talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Catch 22 (Miniseries)

football forum

As a massive fan of the book, I am part excited (because of the cast) and part nervous (because I love the book) about this.

I thought the Mike Nicholls movie was decent, and more importantly Alan Arkin was the perfect Yossarian. 

You could argue that there is no need for this remake, but it's a series instead of a movie. I always felt the movie wasn't really able to fully cover all aspects of the book, which the series can. So, really hoping they deliver. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Love the book, one of my all-time favourites and while I thought the original movie was decent, I still think it's one of those novels that doesn't translate well to screen. That said, I will definitely watch it :7_sweat_smile:

Yep, I agree that it's one of those novels, whose certain aspects can't be translated to video. The funny commentary on situations need a narrator, but if the narrator bit is not  done properly then it will look awkward. 

Also, I am reading that the story will unravel chronologically in the series. So, that's a change. 

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Just watched the first episode.... and I absolutely love it. I think they did an incredibly good job keeping the general feel of it very close to that of the novel. The writing is great; the acting is amazing. The actor who plays Yossarian is incredible; the way he looks like, the way he talks, the way he acts - it actually resembles the image of Yossarian created in my mind while reading the book. They really caught the essence of it, it seems. The cinematography and music score are spot on as well. I'm getting a massive M*A*S*H feel here and it's amazing... :x Will definitely watch the rest of it over the weekend (all episodes are out now).

@IgnisExcubitor @Dr. Gonzo @Bluewolf

Glad to hear it's good.

I actually saw the trailer for the first time this morning, it looks really good. I think I'm going to want to re-read the book before I give it a watch, but I'm definitely excited to give it a watch.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Glad to hear it's good.

I actually saw the trailer for the first time this morning, it looks really good. I think I'm going to want to re-read the book before I give it a watch, but I'm definitely excited to give it a watch.

I want to re-read the book as well but I lent it to someone years ago and never got it back ¬¬ will have to order it again.

But seriously, give it a go... If the rest of the episodes are as good as Episode 1 or at least close to it, then it will easily become one of my favourite series ever.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Just watched the first episode.... and I absolutely love it. I think they did an incredibly good job keeping the general feel of it very close to that of the novel. The writing is great; the acting is amazing. The actor who plays Yossarian is incredible; the way he looks like, the way he talks, the way he acts - it actually resembles the image of Yossarian created in my mind while reading the book. They really caught the essence of it, it seems. The cinematography and music score are spot on as well. I'm getting a massive M*A*S*H feel here and it's amazing... :x Will definitely watch the rest of it over the weekend (all episodes are out now).

@IgnisExcubitor @Dr. Gonzo @Bluewolf

Cheers for the heads up... will give it a watch as you speak of it so highly

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I have just come back from village, and I am keeping this for the weekend. Nice to hear the good review. 

I'm currently halfway through it (3 episodes out of 6) and I'm loving it...

• Subscriber

Just finished it all. Loved it... But at the same time, it kind of made me depressed. Which is a good thing given the subject material it's based on. Must say that I've felt very similar watching this as I did when I read the book for the first time so as much as I'm concerned, they made a really great job. Got to say I didn't expect them to pull it off, great job.

17 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just finished it all. Loved it... But at the same time, it kind of made me depressed. Which is a good thing given the subject material it's based on. Must say that I've felt very similar watching this as I did when I read the book for the first time so as much as I'm concerned, they made a really great job. Got to say I didn't expect them to pull it off, great job.

I was going to say "I think it's supposed to" … and then I read the rest of your post and you very clearly already know that xD

Looking forward to watching more of it, I've still only watched the first episode. But I'd just blasted through a re-read of the book so the story is all fresh in my head and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the show compares to what is probably my favourite book of all time.

And that second bit in bold... that just makes me happy. It's a book that if it's going to have a TV adaptation deserves to be an excellent adaptation. So that high praise has me looking forward to me getting through with watching the rest.

Halfway through this and mighty impressed. It isn't perfect, but I would have be a proper idiot to think anyone can truly capture the novel in its entirety. They have taken some liberties and cut out some stuff (and I don't mind) but I also loved how the direction and acting hasn't gone over the top during humorous or sad scenes. The grim scenes are actually well shot and not melodramatic and they have a perfect effect. A sneaky punch in the gut. 

The castings have been spot on. Except Milo (I just couldn't like the actor as I thought he was weak), I loved them all. Especially Kyle Chandler's Cathcart and Abbott's Yossarian. I have to applaud Abbott for doing a great job.

Finished with it. Good job to the makers. It's not perfect and chooses not to use most of Heller's humour, but it got the novel's message across in the best possible way. And it can be proud of providing a really good adaptation of  the book.

Also, I hope Abbott goes on to big roles. Lad is hugely talented. 

Archived