talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Watches

football forum

• Subscriber
On 12/08/2021 at 19:03, nudge said:

I think it's pretty simple - a watch is an accessory which also performs a very specific function, and there are people who "get" watches and there are those who don't; fair enough. For me, it's a convenient way to be able to tell the time without having to rely on a smartphone or any other gadget, and it's also a stylish, classy accessory that can add a lot to your outfit. On top of that, I also admire the craftsmanship that goes into watchmaking, and I love having a piece of a mechanical "wonder" on my wrist. When I was a kid, I used to take watches apart, learn their inner workings and put them back together. It's fascinating... 😅

Any pics?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, MUFC said:

Not really into watches. But are Rolex watches what they're made out to be? Are they the holy grail of watches?

Perhaps not the holy grail, but they are high quality, reliable, accurate, well-crafted watches that suffer from the fact that the brand is seen as a symbol of status & wealth by many. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Perhaps not the holy grail, but they are high quality, reliable, accurate, well-crafted watches that suffer from the fact that the brand is seen as a symbol of status & wealth by many. 

I've read that Rolex is a non-profit company, is this true? I know some people who were buying certain ones for around £4000 and selling them on a year later for between £10,000-£15,000. 

The 2 Rolex shops near me. One if the Trafford Center and the other is in Manchester town center. They don't sell certain watches to just anybody, this hacks many people off lol.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, MUFC said:

I've read that Rolex is a non-profit company, is this true? I know some people who were buying certain ones for around £4000 and selling them on a year later for between £10,000-£15,000. 

The 2 Rolex shops near me. One if the Trafford Center and the other is in Manchester town center. They don't sell certain watches to just anybody, this hacks many people off lol.

Rolex is a for-profit company owned by a non-profit trust. They do spend a lot on charities and stuff.

And yes, their resale value is high, especially for the "classic" models like the Submariner or Daytona.

• Subscriber

I pondered a lot before I decided it was finally time to pull the trigger on the watch I wanted. It's a debate between a Seamaster or an Oris and I think I may end up ordering this. As much as I love what Omega are doing with their new watches I think this suits me more in terms of what it offers and the look. 

image.png

• Subscriber
On 26/11/2021 at 11:53, MUFC said:

Not really into watches. But are Rolex watches what they're made out to be? Are they the holy grail of watches?

You see Rolex has a very interesting marketing style, they limit the number of watches they make. For e.g. you can't get specific Daytona series watches anymore and the same with Sub-Mariners. This creates a very interesting space not in the first-buyer space but in the seconds space. This then drives watch prices up and as a result you get a more niche product that can't be found.

Contrast that with someone like Omega who imo have surpassed Rolex when it comes to watch-tech under the face and they call it Limited but its really available whenever you want it without going seconds unless you want something ultra-specific and even then you get willing sellers. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

You see Rolex has a very interesting marketing style, they limit the number of watches they make.

I would imagine that does make certain Rolex watchs a collectors item in years to come, I say that as we watch shows (me and the wife) like Deal or No Deal as people are putting certain things up for auction, I noticed many a time that a certain Rolex watch can be valued more than others (depending on the condition of the watch) by when it was made. 

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I would imagine that does make certain Rolex watchs a collectors item in years to come, I say that as we watch shows (me and the wife) like Deal or No Deal as people are putting certain things up for auction, I noticed many a time that a certain Rolex watch can be valued more than others (depending on the condition of the watch) by when it was made. 

Yeah there was a really famous auction recently and I can't remember the make but I'd like to think it was a Daytona Rolex which got valued at some obscenely high value (1million I think)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonydemarco/2020/07/24/daytona-jps-reference-6264-could-fetch-800000-in-sothebys-online-auction/?sh=237567694c3a

Yeah it was a Daytona. I don't personally care for them but they are highly sought.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I see I shocked @nudge early this morning

It's still late night for me... Although technically, it's past 6am, so you're probably right xD

But please do share more... What kind of watch? 

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

It's still late night for me... Although technically, it's past 6am, so you're probably right xD

But please do share more... What kind of watch? 

