talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[FM17] Football Manager Experiments

football forum

• Subscriber

Starting a thread to run some experiments on Football Manager 2017 and share the results with you lot. I've got the FM itch back, but not enough to commit to a proper save, so instead I'm going to piss around with some stuff in the Editor and run the game over time in the background before reporting back on the results. Each one will last until it appears to come what I'd call a natural end.

I have a few experiments in the pipeline, but any ideas are of course welcome.

The beginning of the first experiment will be with you shortly...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Brexit FC - Part One

The year is 2016, and Vote Leave are still celebrating their victory in the British EU Referendum. Nowhere were the celebrations more wild though, than the English town Boston, who had the distinct boon of being the highest Leave-voting constituency in all of the United Kingdom. The citizens of Boston determined that they'd celebrate this success by renaming local football team Boston Town to Brexit FC, and their campaign gained so much traction that former UKIP leader Nigel Farage agreed to become the new chairman of the club, bringing along with him the significant financial clout of the former donators to the UKIP party which now find themselves looking for a new cause to believe in.

The process was completed quickly, and with vastly increased finances and a boost to their reputation due to nationwide exposure on the news, Brexit FC continue what is likely to be a long and arduous journey from the United Counties Premier to further proud, British glory.

Club details:

2141397968_1.ClubDetails.png.2b5f400abdac7d21ab8f8ff498ba82db.png

1835568712_2.StaffList.thumb.png.17af01da9eac689f265fd3abee24bcb1.png

Notes:

As I couldn't be arsed taking over this team as manager myself, all I've done here is given Nigel Farage all of the traits which encourage him and his club to employ managers and players with English nationality. How this affects the manager's decision making I don't know, but that's why it's an experiment. Aside from the domestic players thing, I'm interested to see how much money gets pumped into the club before they do things like turn professional and build a bigger stadium etc.

Holiday mode is go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Could you not have implemented a club policy to only sign English players? I know Bilbao will have their Basque policy written into the game somewhere so I wondered if there was an equivalent.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Dan said:

Could you not have implemented a club policy to only sign English players? I know Bilbao will have their Basque policy written into the game somewhere so I wondered if there was an equivalent.

I thought you'd be able to, but I actually looked for Bilbao in the editor to see what you have to add to a club to make them only sign a specific nationality, and sadly I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary so looks like it's one of those things that's buried in some other document somewhere.

- Always wanted to take a job, appoint a Director of Football if the club didn’t have one already and just let them deal with everything, while I have to somehow do something with the players I’m given. I’m always too much of a control freak to do so and the DoF aspect on FM is rubbish. 

- Wanted to try and make a club profitable. Most clubs I tend to manage run at a loss and the loss seems to get bigger over the seasons and I would like to attempt to sit down, look at the figures and budget accordingly, rather than just using whatever the club gives me on wages, transfers etc. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

- Always wanted to take a job, appoint a Director of Football if the club didn’t have one already and just let them deal with everything, while I have to somehow do something with the players I’m given. I’m always too much of a control freak to do so and the DoF aspect on FM is rubbish. 

- Wanted to try and make a club profitable. Most clubs I tend to manage run at a loss and the loss seems to get bigger over the seasons and I would like to attempt to sit down, look at the figures and budget accordingly, rather than just using whatever the club gives me on wages, transfers etc. 

On the first one, I've started a couple of these saves where I've given all of the training, contracts and transfers over to my backroom staff, and just looked at tactics and motivation myself. It would have been better if I kept training to myself as a traditional coach role but I've not really gotten used to the new training since they changed it in about 2014. Each time these saves have ended up being a bit boring and fizzling out. The game's AI is absolutely atrocious at transfers and squad building.

On the second point, I tried a moneyball save and it was pretty fun. My focus was on making profit from transfers rather than making the club profitable but naturally it had a positive impact on club finances.

Archived