talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Driving Gripes

football forum

Here's a thread where you can have a rant about things that get on your wick when driving. And I'll happily get the ball rolling as the situation that follows winds me up something silly.

So today I'm driving down a duel carriageway and there are roadworks in lane 2 [the outside lane]. As expected the lane that the works are being carried out on is closed by the use of cones. 800 yards before you reach the cones is the first sign showing you that the lane ahead is closed with additional reminders at 600, 400 and 200 yards before the lane is no longer usable. If I am overtaking vehicles in lane 1 [inside lane] then I will continue in lane 2 until I reach the cones when I will merge into lane 1. What I notice is there is a lot of people who will immediately move over into lane 1 as soon as they see the first sign. If traffic is moving freely then this is not usually a problem, but if like in this instance the roadworks are being carried out by a crossing then what will happen is lane 1 starts backing up because of the stationery traffic ahead. I'm still in lane 2 so I will be happily passing all these vehicles until I have to stop, and then remain in lane 2 until I have got to the cones when I will attempt to merge into lane 1. There are a lot of drivers though that are taking exception to this [ let's call them fucking eejits], so these fucking eejits who are stationery in lane 1 will see me coming down lane 2 and purposefully pull out into my lane so that I cannot pass. There could be 200-400 yards left of traffic free road in my lane, but now I can't use it becasue the fucking eejit takes umbrage at the fact that I wasn't as stupid as they were in getting into lane 1 too early, and they now believe it is their responsibliity [nay, their right] to now block off my lane just to stop me and any other behind me from passing.

What the fnarg is that about? If you are one of these people then yes, you too are a fucking eejit. Not only have you helped create a bigger tailback in lane 1 than there should have been, you have now also started a congestion on lane 2. I can also guarantee that you will be the other type of fucking eejit who will then start bumping the cluth to ensure that you remain a gnat's cock away from the car in front so that the other car that wants to merge from 2 to 1 at the cones cannot get in.

Rant over, but please feel free to discuss. :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I have exactly the same gripe @Large! People don't drive properly when they cut in too early. The correct thing to do is as you state and to merge in when the lanes join. Then you get weird looks from them cos they think you left it late xD

My biggest gripe is people on their phones. The following thing happened on Friday on my way to Leicester...

Dual carriageway. Van on outside lane in line with a car to his left. 

Ambulance comes up and can be seen quite a distance away so everyone behind the van, including us, pull over to the left so the ambulance can go straight through. 

Well. Only if the van driver moves. Which it didn't. Doesn't even speed up to get in front of the car that was on its left (which has now by this time slowed down to let the van in). Get to traffic lights at the junction by which time the ambulance has made its way through, we pull up next to the van and lo and behold - the absolute imbecile is on his phone. 

Really fvcking grinds my gears seeing so much selfishness and ignorance by drivers in that situation, let alone just being on the phone anyway and being so unaware. 

And, finally (for now), is those who don't fucking indicate when turning! Again, find it quite selfish and shows lack of awareness for other drivers.

I think there is an issue with some cyclist's. Not all but we have a lot of cyclists in Britain and there are some really cluless ones that don't understand roundabouts ect. I think it should be taught in school personally. I know there is cycling proficiency but I think there should be more education on cycling

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think there is an issue with some cyclist's. Not all but we have a lot of cyclists in Britain and there are some really cluless ones that don't understand roundabouts ect. I think it should be taught in school personally. I know there is cycling proficiency but I think there should be more education on cycling

@Dan

• Administrator
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't know what you mean by that guess I will find out :D notice I didn't say all cyclist's I am a keen cyclist myself 

He utterly despises cyclists xD.

And they utterly despise him if Twitter is anything to go by...

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

He utterly despises cyclists xD.

And they utterly despise him if Twitter is anything to go by...

Ha ha. I think you have to be reasonable. If a cyclist's rides perfectly fine you don't notice it. Where as if they are bad you do. The worst seem to be deliveroo drivers. Putting young people under pressure to make deliveries is always gonna get bad results. I had one a few months ago who was cycling to the left of me. He put his right arm up to signal but swang infront of me all in one motion giving me no time to react. I beeped him and he swore at me. Didn't seem to know what he had done wrong

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ha ha. I think you have to be reasonable. If a cyclist's rides perfectly fine you don't notice it. Where as if they are bad you do. The worst seem to be deliveroo drivers. Putting young people under pressure to make deliveries is always gonna get bad results. I had one a few months ago who was cycling to the left of me. He put his right arm up to signal but swang infront of me all in one motion giving me no time to react. I beeped him and he swore at me. Didn't seem to know what he had done wrong

Yeah I've had a few occasions where they drift in towards the middle of the road needlessly and don't stick to the side of it, then when you beep at them or say something as you go by, they're the ones that get arsey.

