talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton Promoted To Premier League

• Administrator

Okay, not officially, but they have a far superior goal difference over Huddersfield who are the only team who could prevent them being promoted. 

Welcome to the Premier League! 

Very happy for Anthony Knockaert, as well. Had a fabulous season. Look forward to seeing how they do next season! 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

big credit should go to Chris Hughton, as well. Likeable manager.

Sol Campbell will be delighted a black manager has made it to the Premier League :coffee:

Glad for Brighton, they have been a good side for a few years now and it's good to see some new blood in the Premier League. Sad to see that Liam Rosenior hasn't played much for them this season though, I miss him and we never should have let him leave :(

• Subscriber

Good for them. The best feeling ever after coming close so many times.

Especially happy for Knockaert too of course.

Glad for Hughton as well. Good manager and a sound bloke by all accounts.

How long will they last though? Good Championship manager yes, but showed at Norwich he couldn't progress with them after being sacked near the relegation zone.

Embarrassing Newcastle couldn't top the table, the less said about Villa the better.

I'm not embarrassed, it proves Rafa's genius. It just looks bad to paper team judgement who set us up for a fall all along.

As Aston Villa (who spent £20m more than us) have shown you can't just buy loads of players and then win. You have to shape them into a team, unforseen flaws in that team are going to arise as they play more games together, it's rare anyone just gets it totally right in one wholesale transfer window.

Rafa got it spot on in January with the 2 players and positions he said we needed to correct the weakness in the team. We didn't get them and the consequences are clear.

The board decided to hang fire and that we should have enough to go up. That is looking likely, but the likes of talksport are going overboard trying to drum up a disaster and a failure. We haven't been under any real threat from losing a promotion place for months. But we took a punt on settling with Jack Colback and it has cost us the title but if we go up means we can buy a lot better in the summer than we can down here.

Rafa knows what he is doing. It's going to take him a couple of transfer windows in the Premier League to shape the team at that level there as well. Unfortunately even if we do go up to the Premier League we may well have to put up with more talksport opinions who see the name Rafa Benitez and wonder why we haven't won every single game. 

One Brighton fan on the radio summed their club up well when he said they don't have the best 11 in the league but they have the best team. 

You can shape it how you like, the money you spent and the team you have you should have demolished this division. Obviously if you go back up no one will care but it is embarrassing that you can spend so much and still be outdone by Brighton, you can't deny that. Villa are beyond an embarrassment and that's why I didn't mention them but you raised the stakes with transfers and still can't win the league.

Totally missed the point of my post in your first sentence when you said the "team" you have. You mean the players we have, it's not the same thing. 

Did you bother to factor in Dwight Gayle being out as one of the reasons for Brighton over taking us? Or is it that 34 year old Daryl Murphy constitutes an embarrassment that it wasn't enough to continue being the best in the league?

We haven't won for 6 games without Gayle or scored more than 1 in any of those games. We haven't won away from home since February and coincidently haven't had Dwight Gayle in an away game since then either.

We would be comfortably top if he was fit but people like you would still call it an embarrassment, you'd just readjust it to embarassing that you didn't get 130 points.

You spent a lot of money on more than just one player, you can spin why you've been shit for those 6 games however you like, you had a strong enough team as it was with Rafa Benitez as your manager for Christ sake. You should have walked the league regardless.

There's no people like me about it, "oh but he's not fit so we're actually not underachieving in anyway", you could shit out most of the fees paid for by every club bar Villa.

This isn't an attack on you or even your club, but you've eclipsed the entire division bar one club with your spending, anything other than winning the league is underachieving. Not that that will bother you if you go up, but yes to spend that much and now be in a potential play-off fight is embarrassing.

I didn't say it wasn't underachieving. I was challenging the ludicrous notion that finishing 2nd is an embarrassment.

Oobviously we should have won the league if you only look through the lens of the headline figure spent. But there are acceptable variables that occured for why the ultimate prize didn't happen in the end and why things are positive and Rafa did well.

The potential playoff fight is overrated hype to make it sound like there is something interesting in the league going on. We haven't even remotely been under threat of playoffs since we beat Huddersfield in February. We'd have to collapse in the last 3 games to not go up.

6 minutes ago, EvertonGirl said:

Been looking forward to them coming up as it ticks off a new away ground for me - well done Brighton :bye:

Enjoy the train and queuing from Brighton station to the ground and back. I hope its not raining when you go there. :ph34r:

On 18/04/2017 at 2:51 AM, Danny said:

How long will they last though? Good Championship manager yes, but showed at Norwich he couldn't progress with them after being sacked near the relegation zone.

Embarrassing Newcastle couldn't top the table, the less said about Villa the better.

Both parts of that post are utter nonsense.

Hughton took Norwich to their highest ever league and had newly promoted Newcastle sat 10th when he got sacked.

Promotion is the only thing that matters, in a couple of months everyone will have forgotten about who won the league. 

Archived