talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton Promoted To Premier League

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Agree with this as without Googling I doubt anyone can name who won the Championship in 2003. 

Newcastle should have won the league and it's pretty embarrassing that they didn't but at the end of the day I wouldn't be too arsed as a Toon fan so long as you go up. Even if you end up in the play-offs and limp through that way it's still promotion and come August all will be forgotten.

3 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I can but I am am extremely sad human that is probably on the spectrum somewhere when it comes to football trivia.

I can as well because we finished runners-up to Portsmouth that season xD 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, HoneyNUFC said:

I don't even remember Leicester being in the Premier League in 2004?

It's like Cardiff, slowly fading out of memory, I can't even remember the year they were in the Premier League.

2009?

In the 'Throwback Thursday' thread i think it was, I posted a video of Robert booting the ball in the face of Oliver Bernard. That was in 03-04 when we played you lot at the Walkers xD 

1 minute ago, HoneyNUFC said:

I don't even remember Leicester being in the Premier League in 2004?

It's like Cardiff, slowly fading out of memory, I can't even remember the year they were in the Premier League.

It was the year when they had the prolific duo of Dickov and Scowcroft. They very nearly beat Arsenals invincibles on the last game of the season. Pretty much taught everybody how to play against them for the following season.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

2009?

In the 'Throwback Thursday' thread i think it was, I posted a video of Robert booting the ball in the face of Oliver Bernard. That was in 03-04 when we played you lot at the Walkers xD 

Thought that was probably a cup game xD

Don't worry, I know who Leicester are now.

• Administrator

fucking hell. just looked and Cardiff were in the Premier League only 3 seasons ago. WTF. 

Just now, Aaroncpfc said:

It was the year when they had the prolific duo of Dickov and Scowcroft. They very nearly beat Arsenals invincibles on the last game of the season. Pretty much taught everybody how to play against them for the following season.

I remember that game. Went 1 up and then Vieira scored I believe. 

• Subscriber

We scarred an entire generation of Leicester fans that season with our conceding of late goals. We finished 18th, joint level on points with bottom of the league, yet if games had lasted 85 minutes we'd have been about 7th or something daft like that. Even now when we've got generally a brilliant record of holding onto leads (ignoring the past fortnight) we've still got people who are convinced we will throw it away late on every time.

6 hours ago, Toony said:

Both parts of that post are utter nonsense.

Hughton took Norwich to their highest ever league and had newly promoted Newcastle sat 10th when he got sacked.

Promotion is the only thing that matters, in a couple of months everyone will have forgotten about who won the league. 

He took Norwich to 11th and the following season was sacked after he had them at 17th in April, hardly nonsense is it.

9 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Who remembers that wonderful Manchester City side under Keegan in the Championship, Berkovic, Goater, Bernabia...scored the most goals at the time I think.

With Goater, Huckerby and Wonchope leading the line I'm surprised they didn't put up more of a fight the season before. I think our duo of Morrison and Freedman may have originally been more prolific. We didn't have anything else to shout about back then other than how Clinton was having a mad season.

7 hours ago, Danny said:

He took Norwich to 11th and the following season was sacked after he had them at 17th in April, hardly nonsense is it.

I'm not sure a manager who took his team to their highest ever premier league finish can be classed as a total failure. The second season was poor yes, but it's only Norwich and look where they are now.

1 hour ago, Toony said:

I'm not sure a manager who took his team to their highest ever premier league finish can be classed as a total failure. The second season was poor yes, but it's only Norwich and look where they are now.

It's not only Norwich though is it, it's him. I talked about progression and he showed a lack of progression at Norwich. I've not said anything wrong. I realise you're bias toward him but my point still stands.

26 minutes ago, Danny said:

It's not only Norwich though is it, it's him. I talked about progression and he showed a lack of progression at Norwich. I've not said anything wrong. I realise you're bias toward him but my point still stands.

Lack of progression, yes. Did he do a bad job? Not particularly. 

17 minutes ago, Toony said:

Because you were making out he had done a terrible job, get off your high horse.

Only if you get back on your rocker,  he hasn't progressed as a Prem manager and the last time he had money to spend hr still had Norwich 1 off the relegation zone. Which is what I said, I didn't realise this was a topic just to wank off over him and ignore his longest and failed spell in the Prem.

21 minutes ago, Danny said:

Only if you get back on your rocker,  he hasn't progressed as a Prem manager and the last time he had money to spend hr still had Norwich 1 off the relegation zone. Which is what I said, I didn't realise this was a topic just to wank off over him and ignore his longest and failed spell in the Prem.

Okay, Norwich so much better off without him too of course.

You better head back to the Championship forum now 

9 hours ago, Toony said:

Okay, Norwich so much better off without him too of course.

You better head back to the Championship forum now 

Obviously they're not are they, but it doesn't change the fact that the one time he had time in the Premier League he couldn't keep his side away from the drop.

Oooh you're hard :clown:

5 hours ago, Danny said:

Obviously they're not are they, but it doesn't change the fact that the one time he had time in the Premier League he couldn't keep his side away from the drop.

Oooh you're hard :clown:

Newcastle? Newly promoted and sat 11th at Christmas.

He recorded Norwich's highest ever premier league finish and highest finish in 24 years in his only full season there. One bad season yes, but doesn't every manager have a bad season? Look at Mourinho at Chelsea last season.

3 minutes ago, Toony said:

He recorded Norwich's highest ever premier league finish and highest finish in 24 years in his only full season there. One bad season yes, but doesn't every manager have a bad season? Look at Mourinho at Chelsea last season.

What about Newcastle? Yes he done well there, but plenty of managers have a good first season in the Prem before struggling to maintain it. How are you comparing Mourinho having a public meltdown at Chelsea to Chris Hughton at Norwich? Hughton had a great first season in the Prem with them, then his second season he was sacked towards the end because he was taking them to relegation. That cannot be argued, he did not progress with Norwich and took them back to where he started with them. So under those circumstances, the only job he's had in the Premier League for longer than half a season and close to two full seasons, it's fair to raise a doubt as to whether he'll be able to avoid doing the same thing with Brighton.

He is one of the most underrated managers going, there's a lot of Norwich fans who like him.

You won't know a good manager when you see one supporting Brentford, the only way they'll get out of the Championship is if they get relegated to league one.

6 minutes ago, Toony said:

He is one of the most underrated managers going, there's a lot of Norwich fans who like him.

You won't know a good manager when you see one supporting Brentford, the only way they'll get out of the Championship is if they get relegated to league one.

There were also a lot of fans who didn't like him, those that wanted him gone because he played a negative brand of football and kept losing.

You're well witty ain't you xD #BritainsGotBanter

4 hours ago, Toony said:

Highest finishes/points in so long don't really equate to someone being a good manager. Pardew had Newcastle's in about 10 years. Only difference is Norwich pulled the plug on Hughton early before it got boring. 

Archived