Middle lane hogging is another thing that annoys me. A lot of the time it is older drivers. From what I have read when the motor ways were first built the BBC said the second lane was the fast lane. They were wrong it has only ever meant to be an overtaking lane. However a lot of older drivers still think it is a fast lane. 

Its not only older drivers though. A few years ago I was driving down the M32 which is a two lane motorway. This girl drove the whole way down it in the right lane. As I came of I beeped her. Her boyfriend was swearing at me abblivous to what she had done. 

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

All cyclists are twats so they are instantly up there. 

People who own fast cars and drive slow are another pain in the arse.

Bit of a generalisation to say all cyclist's are twats

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

99% are though so I'm not far wrong.

I don't think so mate. There are some very bad ones but alot of the time you don't notice when they are cycling perfectly fine

football forum
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't think so mate. There are some very bad ones but alot of the time you don't notice when they are cycling perfectly fine

Depends where you live I suppose, most around my parts are right bellends as there are many country roads. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

Depends where you live I suppose, most around my parts are right bellends as there are many country roads. 

Fair enough. Bristol is a keen cycling city. There are some really bad ones. You see them in the town centre jumping lights, without any lights at night, and generally being very dangerous. Its clear some don't know how the road systems work. But there are some very good ones as well. 

football forum
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Fair enough. Bristol is a keen cycling city. There are some really bad ones. You see them in the town centre jumping lights, without any lights at night, and generally being very dangerous. Its clear some don't know how the road systems work. But there are some very good ones as well. 

Yeah see I hardly ever drive in the city as the nearest one to me is 40 minutes away. The ones on country roads are a pain in the arse for not cycling close to the kerb, not riding in single file when they are in a group and generally just swerving around the place rather than cycling in a straight line. There's also the ones that take it way too seriously and cycle around in Team Sky licra which is just as bad as wearing a full kit in public IMO.

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah see I hardly ever drive in the city as the nearest one to me is 40 minutes away. The ones on country roads are a pain in the arse for not cycling close to the kerb, not riding in single file when they are in a group and generally just swerving around the place rather than cycling in a straight line. There's also the ones that take it way too seriously and cycle around in Team Sky licra which is just as bad as wearing a full kit in public IMO.

The ones that don't get over piss me of. I always cycle close to the kerbe. I had one a few years ago who I couldn't I overtake in a country lane. As I pulled of he swore at me. I was on the receiving end the other week though. I was turning right and had to be in a certain part of the lane. A driver didn't want to go around me and then blamed me for not getting over even though he had blocked me from doing it 

1 hour ago, Large said:

Here's a thread where you can have a rant about things that get on your wick when driving. And I'll happily get the ball rolling as the situation that follows winds me up something silly.

So today I'm driving down a duel carriageway and there are roadworks in lane 2 [the outside lane]. As expected the lane that the works are being carried out on is closed by the use of cones. 800 yards before you reach the cones is the first sign showing you that the lane ahead is closed with additional reminders at 600, 400 and 200 yards before the lane is no longer usable. If I am overtaking vehicles in lane 1 [inside lane] then I will continue in lane 2 until I reach the cones when I will merge into lane 1. What I notice is there is a lot of people who will immediately move over into lane 1 as soon as they see the first sign. If traffic is moving freely then this is not usually a problem, but if like in this instance the roadworks are being carried out by a crossing then what will happen is lane 1 starts backing up because of the stationery traffic ahead. I'm still in lane 2 so I will be happily passing all these vehicles until I have to stop, and then remain in lane 2 until I have got to the cones when I will attempt to merge into lane 1. There are a lot of drivers though that are taking exception to this [ let's call them fucking eejits], so these fucking eejits who are stationery in lane 1 will see me coming down lane 2 and purposefully pull out into my lane so that I cannot pass. There could be 200-400 yards left of traffic free road in my lane, but now I can't use it becasue the fucking eejit takes umbrage at the fact that I wasn't as stupid as they were in getting into lane 1 too early, and they now believe it is their responsibliity [nay, their right] to now block off my lane just to stop me and any other behind me from passing.

