everton fan.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I still disagree. That team wasn't title winning material but it was a good team and they got a year of exposure and money from the Champions League that has just disappeared into a hole somewhere. In reality it's been spent on Iheanacho (predictably shite), Pereira, Maddison (both decent), Slimani (shite), Ghezzal (shite), Adrien Silva (is he still there/has he ever played? Don't forget the farcical failure to register him so he was unavailable his first half season or was that someone different?), Soyuncu (I assume he's one for the future as he doesn't seem to have played).

Leicester were already big enough to establish themselves in the top flight once they got here. Winning the title doesn't mean they're expected to stay in the top four from now on but the significant boost in the club's finances and appeal should have had a long term positive effect on the club and they've wasted it. Employing Shakespeare, a perpetual number two, off the back of a new manager bounce run of form, and then replacing him with a man sacked by Southampton.

They had what's possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity to break, or at least crack, the glass ceiling that plagues every club outside the top six and pissed it up the wall. Puel has had plenty of opportunities to show progress in the last two years but has survived off a smattering of anomalous upsets of big teams. 

Not a crisis club but a huge disappointment. If I was a Leicester fan I think I'd be pretty much as apathetic and disillusioned by the last three seasons than I am now as an Everton fan.

Umm Leicester are a Premier league club. Champions league money means fuck all to your lot. You get 100 million pounds for being on TV. Before any sponsorships, shirt sales or gate tickets. My club barely makes 100 million pounds total. After all revenue. 

• The title was changed to Leicester 1-4 Crystal Palace - Saturday 23rd February, 2019

Archived