talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s been coming I suppose for a while. However poor Leicester have been off late, the way in which he and the players reacted to the helicopter crash was admirable and Leicester went on a good run after that when they could have quite easily and understandly lost their heads a bit and gone on a disastrous run. 

That list of names is unimaginative. I do wonder how many jobs are given to people who are listed by SkyBet within the first hour of the news breaking about a manager leaving. There are certain names that seem to appear on every job that comes up. 

Unfortunately for Puel, he was in a situation where he could have got the team to 7th, pretty much the best place they could finish, and he still wouldn't be fully backed by the fans.

It's not like he's a bad manager at all, seems well respected in the game so I feel sorry for him.

I just think fans struggle to warm to him. He doesn't establish that connection with them so they are always doubting his methods. If the fans love you, they will back you even in the questionable moments.

He had the exact same thing at Southampton and he nearly won them a cup. Best for both parties i think. 

football forum

Said it many times but it was a poor appointment from the start, despite nearly getting them to a cup final his time in Southampton was a bit poor and it's no surprise that he's done similar at Leicester. 

It's been coming for a while this, but there are much bigger problems at that club. I don't care if the league title was a "one-off" or a "fairytale". To win the league and then slot back into bog standard, arguable relegation fighting football/league positions is piss poor. The league title should have been the spring board for Leicester being a regular Europe League side, flirting with a occasional Champions League spot. 

• Subscriber

I admire what he's tried to do here but it's been obvious for quite a while that he was never going to properly be able to implement it with any success. I hold no ill feeling towards him but he just wasn't the right man for the job and given what happened at Southampton too, I don't think the Premier League is for him either. It's too unforgiving. 

When you're as dreadful at home as we are you're never going to win the fanbase over. We've won four home games all season, only twice since September, lost four on the bounce. It was only heading one way and I genuinely felt that the rate we're going, we were going to get dragged into the relegation mix.

The squad's in a decent position for someone to come and do something with it but that someone just wasn't Puel.

• Subscriber

Didn't Puel also finish top half when he took Saints to the League Cup final? I remember being pretty mystified that he was sacked off the back of a late dip in form towards the end of the season. Southampton haven't exactly fared as well since they gave him the boot, though with the loss of key players it's obviously not just down to that.

He must have something about him as a Ligue 1 winner but the number of jobs he's had since doesn't exactly reflect well, although at the same time most managers have similar looking CVs.

I just don't think he's that well suited to the Premier League. 

Don’t think it’s a good job for anyone to go into, tbh. 

A number of their key players from that title winning team, Schemichel (32), Morgan (35), Simpson (32), Albrighton (29), Fuchs (32), Okazaki (32) and Vardy (32), are ageing and the wrong side of 30 now, they’ve got some poor/underperforming players they’ve signed since then in the likes of Ihenacho, Ghezzal, Mendy and Amartey to name a few and there’s bound to be another summer of speculation regarding Harry Maguire and potentially James Maddison too, if he keeps building on the reputation he’s developed for himself. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Didn't Puel also finish top half when he took Saints to the League Cup final? I remember being pretty mystified that he was sacked off the back of a late dip in form towards the end of the season. Southampton haven't exactly fared as well since they gave him the boot, though with the loss of key players it's obviously not just down to that.

He must have something about him as a Ligue 1 winner but the number of jobs he's had since doesn't exactly reflect well, although at the same time most managers have similar looking CVs.

I just don't think he's that well suited to the Premier League. 

It's weird because there are managers with poorer records who seem to get more forgiveness, but there's too much missing for him to succeed in England. A lot of Southampton fans I've read things from think that the rot did start to set in under him, that the dreadful home form created an overall negative vibe about the club that is quite hard to recover from.

Leicester will get stick like we always do because we've had a couple of quite controversial ones, but I again pose this question to fans of the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, Everton, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth... would you have Puel? I'd doubt it now given what us and Southampton fans would tell you.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's weird because there are managers with poorer records who seem to get more forgiveness, but there's too much missing for him to succeed in England. A lot of Southampton fans I've read things from think that the rot did start to set in under him, that the dreadful home form created an overall negative vibe about the club that is quite hard to recover from.

