talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Leicester will still finish mid table, so he just preferred finishing mid table in the PL than to win the Scottish League. I would be annoyed if i followed Scottish football in general

Believe me, we're fine with this.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think this is a smart move by rodgers, If he fails at Leicester which is a big possibility then he's fucked. Obviously he thinks its worth the risk though and I genuinely hope he has some success there because i still like the bloke despite his horrific last 18 months with Liverpool.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Really good work this from Leicester.

I rate Rodgers. Have done since his Swansea days and contrary to any other belief, I think he was pivotal in nearly winning the league for Liverpool, regardless of Suarez.

I can certainly see why he's left Celtic. It soon becomes stale being that dominant. The challenge wears thin quick. Gerrard will be the same. It's merely a stepping stone to launch or resurrect a career. 

He will help give them back an identity, something Puel has somewhat taken away from them. Leicester have always been capable of goals and have some talented forward options, so I think he'll install an attack minded philosophy in keeping with his previous stints.

He will help encourage the growth of youth at the club as this is where he originally came from at Chelsea and this will be vital to the clubs future progress if they can get a few make it to first team level.

He's already got the likes of Chilwell, Barnes, Maddison, Gray, Ndidi, Choudary and Tielemens to work with, all young guys to build a team around. I believe he is can help develop their game further.

My only thought would be that they cannot break Top 6. They will realistically only go for a Cup or to finish as high as 7th. Will that be enough for him?

We will see though. The immediate aim has to be to finish the season strong, as high as possible and give him a chance to suss out who is worth keeping and who isn't.

People here would be very happy if he got us to 7th and it's a total myth that we wouldn't be (some seem to think every time we sack a manager it's because we're not in the top four for some bizarre reason). We were 7th under Puel briefly but I think people always feared that it would come toppling down under him and sure enough it did.

I am happy with this. We're not going to attract the perfect manager being who we are. I wanted someone that the fans will be right behind, someone who you feel has a point to prove and someone who can improve our players - I feel he can tick all of those boxes.

The Celtic reaction is telling to me. They're gutted and that cannot be a bad sign.

19 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

I dont think this is a smart move by rodgers, If he fails at Leicester which is a big possibility then he's fucked. Obviously he thinks its worth the risk though and I genuinely hope he has some success there because i still like the bloke despite his horrific last 18 months with Liverpool.

If it doesn't go well by Leicester expectations, like for Puel, then Rodgers will still be wanted by the next level down, the relegation fighters and the upper Championship sides.

I'm interested to see how he has his team play. Liverpool obviously had the means to attack but his Swansea played the worst version of "modern" football I've ever seen. They would keep the ball for long spells in their own half as they tried to mimic that tedious era of dominance Spain and Barcelona had but with Danny Graham.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Rodgers is a quality manager so long as he is provided with players who are capable of playing his ideal system, and the club/team have the attitude to buy-into his methods.

He improved the Celtic team massively, and the idea that you can't judge his work because we already are guaranteed the league is:

1- stupid because anyone with eyes can see if a team is playing better or not, and the team has delivered European performances (in extremely hard groups) unlike anything in the last 6-7 years,

2- stupid because even if you just look at trophies it's objectively undeniable that he's vastly improved things.

Nonetheless when the club failed to achieve its transfer targets last summer he somewhat threw-in the towel and has responded with bizarre team selections rather than proper adjustments. And there have been persistent issues - such as defending set-pieces - which are deeper than personnel and which have consistently cost results in Europe.

Edit: also considering the state of recruitment I wouldn't have blamed him at all for leaving in the summer. But leaving with 2 trophies to play for, a crucial league game tomorrow, a cup quarter final in a week, and on the cusp of becoming a hero to the club - all for a fairly mundane job - reflects extremely negatively on him personally.

I agree with this and I'm saying that as the beneficiary. I was happy to go with Michael Appleton until May and then wait for Rodgers until the summer. I'm amazed it's happening this quickly given this was the case. Great for us but it's awful for Celtic and if you don't win the league he will be despised I'd imagine.

5 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That would be a great comparison if it ever happened 

Forgot about his spell at Hull City. Guess Rodgers leaving Celtic for Leicester should be seen as less of a big deal then.

• Subscriber

Surprised at how quick this happened. Rodgers getting away from Gerrard and Rangers as soon as he can. :ph34r:

Quick, yes... but i'm not surprised at him actually taking the job, though. A mid table PL team is still a level above the top job in Scotland.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

New Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers "promised the players there are special things on the horizon" after watching their win over Brighton, said caretaker boss Mike Stowell.

He’s off already with the vomit inducing rubbish.

As if he's the first manager to do such a thing xD

Good move for Rodgers. This Leicester side are similarly positioned to his Swansea side but have much better players to choose from.

Obviously he was on for the "treble treble", but I think he's achieved all he can at Celtic now. I'm not sure Leicester have it in them to break the top 6 as they are, but I think their owners have high ambitions so it wouldn't surprise me to see that happen.The likes of West Ham, Wolves and Watford will make it competitive for a top 6 spot next season as it is, never mind the actual top 6.

• The title was changed to Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why is it embarrassing? 

Am I living in some sort of parallel universe here? Leicester fucking city fans sneering at Celtic. 

'always a fraud'.

They were begging him to stay and butthurt that he left them, now they're calling him a fraud. If he was 'always' a fraud, that would mean he was one when he joined a few years ago, too...

Do you have some sort of problem with Leicester fans xD? Seems you've taken umbrage to a lot of stuff said by me or @Dan recently. Weirdly. 

Didn't know there was a list of clubs certain fans could or couldn't 'sneer' at, either.

6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why is it embarrassing? 

Am I living in some sort of parallel universe here? Leicester fucking city fans sneering at Celtic. 

I'm not sure about embarrassing, but calling him a fraud after everything he's won with them is a bit weird

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

'always a fraud'.

They were begging him to stay and butthurt that he left them, now they're calling him a fraud. If he was 'always' a fraud, that would mean he was one when he joined a few years ago, too...

Do you have some sort of problem with Leicester fans xD? Seems you've taken umbrage to a lot of stuff said by me or @Dan recently. Weirdly. 

Didn't know there was a list of clubs certain fans could or couldn't 'sneer' at, either.

The word 'fraud' is bandied around willy nilly on here, never seen you get upset before. I imagine they mean he is not the big Celtic man he claimed to me, which is fair comment given how he dropped them at this time. 

No, couldn't care less about Leicester City. You seem a bit of a dull idiot but Dan is quite a good poster.  

Sneering gives the impression you think you're a larger club, which couldnt be further from the truth. 

• Administrator
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

The word 'fraud' is bandied around willy nilly on here, never seen you get upset before. I imagine they mean he is not the big Celtic man he claimed to me, which is fair comment given how he dropped them at this time. 

No, couldn't care less about Leicester City. You seem a bit of a dull idiot but Dan is quite a good poster.  

Sneering gives the impression you think you're a larger club, which couldnt be further from the truth. 

How is it even sneering, anyway? 

Calling something embarrassing isn't 'sneering' xD. I don't disagree they're a larger club either. Doesn't mean I can't find stuff their fans do embarrassing. Who made you the moral arbiter of anything anyway xD?!

As for you calling me dull. Pot kettle black there I'd say. Not to mention one of the most miserable people I've ever had to experience.

Archived