talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 Feeder Series (F3 and Below)

football forum

• Subscriber

The Formula 3 season is now officially over. Here are the final standings:

EFo2NflXoAAfqBd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Vips won the race today but yesterday's mistake means he missed out on being third overall. I hope Red Bull get him a seat in F2 next season instead of putting him in the Superformula... Although considering that they are already putting Tsunoda into F2 next season I'm not sure they'll probably send Vips to Japan which is a pity.

Schwartzman should be set for F2; Armstrong maybe as well. 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/09/2019 at 13:47, nudge said:

The Formula 3 season is now officially over. Here are the final standings:

EFo2NflXoAAfqBd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Vips won the race today but yesterday's mistake means he missed out on being third overall. I hope Red Bull get him a seat in F2 next season instead of putting him in the Superformula... Although considering that they are already putting Tsunoda into F2 next season I'm not sure they'll probably send Vips to Japan which is a pity.

Schwartzman should be set for F2; Armstrong maybe as well. 

This is pretty amazing isn't it? I mean Robert is 20 and likely going into F2, Lando Norris is 19 and already in F1. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

This is pretty amazing isn't it? I mean Robert is 20 and likely going into F2, Lando Norris is 19 and already in F1. 

Max Verstappen is only 22 and has been in F1 for, what feels like, decades xD

Just now, Tommy said:

Max Verstappen is only 22 and has been around for, what feels like, decades xD

Exactly. These kids are so young when getting into this sport. I can imagine that Robert feels like he's behind since he's 20 and in F3. 

Just now, Eco said:

Exactly. These kids are so young when getting into this sport. I can imagine that Robert feels like he's behind since he's 20 and in F3. 

I really doubt it. The F2 winner de Vries is like what? 24? Some move through the ranks pretty quickly, and others take some time due to different circumstances. Some had to sit out a season or so due to financial reasons, others are just slower learners or started their racing career relatively late. Damon Hill was 32 when he made his F1 debut and still won a World Championship. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I really doubt it. The F2 winner de Vries is like what? 24? Some move through the ranks pretty quickly, and others take some time due to different circumstances. Some had to sit out a season or so due to financial reasons, others are just slower learners or started their racing career relatively late. Damon Hill was 32 when he made his F1 debut and still won a World Championship. 

Is he? God he looks like a 17 year old. 

Is it certain he'll move up to F1 this upcoming year? 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Lando is a very exceptional case though. I believe he's the youngest world karting champion ever and also the youngest F3 Champion ever. Max is a generational talent who went straight to F1 from F3. I don't think it's fair to compare others to that. It also often depends simply on being able to get a seat - you actually have to pay for the seats at junior formula so it's hard for many to make it even with the talent.

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nope, he'll drive for Mercedes in Formula E alongside Stoffel Vandoorne. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

No chance. He's joining Mercedes Formula E team next season. 

I like him but he's nowhere near being good enough for F1.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Lando is a very exceptional case though. I believe he's the youngest world karting champion ever and also the youngest F3 Champion ever. Max is a generational talent who went straight to F1 from F3. I don't think it's fair to compare others to that. It also often depends simply on being able to get a seat - you actually have to pay for the seats at junior formula so it's hard for many to make it even with the talent.

Yeah - I know I've heard the same mentioned about Max. 

Just now, Tommy said:

Nope, he'll drive for Mercedes in Formula E alongside Stoffel Vandoorne. 

Really? I wonder why someone like Williams doesn't take a go on him? 

Just now, nudge said:

No chance. He's joining Mercedes Formula E team next season. 

I like him but his nowhere near being good enough for F1.

Hm...I guess knowing he's not good enough is through years of watching, because when I watched the 2 or so F2 races, he was flying. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Really? I wonder why someone like Williams doesn't take a go on him? 

Williams will most likely go with Nicholas Latifi, who like Stroll, is Canadian, and also the son of a billionaire businessman. And Williams need the dough. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

Hm...I guess knowing he's not good enough is through years of watching, because when I watched the 2 or so F2 races, he was flying. 

He used to be a McLaren junior but they ended it earlier this year as well.

De Vries has been in Formula 2 like forever; it took him three years to finally be able to take that title - partly due to the combination of his experience and a pretty weak field this season. His tyre management is notoriously poor. He lacks consistency. He is a decent driver but hasn't proven to be F1 material at any point of his career. Regardless he still has a good future ahead of him. Formula E with Mercedes; WEC with Racing Team Nederland. He also has some Audi links. I'm sure he'll have enough options.

Just now, nudge said:

He used to be a McLaren junior but they ended it earlier this year as well.

De Vries has been in Formula 2 like forever; it took him three years to finally be able to take that title - partly due to the combination of his experience and a pretty weak field this season. His tyre management is notoriously poor. He lacks consistency. He is a decent driver but hasn't proven to be F1 material at any point of his career. Regardless he still has a good future ahead of him. Formula E with Mercedes; WEC with Racing Team Nederland. He also has some Audi links. I'm sure he'll have enough options.

Who are the next up and and coming talents that I should start to watch? 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Williams will most likely go with Nicholas Latifi, who like Stroll, is Canadian, and also the son of a billionaire businessman. And Williams need the dough. 