Leicester will get stick like we always do because we've had a couple of quite controversial ones, but I again pose this question to fans of the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, Everton, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth... would you have Puel? I'd doubt it now given what us and Southampton fans would tell you.

I wouldn't have him, even though I'm partially defending his spell at Southampton I didn't think at the time that he was a great appointment from Leicester. Not very ambitious and his one previous job in England wasn't awful but also didn't scream of being someone who would give a club like Leicester the sort of direction they need.

Rodgers I think could be a good appointment. I don't like him and I don't think he's a top class manager by any means but he's also perceived harshly. He did a good job at Swansea and almost won the title with Liverpool even if admittedly his team at that time was fundamentally flawed.

People fall into the trap of thinking one failure means a manager is permanently crap, when that's clearly not the case. Just like in every other job, you have successes and failures and you learn and get better. I think Rodgers has the hunger to prove himself and enough success behind him to be a potentially decent appointment for Leicester.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Don’t think it’s a good job for anyone to go into, tbh. 

A number of their key players from that title winning team, Schemichel (32), Morgan (35), Simpson (32), Albrighton (29), Fuchs (32), Okazaki (32) and Vardy (32), are ageing and the wrong side of 30 now, they’ve got some poor/underperforming players they’ve signed since then in the likes of Ihenacho, Ghezzal, Mendy and Amartey to name a few and there’s bound to be another summer of speculation regarding Harry Maguire and potentially James Maddison too, if he keeps building on the reputation he’s developed for himself. 

Morgan's gone this summer I think. We've got loads of defenders now and it's time to respectfully part ways, I wonder if maybe even he fancies a new challenge himself. I reckon he'd get a deal in the MLS.

Okazaki and Simpson are done for now I think. Fuchs as well is likely to go in the summer. Schmeichel and Vardy are the big ones, they're on big, long contracts and I think whoever gets the job has got to work with these two - that's not a bad thing, Schmeichel is not a bad keeper (though not perfect) and Vardy's still for me one of the best strikers outside the top six, struggling in a side that doesn't actually create many decent chances, quelle surprise.

There's some good players in this squad though. A lot who infuriate but there is talent in this side. I don't think Rodgers would be a bad fit actually. He's attacking by nature and that suits us.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I wouldn't have him, even though I'm partially defending his spell at Southampton I didn't think at the time that he was a great appointment from Leicester. Not very ambitious and his one previous job in England wasn't awful but also didn't scream of being someone who would give a club like Leicester the sort of direction they need.

Rodgers I think could be a good appointment. I don't like him and I don't think he's a top class manager by any means but he's also perceived harshly. He did a good job at Swansea and almost won the title with Liverpool even if admittedly his team at that time was fundamentally flawed.

People fall into the trap of thinking one failure means a manager is permanently crap, when that's clearly not the case. Just like in every other job, you have successes and failures and you learn and get better. I think Rodgers has the hunger to prove himself and enough success behind him to be a potentially decent appointment for Leicester.

I do think that's who it will be. He isn't getting a better job in England than Leicester in my opinion and he's not going to achieve anything at Celtic that he hasn't already. It makes sense for both parties.

I don't think Puel has been a disaster at Leicester but people just weren't enjoying it this run of form is frankly worrying, it could have become one.

Leicester need to sort their act out regarding manager recruitment. I feel like we don't have enough of a plan when getting managers in. I do feel like we've been quite reckless with our recruitment but often gotten lucky.

16 minutes ago, Dan said:

Southampton didn't want him so you shouldn't have given him the job in the first place. It's just naive these clubs who think they know better than the fans and club a manager used to be at who have seen him every game and seen his flaws. 

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Southampton didn't want him so you shouldn't have given him the job in the first place. It's just naive these clubs who think they know better than the fans and club a manager used to be at who have seen him every game and seen his flaws. 

Fans are fucking morons. 

• The title was changed to Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired

Archived