talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Driving Gripes

football forum

On 26/02/2019 at 00:27, Dr. Gonzo said:

My biggest problem with driving is that I fucking absolutely hate people, yet people keep driving while I’m driving. Stay off the road you degenerates

I get that mate. My issue is people keep taking my parking space. I haven't got the right permit to park where I live so I park in this space about ten minutes away where there is a break in the bays. The council haven't given it to me, it's a public space but in my head it's my space and cunts keep parking there 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I get that mate. My issue is people keep taking my parking space. I haven't got the right permit to park where I live so I park in this space about ten minutes away where there is a break in the bays. The council haven't given it to me, it's a public space but in my head it's my space and cunts keep parking there 

Get yourself some traffic cones to reserve it xD

16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Get yourself some traffic cones to reserve it xD

That is one of my top driving gripes when people do that. I think if someone does it legally you should be allowed to throw it through their window

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

If you’re one of those people who flash other drivers warning them of temporary speed camera’s, you’re a twat.

If you’re one of those people who moan and rant about getting caught speeding like it’s somehow their fault you broke the law that’s there to save people’s lives, then you’re scum.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

If you’re one of those people who flash other drivers warning them of temporary speed camera’s, you’re a twat.

If you’re one of those people who moan and rant about getting caught speeding like it’s somehow their fault you broke the law that’s there to save people’s lives, then you’re scum.

Speeding in residential areas, high pedestrian areas and school zones etc. is definitely irresponsible and dangerous, so I'm fully in support of punishing it. However, I don't see how warning other drivers of nonsensical hidden speed traps outside of those areas, and especially so on higwhays where speed limits are often set artificially low, makes anyone a twat. If we believe that the official reason for implementing speed traps is traffic safety (as opposed to "punishment" and collecting fines), then surely warning other drivers reaches the same goal as they will slow down, thus enforcing the speed limit and decreasing the risk of accidents? I'm not talking about extreme cases of those driving like twice over the speed limit by the way; just those who might be going 10-15kmh faster than allowed and aren't really a traffic safety issue.

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, nudge said:

Speeding in residential areas, high pedestrian areas and school zones etc. is definitely irresponsible and dangerous, so I'm fully in support of punishing it. However, I don't see how warning other drivers of nonsensical hidden speed traps outside of those areas, and especially so on higwhays where speed limits are often set artificially low, makes anyone a twat. If we believe that the official reason for implementing speed traps is traffic safety (as opposed to "punishment" and collecting fines), then surely warning other drivers reaches the same goal as they will slow down, thus enforcing the speed limit and decreasing the risk of accidents? I'm not talking about extreme cases of those driving like twice over the speed limit by the way; just those who might be going 10-15kmh faster than allowed and aren't really a traffic safety issue.

You make valid points, just my opinion though. I don’t agree with it, let people get caught, the police surely then understand how dangerous the area is and how many people speed and they will spend more time etc? I don’t know how it works to be honest. 

I was driving to pick my daughter up last week. I wasn’t speeding  but cars infront of me were. Everyone flashed like a mile in advance from oncoming cars. I got to the eventual mobile camera just at the bottom of my old street/the ex’s house. A day later when the camera has gone, a man has crashed into another car going too fast and  instantly  killed a woman :( Poor woman was on her way to a night shift at Airedale hospital. 

It was that bad a 3rd car got involved and he seriously injured 2 people there.

In my opinion, flashing people before they potentially get caught speeding is just false and stupid. The statistics will show that area is not as dangerous as it actually is. Because 100’s of people have slowed down when they’re speeding. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

You make valid points, just my opinion though. I don’t agree with it, let people get caught, the police surely then understand how dangerous the area is and how many people speed and they will spend more time etc? I don’t know how it works to be honest. 

I was driving to pick my daughter up last week. Flashed like a mile in advance from oncoming cars. I got to the eventual mobile camera just at the bottom of my old street/the ex’s house. A day later when the camera has gone, a man has crashed into another car going too fast and  instantly  killed a woman :( Poor woman was on her way to a night shift at Airedale hospital. 

It was that bad a 3rd car got involved and he serious injured 2 people there.

In my opinion, flashing people before they potentially get caught speeding is just false and stupid. The statistics will show that area is not as dangerous it actually is. Because 100’s of people have slowed down when they’re speeding. 

I think it's the over way around though - speed cameras and traps are usually supposed to be put before areas that are already known to be potentially dangerous (e.g. high number of previous accidents, bad road conditions, poor road design, bad visibility, etc), in order to get people to slow down and reduce the risk; it's not there for collecting data in order to decide which areas might be dangerous. So if someone is speeding, and somebody else warns them in advance and they reduce the speed, I'd say it's mission acomplished...  

