• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nottm Forest to Redevelop City Ground

football forum

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I always thought they were capped, similarly to how we were at Filbert Street because of the houses nearby and the fact the height of the stands would block light. We made a laughable error years ago spending a few million building our main stand only to find out we couldn't expand the others for this reason, so just went with a totally new one.

You can see it at Forest as well with the Bridgford End. It's like one and a half stands. Pretty unique.

Getting a bit ahead of themselves though. No top flight fall kicked in 20 years.

One of the best locations to have a Football Stadium for sure. Love the fact it's right on the River Trent.

River_Trent_and_City_Ground_-_geograph_org.uk_-_568723.thumb.jpg.a06b3c6e5b64534dde8c3d75cd51a6bb.jpg

Bramall Lane and Molineux are two great example's of ground's that's have been getting redeveloped whilst keeping it's traditional feel, so for me it's a great way to go.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Seems a bit pointless no?

How so?

Ground will hold nearly 10k more. They will have a brand new stand with more executive boxes to generate revenue as well as seriously upgrading current facilities and having a museum on site. Not to mention a bigger club shop.

Not to mention improving two other stands by upgrading facilities. The key thing here is that they are accommodating basic requirements that they aren't necessarily meeting currently like bigger space for wheelchair access and stuff like that.

They should generate more revenue from the changes too which will even itself out long term.

Don't think it's pointless at all to be fair. Just necessary changes to keep their ground current.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

How so?

Ground will hold nearly 10k more. They will have a brand new stand with more executive boxes to generate revenue as well as seriously upgrading current facilities and having a museum on site. Not to mention a bigger club shop.

Not to mention improving two other stands by upgrading facilities. The key thing here is that they are accommodating basic requirements that they aren't necessarily meeting currently like bigger space for wheelchair access and stuff like that.

They should generate more revenue from the changes too which will even itself out long term.

Don't think it's pointless at all to be fair. Just necessary changes to keep their ground current.

Good to have facilities improving but the ground holding nearly 10k more may just lead to more empty seats on show. Can imagine you'd see many times how Sunderland's ground looks in League One - one tier empty.

They barely sell out as it is (maybe only for Derby games) and they may be planning for the future for whenever they do get promoted. It seems a bit ambitious though. 

If Forest get things right they could easily be a long-term Premiership club. Leicester had very similar attendances in the Championship, it's not as if Nottingham Forest have remarkably poor ones. 40k does seem a big push without promotion though and I'm worried it might spoil how it looks.

17 hours ago, Lucas said:

How so?

Fair play that makes sense

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If Forest get things right they could easily be a long-term Premiership club. Leicester had very similar attendances in the Championship, it's not as if Nottingham Forest have remarkably poor ones. 40k does seem a big push without promotion though and I'm worried it might spoil how it looks.

They've been out of the Premier League for nearly 20 years, average 7-10k less than their capacity at the moment and somehow think they're going to fill 10k more than current capacity. 

At the moment, I'd say it seems illogical. Unless they get promotion in the next couple seasons by which time the ground would be ready, then it could be an inspired decision. But it's a huge risk to take considering they've not even reached the play-offs recently, and closest they probably came to it was 2013 when we pipped them on the final day of the season. 

The details of the development side (outwith the stadium) are probably the biggest financial benefit in the short term for them.

More and more you see these stadium plans where the actual stadium is only a part of it. Gives a base of public support to have them quickly put through any planing because of it.

I’m fairness when new stadiums or stands are built, they naturally attract more supporters. It’s part of the reason clubs build new stadiums altogether. So I think their attendance will rise a bit.

But they might be similar size to Leicester but Leicester have the power of global recognition after their title win. They should realistically looking to be exploiting that across Asia and America to build up exposure/marketing. If they upgrade their stadium as well, Leicester could be stepping into that group of clubs like Everton, Spurs to a much lesser degree, and Villa/Newcastle of past years where they are consistent top half finishers and maybe even push on for bigger things where other clubs can’t.

• Subscriber

Leicester are expanding our ground to 42,000 and building a top class training facility in the next few years. Unsure when the expansion will happen though but I think without the tragedy we might've heard a bit more.

I personally think we should expand. While I think Forest are getting slightly ahead of themselves I do kind of get it too. Leeds do it right. When they aren't getting the crowds they just close the top tier of their biggest stand so that the fans are still relatively compact.

We had loads of comments when we moved into this ground about not being able to get the fans and even pre-title win there were queues for season tickets. The buzz has gone down somewhat but I don't think it's irrecoverable.

We also need to get our arses in gear before clubs like Wolves and Forest take advantage as well. This is probably the biggest we've been as a club in our history.

Archived