• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Danny said:

Benitez is all wrong for your flair players, Rodgers a much better option imo 

Popular misconception that Rafa doesn't play attacking football or appreciates flair players. 

He likes to build his team from the back, and works hard on his team's defence. But once he sorts that out, his teams play good attacking football. 

Under him, we regularly despatched bottom half table teams by 3,4 or 5 goals. 

• Subscriber

We hardly ever beat them and it used to be our bread and butter.

4 home wins all season, 2 since September, 4 home defeats on the spin for the first time in 19 years (three of them against teams below us).

I find it sad that we've totally abandoned our philosophy purely because we fucked up a couple of transfer windows. The football snobs have beat us. It's criminal.

• Administrator

I reckon we'll get Benitez in.

Interim manager (no idea who) til end of the season. Benitez is out of contract in the summer which means it'll be cheaper to get him in and maybe get an agreement in place between now and summer anyway. 

Would Benitez really go to Leicester? I mean he's managed some elite clubs, I'd have thought he saw Newcastle as a club to repair his reputation a bit and if he moved on it would be to a bigger name. Obviously the title year was amazing but I'd have thought he'd want to get his name back among the bigger boys.

I suppose with his family all on the Wirral he wants to stay in England, and the real top jobs aren't going to come in for him. I'd have thought he'd be interested in one of the bigger clubs in Spain again though.

• Subscriber

I think he'd come if we made him a brilliant offer. I'm unsure if we're capable of that with the whole situation regarding ownership still not being totally solved.

I'd have him here all day long. His football cannot be worse than Puel's and this is usually his ultimate criticism. Under Puel I went to home games never expecting a win. That's depressing.

Normally Benitez wouldn't even give it a second thought leaving Newcastle to go to Leicester.

Unfortunately, we are lumbered with Ashley. Ashley is the only "owner" to keep making a whopping profit from the transfer business every year much to the weakening of our club leaving us begging and borrowing

I recall rival teams in Championship (especially the obnoxious hypocritical Aston Villa fans) ranting we'd "Spent a fortune" when we'd actually made a 34 million pound profit on transfer dealings, and not even top 3 spenders (Villa spent most)

Leicester's owners have shown they WILL support the manager and spend to support him, so we ARE worried - we turn up and support the team. But the owner does very little (least in Prem league)

• Administrator

Welcome to the forums @Phil Kennedy!

That's the one thing I think that could sway Benitez - the fact our owners will give him financial backing and they're considerably better than Ashle(which admittedly isn't that much of an achievement!).

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Phil Kennedy said:

Normally Benitez wouldn't even give it a second thought leaving Newcastle to go to Leicester.

Unfortunately, we are lumbered with Ashley. Ashley is the only "owner" to keep making a whopping profit from the transfer business every year much to the weakening of our club leaving us begging and borrowing

I recall rival teams in Championship (especially the obnoxious hypocritical Aston Villa fans) ranting we'd "Spent a fortune" when we'd actually made a 34 million pound profit on transfer dealings, and not even top 3 spenders (Villa spent most)

Leicester's owners have shown they WILL support the manager and spend to support him, so we ARE worried - we turn up and support the team. But the owner does very little (least in Prem league)

Agree with this. Newcastle easily the bigger club but this job might just be everything that Newcastle ought to have been.

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Welcome to the forums @Phil Kennedy!

That's the one thing I think that could sway Benitez - the fact our owners will give him financial backing and they're considerably better than Ashle(which admittedly isn't that much of an achievement!).

Absolutely. Leicester's owners are the complete opposite of our own. And envied by long suffering Newcastle fans. 

Every time we read of some obnoxious media twerp (like Richard Keys for instance) attacking Newcastle fans backing Ashley you know full well no rival fan would want Ashley anywhere near their club - which was proved when Rangers fans went ballistic when he moved on THEIR club. Newcastle fans are whining etc and unfair to Ashley they said - until it looked like he'd taken over at Rangers it was sooooo different when THEY were possibly going to get his choke hold - but it applies to so many rival fans, on this subject

1 hour ago, Phil Kennedy said:

Yeah, I think all things considered, the Leicester job would be fairly tempting for Rafa. It's not a bigger club, but it's a better situation for a manager. Right now he's tasked with the impossible situation of improving Newcastle on a shoestring budget. With Leicester's owners backing, they'll sign him players he wants and he likely won't need to sell to spend.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I think all things considered, the Leicester job would be fairly tempting for Rafa. It's not a bigger club, but it's a better situation for a manager. Right now he's tasked with the impossible situation of improving Newcastle on a shoestring budget. With Leicester's owners backing, they'll sign him players he wants and he likely won't need to sell to spend.