Speed is just one factor in traffic safety anyway; poor driving/reckless driving is by far worse culprit than speed alone. Let's say you have a more or less straight, long clean stretch on the highway and almost everyone is going faster than the speed limit there, but there are also little to none accidents precisely because everyone is following the flow of traffic - why would it be considered dangerous then, and why'd you put a speed trap there (other than collect fines)? Makes no sense to me. 

16 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

I agree. I think if someone warns someone - and they slow down and avoid a fine, they haven't learnt anything from speeding and are just going to continue speeding after anyway. People trying to justify being able to speed on larger roads are either used to the autobahn perhaps ( ;) ) or part of the problem with society. There's no conspiracy against us all. Speed is a huge factor in accidents, particularly on country roads or highways. I don't care if the speed camera is on a road hidden in bushes with very little traffic around or if it's in a residential area - either way, the aim is to stop people from speeding, because it is simply DANGEROUS. There's literally no argument against it. It's like those people who deny climate change exists, okay, if it doesn't...what are we asking people to do? Look after the planet...surely that's the right thing to do. Same as going the fkn speed limit. It's the right, sensible, unselfish thing to do.

• Administrator

Went to the supermarket today. Not that busy. Parked up in a normal space. of which there were plenty.

Opposite me are some parent/child spaces.

Saw a woman rock up in her car and walk out. She was the only one in the car. Annoys me when people take up spaces which aren't theirs. Even worse when there's a disabled parking spot taken up - the other day I saw a man in a van park in one, quite clearly not disabled given it was one of those pick-up trucks with lots of construction equipment in there. 

On 12/12/2019 at 16:09, Gunnersauraus said:

I remember the days of public parking where I used to live. Long live driveways.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Toinho said:

I agree. I think if someone warns someone - and they slow down and avoid a fine, they haven't learnt anything from speeding and are just going to continue speeding after anyway. People trying to justify being able to speed on larger roads are either used to the autobahn perhaps ( ;) ) or part of the problem with society. There's no conspiracy against us all. Speed is a huge factor in accidents, particularly on country roads or highways. I don't care if the speed camera is on a road hidden in bushes with very little traffic around or if it's in a residential area - either way, the aim is to stop people from speeding, because it is simply DANGEROUS. There's literally no argument against it. It's like those people who deny climate change exists, okay, if it doesn't...what are we asking people to do? Look after the planet...surely that's the right thing to do. Same as going the fkn speed limit. It's the right, sensible, unselfish thing to do.

The part in bold is questionable; most studies done on the subject suggest that speeding tickets is not an effective deterrent of future behaviour. 

In all honesty, I have nothing against speed limits most of the time - in fact, I don't even have a single ticket for speeding myself. What I do hate though are sneaky cunts in uniforms hiding in the bushes 2 meters after a new sign that changed from 70 to 50 overnight with no reason and ticketing every average Joe who is maybe 10kmh max over the new limit. That's got nothing to do with road safety, that's just money making, so if I see it, I will warn others just out of principle because I don't think that's the right way to go about it. 

Also, there actually IS an argument against speed limits being set too low against engineering guidelines from observing free-flow traffic, which is sadly quite a common practice. Just because it's a law doesn't mean it isn't flawed... Realistic speed limits are great and they are obeyed by the majority of drivers anyway. But there are certainly cases of roads where speed limits have been reduced artificially without reason despite having low collision rate and it now leads to unnecessary traffic jams, congestions, and prolonged travel times while not making it any safer. Quite on a contrary, actually, as  setting speed limits too low increases accident potential due to the greater speed differential and increased lane change rates. It's just counterintuitive. 

Also, Autobahn is a gift from the gods and I'm also part of the problem with society.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also, there actually IS an argument against speed limits being set too low against engineering guidelines from observing free-flow traffic, which is sadly quite a common practice. Just because it's a law doesn't mean it isn't flawed... Realistic speed limits are great and they are obeyed by the majority of drivers anyway.

I agree some areas are too slow you do feel that at times.

I don’t know whether it’s a UK thing or a Northern thing or what but I feel like a hell of a lot of drivers I come into contact with do not obey speed limits in general.

It’s impacted me personally that’s why I feel strongly about it I suppose. My best friends Dad died last year because someone was speeding in a 30. He was walking his dog crossing a road, he got hit with this scumbag flying round the corner and he died. Not a chance he would have died if he was hit at 30 or below.

And I do see a lot of people on social media posting stuff about speed cameras and being caught like it’s not their fault. I’m not even necessarily just talking about temporary ones either. The type of people I see say this stuff are the type of people who risk lives and think it’s okay. 