What the fnarg is that about? If you are one of these people then yes, you too are a fucking eejit. Not only have you helped create a bigger tailback in lane 1 than there should have been, you have now also started a congestion on lane 2. I can also guarantee that you will be the other type of fucking eejit who will then start bumping the cluth to ensure that you remain a gnat's cock away from the car in front so that the other car that wants to merge from 2 to 1 at the cones cannot get in.

Rant over, but please feel free to discuss. :D

I actually think you might be in the wrong there mate. It depends on the flows. If there is a steady flow in both lanes, numerous cars in your lane then slowly proceeding toward the end is acceptable. If however there is next to no one in lane 2 and lane 1 is standstill but you whizz to the end then indicate you are cheating everyone in the queue. It's bad manners. Doesn't matter if the lane was free, spreading everyone out wouldn't statistically make much difference to average drive time. 

42 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I actually think you might be in the wrong there mate. It depends on the flows. If there is a steady flow in both lanes, numerous cars in your lane then slowly proceeding toward the end is acceptable. If however there is next to no one in lane 2 and lane 1 is standstill but you whizz to the end then indicate you are cheating everyone in the queue. It's bad manners. Doesn't matter if the lane was free, spreading everyone out wouldn't statistically make much difference to average drive time. 

This is an extremely rare occurrence, but I completely disagree my furry yellow friend. There is nothing at all stopping a motorist using either lane. It’s not like a lane on a motorway that has the red cross above it which means it cannot be used at all. If somebody decides to make the wrong decision of adding to lane 1’s traffic too early then why should others have to be adversely affected? And these people can be like this even in moving traffic. And the hypocrisy gets me. They have the hump because they are of the opinion that the overtaking motorist is driving poorly or illegally, then drive badly themselves by intentionally impeding traffic for no other reason than they decide to. Like I said, fucking eejits.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Middle lane hogging is another thing that annoys me. A lot of the time it is older drivers. From what I have read when the motor ways were first built the BBC said the second lane was the fast lane. They were wrong it has only ever meant to be an overtaking lane. However a lot of older drivers still think it is a fast lane. 

Its not only older drivers though. A few years ago I was driving down the M32 which is a two lane motorway. This girl drove the whole way down it in the right lane. As I came of I beeped her. Her boyfriend was swearing at me abblivous to what she had done. 

That pisses me off too. Especially drivers who stick to lane 3 of a road because they are driving at the speed limit on that stretch of road but not overtaking anything. Get out of the bloody way, wombats.

4 minutes ago, Large said:

This is an extremely rare occurrence, but I completely disagree my furry yellow friend. There is nothing at all stopping a motorist using either lane. It’s not like a lane on a motorway that has the red cross above it which means it cannot be used at all. If somebody decides to make the wrong decision of adding to lane 1’s traffic too early then why should others have to be adversely affected? And these people can be like this even in moving traffic. And the hypocrisy gets me. They have the hump because they are of the opinion that the overtaking motorist is driving poorly or illegally, then drive badly themselves by intentionally impeding traffic for no other reason than they decide to. Like I said, fucking eejits.

There's nothing stopping you but manners aren't about enforced rules they are a courtesy to others. As you know people will block you off, that's their retaliation to what is perceived as disrespect from you. People aren't making logistical errors that they are bitterly regretting, they are following cultural protocol.

Then again in London that is not always the case. One thing prominent on London's roads are people never letting you in even when it's good manners to do so. London has this overwhelming every man for himself culture. When you find yourself on the road in that culture there's little choice other than to become part of the dog eat dog behaviour to survive. You've got to become a knacker or you'll get mugged off.

football forum
2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

There's nothing stopping you but manners aren't about enforced rules they are a courtesy to others. As you know people will block you off, that's their retaliation to what is perceived as disrespect from you. People aren't making logistical errors that they are bitterly regretting, they are following cultural protocol.

Then again in London that is not always the case. One thing prominent on London's roads are people never letting you in even when it's good manners to do so. London has this overwhelming every man for himself culture. When you find yourself on the road in that culture there's little choice other than to become part of the dog eat dog behaviour to survive. You've got to become a knacker or you'll get mugged off.

One of the many reasons why it's such an awful place, ironic how the arsehole of the country is the capital.

Archived