The other thing I think he'll like at Leicester is that there's already good individual talent there and a good core - Maguire, Ndidi (albeit off form this season), Maddison, Vardy. 

Interesting thing about the 'sell to spend' thing - it wouldn't surprise me if this is something we do end up doing for the next few years. We've just forked out £100m loan for our new training complex and we've got a stadium expansion in the pipeline. I can't see us spending huge money in the near future 1) because of those financial commitments & investments and 2) it's about time we go back to spending more shrewdly and wisely. I hope that gone are the days where we spunk ridiculous money on players that end up being relative failures like Slimani, Iheanacho and Musa. That's approximately £75m worth of strikers for only a handful of goals across nearly 3 seasons. Not to mention approximately £50m+ spent on Iborra, Silva & Ghezzal who haven't really lived up to expectation. Embarrassing amount of spending.

Just now, Stan said:

The other thing I think he'll like at Leicester is that there's already good individual talent there and a good core - Maguire, Ndidi (albeit off form this season), Maddison, Vardy. 

Interesting thing about the 'sell to spend' thing - it wouldn't surprise me if this is something we do end up doing for the next few years. We've just forked out £100m loan for our new training complex and we've got a stadium expansion in the pipeline. I can't see us spending huge money in the near future 1) because of those financial commitments & investments and 2) it's about time we go back to spending more shrewdly and wisely. I hope that gone are the days where we spunk ridiculous money on players that end up being relative failures like Slimani, Iheanacho and Musa. That's approximately £75m worth of strikers for only a handful of goals across nearly 3 seasons. Not to mention approximately £50m+ spent on Iborra, Silva & Ghezzal who haven't really lived up to expectation. Embarrassing amount of spending.

Rafa to Leicester nailed on then. He'll probably be given promises about what he can spend by the board, sign the contract, and on the first day they'll tell him "whooopsies, might have misled you there" and he'll just be thinking "are you fucking kidding me? not again"

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Stan said:

I do think though if we do sell anyone we'll take in loads of money. The good thing with us is that we're in a decent financial position already and the likes of Chilwell would go for well more than his genuine value.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Large said:

I’d love them to take a punt on Wilder. Fella deserves props for his work at the Blades.

He might not even need it.

I like Wilder but actually hope he stays there. He could take them up and it would be a fantastic achievement.

Brendan Rodgers has gone to 1/6 on Sky.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Stan said:

Really is a shame Walsh left when he did. He didn't want to go above £10million for Slimani and we go and blow treble that on deadline day. It's beyond belief. It completely went to our heads that title win. Totally lost our way.

football forum
7 minutes ago, Dan said:

Really is a shame Walsh left when he did. He didn't want to go above £10million for Slimani and we go and blow treble that on deadline day. It's beyond belief. It completely went to our heads that title win. Totally lost our way.

Strange how Walsh was so good at Leicester yet was given total control of transfers at Everton and made a right cock-up. So bad that we are still paying the price today, I still can't put my finger on how he got it so badly. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Strange how Walsh was so good at Leicester yet was given total control of transfers at Everton and made a right cock-up. So bad that we are still paying the price today, I still can't put my finger on how he got it so badly. 

None of it makes sense. Real conundrum to me. It's not like it's even a case of signing good players at one and bad at another the fact he seemed to fundamentally completely change what he was doing. He'd never have sanctioned moves like Sigurdsson's for us.

• Subscriber

Walsh did spot Gueye to be fair to him. The problem was Kenwright, Koeman and Walsh all sticking their fingers in the pie. Koeman wanted Sigurdsson and Moshiri was happy to cough up the money. In the meantime Walsh was after Klaassen and Kenwright was apparently the main driving force behind Rooney's return. The result, unlimited attacking midfielders and no striker to replace Lukaku.

As for Benitez, I'm in the minority of people who don't see why he'd go to Leicester clearly. I just don't see what's in it for him. With his career and CV I don't think he's at the stage in his career where he's arsed about moving to a different Premier League club who basically can't win anything just so he can have a better chance of challenging for 6th/7th place. He went to Newcastle and stayed there because he has a connection with the club and the fans. I'm sure Ashley tests his limits and maybe he will leave this summer but I just don't see that Leicester is that attractive to him. If we were talking about a younger manager then yeah, but this is a guy who's won the Champions League and managed Liverpool, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Inter. No offence to Leicester but I don't see him getting that excited about the prospects there.

• The title was changed to Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired

Archived