Interestingly enough Latifi Senior is also one of McLaren shareholders...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Interestingly enough Latifi Senior is also one of McLaren shareholders...

Meanwhile all Hülkenberg has to offer is a cute dog and a hot girlfriend. Maybe it'll be enough for a seat? :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Who are the next up and and coming talents that I should start to watch? 

Really hard to tell; success in junior formula doesn't necessary translate into success in F1 and it's also a bit impossible to predict how the drivers develop - some are impressive at the start in lower classes but fail to make the step up; some are late-bloomers and start showing sudden rapid development once they figure things out and then everything just clicks.

F2 - real lack of exceptional talent this year. Mick Schumacher is worth keeping an eye on as he'll make it to F1 one way or the other. He's fast, has got good racecraft and shows glimpses of real talent at times - next year will make it easier to judge him as he'll have a full season behind him and hopefully not as many technical problems with the car. Guanyu Zhou - wasn't very impressive in F3 for three years he spent there but did surprisingly well in F2 as a rookie, if he keeps it up and fights for the title next year then I'd trust him to make it to F1 as well. 

F3 - Schwartzman is the obvious choice; did great in his rookie season last time and won the title this year. He has the pace but also look unusually consistent and mature for his age. Judging Prema drivers is a bit tricky though due to them being by far the best and the most dominant team in the series. Jüri Vips - the most interesting young driver for me; very fast and can defend well but struggles with overtaking at times ending in him being stuck in the midfield after a poor start/qualifying. Tsunoda is another interesting one; Japanese F4 Champion last year. He hasn't had many chances to showcase his talent properly in F3 this season due to being in a poor car but his racecraft and pace are amazing and he's a great overtaker meaning he's climbing from the back of the grid in almost every race. Needs to sort out his qualifying and he'll be the one to beat. Liam Lawson - another very exciting one; still a bit of a raw talent but could well be a star in the making. Lundgaard and Armstrong are other two that might be worth keeping an eye on.

Lower/other series - a few that could be good but it's extremely hard to say at this level and I also don't watch much of it. Fittipaldi, Vesti, David Schumacher, Dennis Hauger, Paul Aron, Theo Pourchaire, Oscar Piastri come to mind. 

Not in the official F1 feeder series - Colton Herta. Has taken IndyCar by storm and I expect him to be challenging for the title next season. Also did well in European junior series before that. Him making it into F1 is extremely unlikely but he's definitely an interesting driver to watch.

Probably missed a few others as well but those from the top of my head...

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

F3 - Schwartzman is the obvious choice; did great in his rookie season last time and won the title this year. He has the pace but also look unusually consistent and mature for his age. Judging Prema drivers is a bit tricky though due to them being by far the best and the most dominant team in the series. Jüri Vips - the most interesting young driver for me; very fast and can defend well but struggles with overtaking at times ending in him being stuck in the midfield after a poor start/qualifying. Tsunoda is another interesting one; Japanese F4 Champion last year. He hasn't had many chances to showcase his talent properly in F3 this season due to being in a poor car but his racecraft and pace are amazing and he's a great overtaker meaning he's climbing from the back of the grid in almost every race. Needs to sort out his qualifying and he'll be the one to beat. Liam Lawson - another very exciting one; still a bit of a raw talent but could well be a star in the making. Lundgaard and Armstrong are other two that might be worth keeping an eye on.

I know Kyvat, but are there typically Russians in F1? 

Putin lives the dream man. Rides bears, plays hockey with the Russian NT, and drives F1 cars. xD

In terms on nationalities, I feel like it's mostly German, English, French, and Italian (Historically). Surprisingly there seems to be a lot of Scandinavians as well. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I know Kyvat, but are there typically Russians in F1? 

Petrov and Sirotkin are the other two that drove in F1. So no; definitely not typical to have a Russian driver.

SMP Racing does a great job giving Russian drivers a chance but they are mostly active in sportscar/touring car racing.

Nikita Mazepin drives for ART in F2. Isaakyan also currently got a call up to F2 to replace injured Correa at Sauber Junior Team. Markelov has spent years in F2 too.

15 minutes ago, Eco said:

Putin lives the dream man. Rides bears, plays hockey with the Russian NT, and drives F1 cars. xD

In terms on nationalities, I feel like it's mostly German, English, French, and Italian (Historically). Surprisingly there seems to be a lot of Scandinavians as well. 

Hmm, Swedes and the occasional Dane?

Brazilians have a long history in F1 as well. 

Found some grahpics:

driver_nationality.png?resize=768,565&ss

nat_time_series.png?w=665&ssl=1

championships_by_nation.png?resize=768,5

Source

26 minutes ago, nudge said:

Petrov

He was quite decent! I remember when he kept Alonso behind him in Abu Dhabi (or was it Brazil?) which lead to Seb winning the title. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

He was quite decent! I remember when he kept Alonso behind him in Abu Dhabi (or was it Brazil?) which lead to Seb winning the title. 

Decent but too crash-prone for my liking... 

• The title was changed to F1 Feeder Series (F3 and Below)

Archived