talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL CUP FINAL - Chelsea 0-0p Man City - Man City win 4-3 on Penalties

football forum

The whole “lost the dressing room” thing that often gets attributed to manager’s losing their jobs and “player power” were more than evident in that Kepa incident. 

I don’t see any point in delaying the inevitable any longer, Sarri should go in the morning and Kepa should be fined and given an official warning for his actions in that. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
football forum

It wasn't a misunderstanding as he had to be held back after the final whistle after the physio would have explained that it wasn't cramp. 

I don't want to lay into Sarri too much here though as I really don't know what he is supposed to do in that situation. 

• Subscriber

If indeed the players don't think they have to do what the manager says, that isn't a failure of Sarri to earn the respect of the players, or his fault for losing the dressing room, I can't stand that argument, it's an institutional failure if workers in any job flat out refuse to follow the instructions of their line manager. If the players have already given up on trying to buy into Sarri's work after barely half a season that's down to them, not him, and it's down to the money people upstairs for consistently failing to back their manager/head coach over the players.

The majority of the media and general public won't want to see or hear that though. All we as a consumer base care about is more unnecessary drama and upheaval and the opportunity to speculate over who will be the next Chelsea manager, what it will mean for Hazard's future, and what unfunny jokes Paddy Power will tweet in reaction to Sarri getting the boot.

Said it elsewhere, I’d bomb out the Chelsea players that have been at the club for 3-4 years+, if I was the next Chelsea manager. To a man, they’re all shithouses, who’d stab you in the back as soon as you turned it. 

Azpilicueta as captain needs a good slating too, not just Kepa. As captain, he should be laying down the law on the pitch, leading as example and relating the manager’s messages, as and when. For not dragging Kepa off in that situation, I think it shows him for what he is. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Said it elsewhere, I’d bomb out the Chelsea players that have been at the club for 3-4 years+, if I was the next Chelsea manager. To a man, they’re all shithouses, who’d stab you in the back as soon as you turned it. 

Azpilicueta as captain needs a good slating too, not just Kepa. As captain, he should be laying down the law on the pitch, leading as example and relating the manager’s messages, as and when. For not dragging Kepa off in that situation, I think it shows him for what he is. 

In addition to that last bit, apparently when Azpilicueta was asked about the incident, he said 'not my problem'.

Unreal that a captain of the club says that, or have that attitude towards something involving a team-mate and/or manager. It should be totally his problem as well as Kepa's and Sarri's.

football forum
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

In addition to that last bit, apparently when Azpilicueta was asked about the incident, he said 'not my problem'.

Unreal that a captain of the club says that, or have that attitude towards something involving a team-mate and/or manager. It should be totally his problem as well as Kepa's and Sarri's.

He didn't.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Bollocks that he speaks that good English and has that good grammar. 

Definitely another person has wrote that for him. 

He's done a Spanish version as well so I'm guessing it's just been translated properly. 

Something seriously needs to be done to stamp out the outrageous power that players now have in the game. The obscene rise in wages, the horrific influence of agents, the cancer that is the PFA and  pathetic owners who side with the players over the people they employ to manage them have created a climate of player power that is an embarrassment. 

Sarri is weak as fuck and thoroughly deserves to get the boot for backing down in public to some two bob nomark who has done fuck all in the game. If Abramovich had any sense he'd start chucking these mercenary cunts at Chelsea in the reserves and end their careers but that is a massive 'if' and he's shown no sign of having any sense in the last 15 years. 

I also hope the Chelsea fans start turning on these cunts and start making them feel unwelcome at the club who mean a hell of a lot more to the ones paying the wages than the simpletons who take, take, take and give fuck all back. 

I'm no fan of Chelsea but things like this boils my piss and their supporters deserve better (that goes for players, manager and owner who are all weak as fuck).

Just to add, it's also very tragic that a goalkeeper can get death threats and abuse by fans of his own club after mking a couple of high profile errors in a huge game yet this cunt at Chelsea... see what happens to him... a few saves against Spurs or Arsenal and the fickle twats that pass for fans these days will be singing his name like fickle United fans did with Rooney after he should have been kicked out in 2010

There was no misunderstanding, Sarri said it because he doesn't want the team to turn on him. Kepa came out and said it was misunderstanding because he doesn't want the fans on his back. It was clearly a big fuck off to Sarri, his team mates and the fans from Kepa. I really thought he was the next big thing but just showed he is another player that think he is bigger than the club. Bench him until the end of the season, make him an example and the other mercenaries will think again before causing trouble. Feel sorry for Sarri and i was his biggest critic, he did so well in this game and the players performed on a very high level. He made all the right substitutions and the team was spot on. However it is very obvious that no manager in this club has complete control and Roman doesn't seem to be bothered. Even tough he did a lot for this club and he was a great owner if he lost interest he should move on, and also let the club move on as well. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Stan said:

Hmmm...

D0M7mCEX4AURPJG?format=jpg&name=large

Kepa's comments on the incident.

Post incident damage control and this isn't just to save Kepa's rear its also to keep other managers interested while Chelsea try to get rid of Sarri. What happened yesterday was extremely disrespectful and no amount of playing ignorant is going to fix it. Imagine being a manager and not being able to execute your game-plan because a player felt aggrieved and wanted more time on the pitch because 'he' thinks so. I'd be fucking livid and I'd go on the pitch and drag him by his hair off it to tell him and the club that the manager has the final say in what goes on on the pitch and no one else.

