talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL CUP FINAL - Chelsea 0-0p Man City - Man City win 4-3 on Penalties

football forum

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to EFL CUP FINAL - Chelsea 0-0p Man City - Man City win 4-3 on Penalties
  • Subscriber

Think that was more down to youthful petulance from Kepa than any underlying lack of authority for Sarri or player power at the club even though that may exist. Poor communication really if Kepa was fine to stay on they shouldn't have confirmed the substitution, but it's right that as soon as the number's up you need to come off. Bitch and cry about it afterwards but you can't act like that in a cup final.

Feel for Sarri.

• Subscriber

Not Sarri's fault Kepa decided to do that. I do think it was heat of the moment rather than him consciously thinking he can get away with it, not that that makes it acceptable, but if there aren't repercussions for Kepa that are backed by the club then that's evidence of a bad rot at Chelsea.

Worse, if Sarri gets sacked after that it only makes the dressing room harder to manage for the next manager.

Full credit to Kepa for making this final something worth talking about. Sarri does need to drop him though. Can't be having a player so publicly going against one of your decisions and creating a scene.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Think that was more down to youthful petulance from Kepa than any underlying lack of authority for Sarri or player power at the club even though that may exist. Poor communication really if Kepa was fine to stay on they shouldn't have confirmed the substitution, but it's right that as soon as the number's up you need to come off. Bitch and cry about it afterwards but you can't act like that in a cup final.

Feel for Sarri.

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Where we go from here? No idea. 

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I do feel sorry for Sarri.

It's hard not to feel for Sarri today.. got almost everything right and just watched his team put in a rock solid performance to keep at bay what is arguably the best side in the country and all that after a mauling by them only a while ago.. couldn't have asked for a more determined display from them today, shame we could not get more opportunities on goal.. to throw it all away on penalties was disappointing to say the least, I would rather go down in normal time than have to sit through them.. 

As for Sarri not sure what will happen now.. gets the team motivated despite recent poor results and then that absolute shambles with Kepa at the end.. I would be inclined to dump him in the reserves for the remainder of the season for that behavior... I appreciate it may have been youthful inexperience and all that but if you are called off then you have to go no matter how disappointed you might feel, He went down twice in 15 minutes and with penalties looming it was only right that Sarri didn't want to take chances with him... I am wondering though what punishment if any he will get for that refusal to come off?? 

He needs to be dropped as first choice for while now to give him time to think about his attitude... 

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not Sarri's fault Kepa decided to do that. I do think it was heat of the moment rather than him consciously thinking he can get away with it, not that that makes it acceptable, but if there aren't repercussions for Kepa that are backed by the club then that's evidence of a bad rot at Chelsea.

Worse, if Sarri gets sacked after that it only makes the dressing room harder to manage for the next manager.

Nope. You don't behave like that unless you know you can get away with it. 

Sarri most probably is being disrespected by some players at the club, and when you witness something like that everyday during say the training, you get the guts to do the same. Except, Kepa did it during the match in front of the world. You could call him immature for doing it in public, but he perfectly knew what he was doing, because he has no respect for the manager. And that has most probably come from seeing others doing it to Sarri.

You have to feel bad for Sarri. He seems alone at that club. 

3 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Nope. You don't behave like that unless you know you can get away with it. 

Sarri most probably is being disrespected by some players at the club, and when you witness something like that everyday during say the training, you get the guts to do the same. Except, Kepa did it during the match in front of the world. You could call him immature, but he perfectly knew what he was doing, because he has no respect for the manager. And that has most probably come from seeing others doing it to Sarri.

Agree with both of you to an extent. I don't think he gave it a lot of thought, but he never would've dreamed of doing it to a manager whose authority he respected.

I think this will have further repercussions for Kepa. A lot of managers, doormats and disciplinarians alike, will refuse to go anywhere near him if he doesn't keep his head down for a long time, if ever.

• Subscriber

Sarri says in his interview it was a misunderstanding. Obviously he's going to say that but I'm inclined to believe they can play this off as nothing more than that as an isolated incident. It will rear its head again though next time the player power debate comes up.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived