talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Watches

football forum

• Subscriber

Not sure if this is the correct place for this topic, but here goes.

As part of a promotional deal with EE and my new Huawei P20 Pro phone, i'm getting a smart watch for free. Which will be my first Smart watch.

8687607_R_Z001A?$Web$&$DefaultPDP570$

Anyone got one of these? Or any Smart Watch?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought the Apple Watch Series 3 a year ago and absolutely hated it. 

So I sold it. 

Now I have the Garmin Instinct, which is their military grade 'smart' watch, which has a battery life lasting over 6 days (2 with GPS), and all the stats and notifications the Apple watch had. 

I love it, although the watch you're getting looks close to the Samsung Gear, which would have been my other choice. 

• Subscriber

I personally don't have any use for a smart watch but that Huawei one at least looks decent. The majority of them are not very aesthetically pleasing (to put it mildly) in my opinion... And I also don't like the idea of having to charge my watch either.

I've got the Samsung Galaxy watch (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Watch-46mm-Version-Silver/dp/B07GBJP82N) and I love it.

The step counting and fitness tracking is way better than FitBit, which is confusing because that's their primary focus.

I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do as you get used to the convenience of having everything easily accessible on your wrist. Such as skipping songs, seeing WhatsApp messages etc

• Subscriber

I have the Casio WSD and its a good watch albeit it dies a bit too fast and the watch that @Eco has comes from a company that knows its stuff when it comes to long lasting smart watches. That Huawei you showed is actually quite nice looking. Thinking of going in for a Garmin later in the year around Xmas I have had mine for a while now and its time to move on. I even contemplated leaving the smart watch space and just going back to old-school Casio maybe the new Rangeman for daily wear. 

3 hours ago, Rab said:

I've got the Samsung Galaxy watch (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Watch-46mm-Version-Silver/dp/B07GBJP82N) and I love it.

The step counting and fitness tracking is way better than FitBit, which is confusing because that's their primary focus.

I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do as you get used to the convenience of having everything easily accessible on your wrist. Such as skipping songs, seeing WhatsApp messages etc

Yeah - I almost went with that same watch, but I needed something is a reliable GPS and long battery life while doing so, and I like the rugged look for the Garmin Instinct is right up my ally. The Garmin is also unique for as it's certainly a smart watch, the reason it's battery life is so long is because it's not an LED, touch screen, but instead old school black/white interface, but I still get all the messages, notifications, tracking, that I got with my Apple Watch. 

cf-lg-18a7a0af-8bbf-4bba-9468-e4969090e9

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I almost went with that same watch, but I needed something is a reliable GPS and long battery life while doing so, and I like the rugged look for the Garmin Instinct is right up my ally. The Garmin is also unique for as it's certainly a smart watch, the reason it's battery life is so long is because it's not an LED, touch screen, but instead old school black/white interface, but I still get all the messages, notifications, tracking, that I got with my Apple Watch. 

cf-lg-18a7a0af-8bbf-4bba-9468-e4969090e9

How long have you had it? At one point I was very keen on a Fenix but I dropped it as it had way too much going that I was never going to use.

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

How long have you had it? At one point I was very keen on a Fenix but I dropped it as it had way too much going that I was never going to use.

6 months now. 

I love it, but I also hike, run for 5+ hours at a time, and enjoy being outdoors. There are numerous videos showing testers trying to break it, and all unsuccessful. It's not as business savvy looking as some may want, but I'm a cyber security engineer so I don't need any of that. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

6 months now. 

I love it, but I also hike, run for 5+ hours at a time, and enjoy being outdoors. There are numerous videos showing testers trying to break it, and all unsuccessful. It's not as business savvy looking as some may want, but I'm a cyber security engineer so I don't need any of that. 

Yeah that thing is built like a tank and the best part, as you mentioned, is its battery life. More often than not, a smart watch dies because of its insane amount of connectivity back to the base device and that takes a lot of power out of its limited cell. I trek four times a year and dive once a year which is why i got the watch I did in the first place but when I look back on it now I really only need the GPS functionality and I think the new Rangeman is perfect for what I do. The old one is nice too just doesn't have any GPS functionality which is something I never thought I'd need.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Yeah that thing is built like a tank and the best part, as you mentioned, is its battery life. More often than not, a smart watch dies because of its insane amount of connectivity back to the base device and that takes a lot of power out of its limited cell. I trek four times a year and dive once a year which is why i got the watch I did in the first place but when I look back on it now I really only need the GPS functionality and I think the new Rangeman is perfect for what I do. The old one is nice too just doesn't have any GPS functionality which is something I never thought I'd need.

The Instinct has Dive specific features to (from what I'm told, never been diving myself). 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

The Instinct has Dive specific features to (from what I'm told, never been diving myself). 

Thanks I'll give it a look into. Rather have one watch that does a lot of what I want to do versus having to find watches that do specific things. 

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

Just received a Series 3 Apple Watch and it's decent. Never had a smart watch so it's a novelty of sorts. Fed up however of the bloody thing telling me to stand up more.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the appeal of smart watches? 

I've seen a couple of mates wearing and it just looks like a novelty thing rather than a must have item. 

It isn't a must-have item imo. I use it for running and cycling but otherwise it really is just a timepiece and one that needs charging. If I wanted just a timepiece id go get a regular watch which would outlast the smartwatch by years forget days. The only other time I truly like my smart-watch is when I sign into services that send notifications for authentication with codes on them and they show up right on the watch while the phone is sitting away from my table so that's another nice feature.

Ngl when I see people with these I think they're big dorks even if it's for work purposes :P I could never wear one as I feel the constant distraction would be too much for me. Need to disconnect from the world every now and then. Sure you can say "just take it off" but every gadget is addicting in some degree and if you paid decent money you're going to wear it.

A real, good watch can last for decades and looks nicer. The smartwatch will be in a drawer or thrown away in a couple of years or less.

I'm not saying they aren't useful, specifically for running/cycling, but for daily use, big no for me.

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2020 at 10:46, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the appeal of smart watches? 

I've seen a couple of mates wear them at times and it just looks like a novelty thing rather than a must have item. 

Well mine (still have the Garmin Instinct), it's nice to have a watch that lasts as long as this does, has the look and feel that I like, and it works whether I'm working OR if I go for one of my long runs. 

My wife attempted to get me on the fitbit so that we could compete in steps, but I just love my watch and couldn't imagine wearing anything else. I maybe charge it for 30 minutes twice a month, and then it's good, but it doesn't have a lot of the 'fancy' features like skipping songs playing music, but I can load up trail maps and not be worried that if I drop it on a rock that it'll break. 

• The title was changed to Watches

I've gotten to the point where the constantly connectivity is driving me nuts, so I think I'm going to only reserve my Coros Space Vertix watch for hikes and running. 

Been looking at this gem, although the price tag is a bit high. 

The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional (it's the watch they give astronauts). 

img-SPMoonwatchCal3861-vueC-medium_1.jpg

Although their 'Dark Side of the Moon' Collection is sexy and uses leather. 

sp_moonwatch_dsotm_overview_960x720_2.jp

pushPP-SP-DSotM-Alinghi-large.jpg

sp_moonwatch_gsotm_meteorite_overview_1_

sp_moonwatch_gsotm_overview_960x720_2.jp

sp_moonwatch_wsotm_overview_960x720_2.jp

248451369_ScreenShot2021-08-11at8_46_44AM.thumb.png.8183ef5a18ca59698e18b0235f60b167.png

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

I've gotten to the point where the constantly connectivity is driving me nuts, so I think I'm going to only reserve my Coros Space Vertix watch for hikes and running. 

Been looking at this gem, although the price tag is a bit high. 

The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional (it's the watch they give astronauts). 

img-SPMoonwatchCal3861-vueC-medium_1.jpg

Although their 'Dark Side of the Moon' Collection is sexy and uses leather. 

sp_moonwatch_dsotm_overview_960x720_2.jp

pushPP-SP-DSotM-Alinghi-large.jpg

sp_moonwatch_gsotm_meteorite_overview_1_

sp_moonwatch_gsotm_overview_960x720_2.jp

sp_moonwatch_wsotm_overview_960x720_2.jp

248451369_ScreenShot2021-08-11at8_46_44AM.thumb.png.8183ef5a18ca59698e18b0235f60b167.png

This is the Way.

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

The non-smart watch? Or one of the difference version of this particular watch? 

You think Metal or Leather band is a classier look? 

Non-smart watch.

I LOVE proper traditional watches 😅 Especially the pilot/aviator ones.

Both metal and leather band is fine, it depends on the overall look - I personally prefer to wear leather ones, but the metal bands are by far easier to clean and maintain, especially in humid climate. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Non-smart watch.

I LOVE proper traditional watches 😅 Especially the pilot/aviator ones.

Both metal and leather band is fine, it depends on the overall look - I personally prefer to wear leather ones, but the metal bands are by far easier to clean and maintain, especially in humid climate. 

Yeah - these watches are $5k+, whereas you can get a Citizen Eco Drive for around $500. 

Plus, Citizen makes some great watches. 

They even has a 'Rebel Pilot' old style watch.😃

Rebel%20Pilot.png?u=41zuoe&crop=false&po

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - these watches are $5k+, whereas you can get a Citizen Eco Drive for around $500. 

Plus, Citizen makes some great watches. 

They even has a 'Rebel Pilot' old style watch.😃

Rebel%20Pilot.png?u=41zuoe&crop=false&po

Plenty of good, affordable watches out there. Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Hamilton, Junghans, Stowa, Glycine, Longines - plenty of choices under 500-1000, good quality, a lot of different models to choose from, and will last you for decades.

Haha I've seen that Citizen Star Wars watch before xD Tacky, but cool.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Plenty of good, affordable watches out there. Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Hamilton, Junghans, Stowa, Glycine, Longines - plenty of choices under 500-1000, good quality, a lot of different models to choose from, and will last you for decades.

Haha I've seen that Citizen Star Wars watch before xD Tacky, but cool.

Yeah - that's usually the case with Speciality watches, they almost overdue it and thus it looks tacky,....but SW fans are about as crazy as they come so they'll buy it just because. 

My favorite is certainly the Omega, but I'd rather not spend $5k on a watch, so I'll probably go with the Citizen, as I just think they look class. 

I'll keep looking around, though. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - that's usually the case with Speciality watches, they almost overdue it and thus it looks tacky,....but SW fans are about as crazy as they come so they'll buy it just because. 

My favorite is certainly the Omega, but I'd rather not spend $5k on a watch, so I'll probably go with the Citizen, as I just think they look class. 

I'll keep looking around, though. 

Ha, my favourite brand is Breitling and I have an old Navitimer as a family heirloom, but personally, I wouldn't buy a watch for more than 500€ for myself. 

Citizen makes nice watches for sure. Do you like busy watch dials or prefer a cleaner, simpler look? 

Archived