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

I agree some areas are too slow you do feel that at times.

I don’t know whether it’s a UK thing or a Northern thing or what but I feel like a hell of a lot of drivers I come into contact with do not obey these limits.

It’s impacted me personally that’s why I feel strongly about it I suppose. My best friends Dad died last year because someone was speeding in a 30. He was walking his dog and got ran over and died. Not a chance he would have died if he was hit at 30 or below.

And I do see a lot of people on social media posting stuff about speed cameras and being caught like it’s not their fault. I’m not even necessarily just talking about temporary ones either. The type of people I see say this stuff are the type of people who risk lives and think it’s okay. 

Yeah, as I said in my first post, I'm in full support of heavily punishing speeding in residential, high pedestrian areas or near schools etc., there's really no justification for that. Low speed limits in those areas make sense as they actually save lives, so that's a no brainer. My point was that a speed limit is not always sensible or required, and if in those cases it is used simply to fine people (especially when hidden) as opposed to actually making the road safer, then I definitely have an issue with that - and don't see anything wrong with warning others about it. I also agree that people not owning up to their mistakes are annoying in any context, but then again, it also depends on circumstances. Like there's a huge difference between someone being 3kmh over the limit and someone maliciously speeding; a few kmh used to be within tolerance in the past, but at least here they are implementing cameras that have zero tolerance threshold, which is bullshit alone from the technical point of view, considering that every car speedometer has a margin of error...

Sorry about your friend's Dad... a friend of mine died many years ago because some drunk cunt crashed into him while driving against the traffic on a highway. Some people are just trash.

These two types annoy me.

When the lanes merge into one on the motorway, you always get those cocky fucks who continue to zip down the right lane just for the sake of a couple extra spaces in front, assuming someone will just let them in. Just merge properly like we all have to.

And then there's those one's that get in the wrong lane on purpose because there's less of a queue in front, then decide to indicate and squeeze in to the correct lane just to bunny hop the traffic.

Cunts. Absolute cunts.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

These two types annoy me.

When the lanes merge into one on the motorway, you always get those cocky fucks who continue to zip down the right lane just for the sake of a couple extra spaces in front, assuming someone will just let them in. Just merge properly like we all have to.

And then there's those one's that get in the wrong lane on purpose because there's less of a queue in front, then decide to indicate and squeeze in to the correct lane just to bunny hop the traffic.

Cunts. Absolute cunts.

Hate when this happens when there's roadworks. When there's signs well in advance to get in to one lane, and there's cones with lights coming up so easy to see it's narrowing, you get some berks leaving it til last minute and cutting you up. 

• Subscriber

Aye that’s one of the worst @Lucas those who cut in from the right. There’s a place that’s a nightmare for it that i drive in regularly. A place near Boundary Mill in Colne. I purposely stay close to the car infront of me if I’m in the left lane and don’t let the cunts cut infront of me. Someone tried it before but I sped up and closed the gap Infront of me and left him looking like the cunt he was.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

You're a mug and a danger to other road users when you do this @JoshBRFC :readthemessage:

:x

Haha you're not wrong! I can't lie though :$.

Last time I was late to be somewhere but I only got like 15 seconds from my home and pulled over. xD

I live near the base of Mt Keira, in Wollongong, Australias 9th largest city. About an hour to the north is Sydney, by far Australias largest city. The M1 motorway that connects us, the princes motorway/mt Ousley rd is a 3 lane per direction motorway that snakes up and through a mountain range. Steep ups and downs, sweeping bends, no inside shoulder, narrow lanes. Speed limit of 80 or 100 depending on where exactly you are. Always very very busy. 

Let me break down each lane for you in the steepest up mountain section. 
Left lane (remember we do it opposite to England) is for busses and trucks, they do about 40kms an hour. 
Middle lane. A nightmare. Any busses and trucks that want to go faster than 40 are here, overtaking and hoping in and out of the far left lane. They're all doing 60kms an hour, but the speed limit going up the mountain is 80, but that's okay, because you can just hop into the overtaking lane right? 
WRONG CUNT! The overtaking lane is being used by the regular commuters of this road who have no fear of death. They're all doing 100-120 (no exaggeration) and when the speed limit hits 100 at the top they'll be doing 140. 

Was a spooky experience the first few times I had to ride up to Sydney. You get used to it though. 

On 21/01/2021 at 16:38, nudge said:

Also, Autobahn is a gift from the gods and I'm also part of the problem with society.

I really want to drive on the autobahn. The speed limits on UK motorways make me sad.

Archived