It is the Oris Divers 65. Technically I'd have paid around 1K for it but because of import taxes, etc it turned out to be a lot more expensive. The joke here is that I was thinking i'd pay that money to Rickenbacker for a Jet 3000 bass but then they came back around and said that they haven't got any so I went out and got the watch because its been a while since I bought something more formal. It's a super plain watch but I like it.

image.jpeg

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

It is the Oris Divers 65. Technically I'd have paid around 1K for it but because of import taxes, etc it turned out to be a lot more expensive. The joke here is that I was thinking i'd pay that money to Rickenbacker for a Jet 3000 bass but then they came back around and said that they haven't got any so I went out and got the watch because its been a while since I bought something more formal. It's a super plain watch but I like it.

image.jpeg

Plain is nice when it comes to watches ... Can't say I'd spend that kind of money on a watch, but it looks good! :D

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Plain is nice when it comes to watches ... Can't say I'd spend that kind of money on a watch, but it looks good! :D

Wouldn't be so bad but considering that Oris is losing market value because their system is easily cloneable so a lot of the older stuff and some of the newer ones are not as valuable in the market anymore.

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Holy shit!

Not as bad as it looks. When I started working I really wanted a divers and I said when it came here id get one or on my travels. almost 11 years later i was presented an opportunity and I bought it. When my wife told me she wanted to get dive-master certified I really had to hunt a lot and finally I spent something very close to what I spent on my manual watch for something way more functional for diving haha. But ... it was worth it.

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Not as bad as it looks. When I started working I really wanted a divers and I said when it came here id get one or on my travels. almost 11 years later i was presented an opportunity and I bought it. When my wife told me she wanted to get dive-master certified I really had to hunt a lot and finally I spent something very close to what I spent on my manual watch for something way more functional for diving haha. But ... it was worth it.

What's a good watch for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money?

And also doesn't want to change out the watch strap of a watch they've just bought. Because I've seen a few Seiko 5s I think look alright and are a price (although a bit more dear than I'd like... but I don't know anything about watches really)... but I fucking hate the straps with them.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And also doesn't want to change out the watch strap of a watch they've just bought. Because I've seen a few Seiko 5s I think look alright and are a price (although a bit more dear than I'd like... but I don't know anything about watches really)... but I fucking hate the straps with them.

Seiko's are fantastic their quartz tech is legendary and I highly recommend them to anyone that doesn't want the hassle of maintaining the windups, etc. I own a nice Seiko that I use for everyday wear and I love it. They used to do a nice Grand Seiko series but I think that's long gone now and is not worth the money unless you're really into that kind of watch. The 5s are a good timepiece and the best part of it all is that they keep time better than some of the more expensive Swiss brands because of the way the mechanism is designed.

This is why you have to love what they did. 

Also, most watches come in standard dials so you can swap the straps out for anything you really want unless its custom which is very very rare. So look at the dial and be happy with the design, the straps and the rest of the watch are pretty easily swapped out (mostly self-service).

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you want a decent and reliable yet cheap watch, maybe check out Casio's Edifice line. Plenty of options to choose from for different tastes, and the quality/price ratio is very very good. 

Other popular brands worth looking at for very affordable reliable watches are Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Timex.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

If you want a decent and reliable yet cheap watch, maybe check out Casio's Edifice line. Plenty of options to choose from for different tastes, and the quality/price ratio is very very good. 

Other popular brands worth looking at for very affordable reliable watches are Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Timex.

All the Citizen and Seikos I really like go faaaaar beyond the prices I think I'd be willing to pay. And they're considered "affordable" for watches, which blows my fucking mind! Orient's got some nice looking stuff at good prices... but I also find there's something offputting about the name "Orient" - idk why, it just strikes me as a bit racist xD even though they're from Japan.

I'll look at some Casios and Edifices too.

Is it weird I don't want something with a battery? Well if it does have a battery, something like the Citizen Eco-Drive solar powered shite seems appealing to me.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

All the Citizen and Seikos I really like go faaaaar beyond the prices I think I'd be willing to pay.

Go for an Omega Moon Watch or something then mate... only £14.99 - £19.99 max..... 

image.thumb.png.bc98420f254c6d11a145288349cd2d07.png

Per month.... :ph34r:

• Subscriber

The majority of my watches are in the 100-200$ range I would say. Most expensive was around 400$. 

@Dr. Gonzo I dont know if they're available in the states for sure but I think they are? Fossil has lots of different designs all in around that price range and seemingly pretty good quality. 

Archived