Imagine the amount of confusion dissension like what was shown yesterday does to the players, the manager and the training staff? The players will all think to themselves that the manager is weak and can be bullied into any decision they want, the manager now has to deal with a player who has done it and the fact that other players have seen it and can't be trusted to be professional and the training staff now have to look at the manager and question his ability as well. If you're Sarri you hand in your letter of resignation to save yourself from the embarrassment that could potentially unfold. Sarri did the right thing last night so as to not upset the apple cart and make a scene but he was within his rights to take Kepa off and he should have.

6 hours ago, True Blue said:

There was no misunderstanding, Sarri said it because he doesn't want the team to turn on him. Kepa came out and said it was misunderstanding because he doesn't want the fans on his back. It was clearly a big fuck off to Sarri, his team mates and the fans from Kepa. I really thought he was the next big thing but just showed he is another player that think he is bigger than the club. Bench him until the end of the season, make him an example and the other mercenaries will think again before causing trouble. Feel sorry for Sarri and i was his biggest critic, he did so well in this game and the players performed on a very high level. He made all the right substitutions and the team was spot on. However it is very obvious that no manager in this club has complete control and Roman doesn't seem to be bothered. Even tough he did a lot for this club and he was a great owner if he lost interest he should move on, and also let the club move on as well. 

7 year contract. Kepa knows he is this club's long term GK, hence the authority he showed last night. 

I honestly don't know if it will be better for Sarri to bench him, or to let bygones be bygones and move forward and prepare for Wednesday. 

Top 4 or Europa league will save our season, so i'm hoping this gets resolved quick. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I honestly don't know if it will be better for Sarri to bench him, or to let bygones be bygones and move forward and prepare for Wednesday. 

As a manager in this situation, you have to show some authority over the team. I'd get Caballero in for Wednesday's game. Kepa goes in and it just shows, even more so if that's possible after yesterday, how much player power there is. 

I don't think you could let bygones be bygones so soon; there has to be some kind of physical (not written) statement from the management here. Kepa starting on Wednesday sends the wrong one out, in my opinion. It could give way to other players in the team trying it when they don't want to be brought off knowing that if they say 'sorry' or that it was a 'misunderstanding' after (which it clearly wasn't), and they'd be safe in the knowledge they could still start the next game. 

There's bound to be some internal, private discussion which should be kept at just that, same with any club fine/punishment. But if Sarri wants to save face and gain some control and backing from others, Kepa shouldn't be starting on Wednesday, and possibly at the weekend. And not that it matters as much, but Caballero is hardly a bad back-up to have either!

1 minute ago, Stan said:

As a manager in this situation, you have to show some authority over the team. I'd get Caballero in for Wednesday's game. Kepa goes in and it just shows, even more so if that's possible after yesterday, how much player power there is. 

I don't think you could let bygones be bygones so soon; there has to be some kind of physical (not written) statement from the management here. Kepa starting on Wednesday sends the wrong one out, in my opinion. It could give way to other players in the team trying it when they don't want to be brought off knowing that if they say 'sorry' or that it was a 'misunderstanding' after (which it clearly wasn't), and they'd be safe in the knowledge they could still start the next game. 

There's bound to be some internal, private discussion which should be kept at just that, same with any club fine/punishment. But if Sarri wants to save face and gain some control and backing from others, Kepa shouldn't be starting on Wednesday, and possibly at the weekend. And not that it matters as much, but Caballero is hardly a bad back-up to have either!

Willy is terribly average. His only saving grace is his ability to read players on the penalty spot. His distribution is non existent, which is why he hardly even plays in the cup games! I do not trust him at all. 

Kepa is our long term GK, whether people like it or not. Last night's showing changes nothing. The club spent 70 million on him and is tied to a 7 year contract. 

I'm looking out for what is the best interest for the club moving forward quickly. We are in a position where making top 4 or winning the Europa league, would define our season. Kepa is instrumental in our system. If he has come forward and apologised to Sarri and the staff, admitted his mistake, I say let's forget what happened and focus on our goal. We can't dwell on this when our season is at stake. 

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Willy is terribly average. His only saving grace is his ability to read players on the penalty spot. His distribution is non existent, which is why he hardly even plays in the cup games! I do not trust him at all. 

Kepa is our long term GK, whether people like it or not. Last night's showing changes nothing. The club spent 70 million on him and is tied to a 7 year contract. 

I'm looking out for what is the best interest for the club moving forward quickly. We are in a position where making top 4 or winning the Europa league, would define our season. Kepa is instrumental in our system. If he has come forward and apologised to Sarri and the staff, admitted his mistake, I say let's forget what happened and focus on our goal. We can't dwell on this when our season is at stake. 

There's far worse you could do than Caballero, even if he does have his limitations.

I get that Kepa is a long-term keeper, and eventually all parties will move on from this embarrassing debacle. Just think in the short-term I think it'd be better if Kepa was benched. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

There's far worse you could do than Caballero, even if he does have his limitations.

I get that Kepa is a long-term keeper, and eventually all parties will move on from this embarrassing debacle. Just think in the short-term I think it'd be better if Kepa was benched. 

I would too if we didn't have a must win game on Wednesday. 

• Subscriber

Yes he was being taken off supposedly for the cramp, but how could Kepa be absolutely certain that was the reason. Sarri could have been subbing him off because he trusts Willy better in a shootout situation. Kepa acted like a child who had just been told he couldn't have another go on the swings.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived