talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Watches

football forum

11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Go for an Omega Moon Watch or something then mate... only £14.99 - £19.99 max..... 

image.thumb.png.bc98420f254c6d11a145288349cd2d07.png

Per month.... :ph34r:

I've got my granddad's Omega now that he's passed away... but I'm scared to wear it tbh

That thing looks fucking mental though.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

All the Citizen and Seikos I really like go faaaaar beyond the prices I think I'd be willing to pay. And they're considered "affordable" for watches, which blows my fucking mind! Orient's got some nice looking stuff at good prices... but I also find there's something offputting about the name "Orient" - idk why, it just strikes me as a bit racist xD even though they're from Japan.

I'll look at some Casios and Edifices too.

Is it weird I don't want something with a battery? Well if it does have a battery, something like the Citizen Eco-Drive solar powered shite seems appealing to me.

Why don't you want anything with a battery? I personally love mechanical watches for the craftsmanship and the nostalgia factor, but a quartz is just do convenient... Until the battery dies at the moment you least expect it too xD

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've got my granddad's Omega now that he's passed away... but I'm scared to wear it tbh

That thing looks fucking mental though.

I used to have 3 of them but sold them for about half of what they were worth... One because I needed the money and 2 because I had a tip off that the police were going to knocking the next day... they never turned up so I reckon I got scammed.... 

Seriously though, have it valued, I have a couple of watches that my Dad left me... I won't wear them either

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Why don't you want anything with a battery? I personally love mechanical watches for the craftsmanship and the nostalgia factor, but a quartz is just do convenient... Until the battery dies at the moment you least expect it too xD

Up until last week I'd had the same watch since I was 18. I never figured out how to actually open it up to swap out the battery, so I used to have to take it to people to get them to change the battery (did that twice I think) and I hated doing that xD

Then at some point last year it died again and I thought "well I don't wear it that much right now so I'll wait a bit to swap out the battery." Turns out the batteries leaked and now the watch is fucked.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Up until last week I'd had the same watch since I was 18. I never figured out how to actually open it up to swap out the battery, so I used to have to take it to people to get them to change the battery (did that twice I think) and I hated doing that xD

Then at some point last year it died again and I thought "well I don't wear it that much right now so I'll wait a bit to swap out the battery." Turns out the batteries leaked and now the watch is fucked.

Yeah, that was probably not a very good idea 😅 

What kind of watch was that? Served you quite a while!

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I used to have 3 of them but sold them for about half of what they were worth... One because I needed the money and 2 because I had a tip off that the police were going to knocking the next day... they never turned up so I reckon I got scammed.... 

Seriously though, have it valued, I have a couple of watches that my Dad left me... I won't wear them either

That's shit about the scamming :(

Yeah I probably should have it valued. And yeah, it feels strange to wear something that I'm pretty sure is quite old and has that feeling of being really quality (certainly better than any watch I've ever worn) for me to ever wear for more than a couple of seconds in my house.

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah, that was probably not a very good idea 😅 

What kind of watch was that? Served you quite a while!

Live and learn I suppose xD

It was a Timex, idk the model number or name of it - but it was a nice looking watch. My mum got it for my birthday that year... and yeah, it lasted me a very long time. I was a bit sad it's fucked now.

• Subscriber
On 13/08/2022 at 00:06, Dr. Gonzo said:

TBH there are plenty of watch makers in the 150 - 250 USD range that are good and will last a long time, if you look for deals maybe even cheaper because that's something we don't get here. Fossil is one of them and I find it strange that Seiko doesn't have anything in that price range or maybe they do and they just don't have what you're looking for. Casio is almost the easy shot with Edifice like nudge mentioned, clean design and its quartz which honestly is tonnes better than all the maintenance a windup takes. 

I wouldn't take the battery thing too hard either it tends to happen and then you're in the market for a new watch especially considering how long the Timex lasted you. 

57 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

TBH there are plenty of watch makers in the 150 - 250 USD range that are good and will last a long time, if you look for deals maybe even cheaper because that's something we don't get here. Fossil is one of them and I find it strange that Seiko doesn't have anything in that price range or maybe they do and they just don't have what you're looking for. Casio is almost the easy shot with Edifice like nudge mentioned, clean design and its quartz which honestly is tonnes better than all the maintenance a windup takes. 

I wouldn't take the battery thing too hard either it tends to happen and then you're in the market for a new watch especially considering how long the Timex lasted you. 

I went to a shop yesterday and spent a bit more than I was planning on… but there were also some good sales - got myself a Citizen Calendrier. Nicest watch I’ve ever had that I didn’t inherit from my grandad!

Get fucked Apple Watch, never again will you tell me to breathe or meditate!

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s pretty nice

9E281277-F39B-4662-A8F4-E5F79A5316A1.jpeg

Very smart. 

I'm on the lookout for a new watch soon as I've had my current one for about 4-5 years. Still good condition but need a bit of a refresh.

I like the metal strap and the blue face. Not usually a fan of the extra dials on the face but I like the effort and precision that goes into it. 

Where's this one from? And how much if you don't mind me asking?

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Very smart. 

I'm on the lookout for a new watch soon as I've had my current one for about 4-5 years. Still good condition but need a bit of a refresh.

I like the metal strap and the blue face. Not usually a fan of the extra dials on the face but I like the effort and precision that goes into it. 

Where's this one from? And how much if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! Citizens a Japanese watch brand - this one was about $500 but there was a good sale going on and my wife had a coupon from that store, so I paid about $360.

I think it’s one of the older Japanese brands. Most Citizens have the “eco-drive” technology - so it’s solar powered. The manual says if it gets 8 hours of direct sunlight it’ll stay alive for 6 months!

I think they make some quartz and mechanical/automatic watches… but the shop I went to didn’t have any. I also tried on some Seikos and a Hamilton, but I liked the look of this the best.

I think my favourite thing about this watch (well… other than how it looks) is the lower crown that rotates the 24 numbers around the side, so you match up what hour it is with the 24 hour time & you can see what the time is in different timezones.

The one Hamilton I tried on was the one Hamilton I could afford xD - but I think it’s a good option if you want a nice clean and simple watch dial.

• Subscriber
On 16/08/2022 at 04:12, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s pretty nice

9E281277-F39B-4662-A8F4-E5F79A5316A1.jpeg

That's a very sharp time-piece. I like Citizen I have just never found anything in their collection that I've liked. I also like that it has a world time function which I use all the time. Congrats!

12 hours ago, Mel81x said:

That's a very sharp time-piece. I like Citizen I have just never found anything in their collection that I've liked. I also like that it has a world time function which I use all the time. Congrats!

Judging by what I saw at the shop and on their website, they've got some of the busiest watch faces I've ever seen. They've also got some watch faces that are among the plainest I've ever seen.

I do like how they primarily make watches that are sort of "set and forget" type watches with the Eco-Drive, Atomic Clock, and their GPS powered ones. But at the shop I went too, the Atomic Clock ones were just so incredibly busy. The GPS one even moreso (and that was just way more money than I was willing to spend).

But I quite like what I ended up with. I liked it better than the Seikos & Hamiltons that were around the same price range. There was one Hamilton I really loved but... it was what I'd consider an absurd amount of money for a watch. Still blows my mind how expensive these things can get!

After using a smart watch for years and eventually getting sick of it because I felt like my phone had become part of me, I'm pleased to go back to an ordinary watch. And yea... I know I could have just "disconnected" from my apple watch by just taking it off... but I've worn a watch for a long time before I had the apple watch & I like having a thing on my wrist to check the time.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Judging by what I saw at the shop and on their website, they've got some of the busiest watch faces I've ever seen. They've also got some watch faces that are among the plainest I've ever seen.

I do like how they primarily make watches that are sort of "set and forget" type watches with the Eco-Drive, Atomic Clock, and their GPS powered ones. But at the shop I went too, the Atomic Clock ones were just so incredibly busy. The GPS one even moreso (and that was just way more money than I was willing to spend).

But I quite like what I ended up with. I liked it better than the Seikos & Hamiltons that were around the same price range. There was one Hamilton I really loved but... it was what I'd consider an absurd amount of money for a watch. Still blows my mind how expensive these things can get!

After using a smart watch for years and eventually getting sick of it because I felt like my phone had become part of me, I'm pleased to go back to an ordinary watch. And yea... I know I could have just "disconnected" from my apple watch by just taking it off... but I've worn a watch for a long time before I had the apple watch & I like having a thing on my wrist to check the time.

Last year i was in the mood to get a Nato-Strap watch just because of our weather. I saw one of the most prettiest Oris (I love this brand even if its devalued) and then I saw a Seiko in the most oddest of places and I picked it up.

IMG_4978.jpg

Its now my daily driver as I prefer leather/nato to actual metal. I have had my eye on a TAG Monaco for years and I think in three years I'll pick one up in the racing color scheme. I'll stop once I pick this up even if I really want a nice Omega to round things off for me because the older watches last forever as is testament to your grand-dad's watch and I have a watch I already wanted to buy when I was in my 20s (an Oris Divers 65)

image.png71FORKXtwML._AC_UY741_.jpg

I also cannot use a smart-watch except the dive-computers or when I go desert trekking for which I have the new Rangemaster which imo is the best watch Casio have released in the last decade. I have two of them the original and the new one and I can safely say that if Casio ever made a new one I might be tempted to pick one up because my original is from 2002 and it still works albeit I have taken it in for servicing and my new one just sits in the box and I take it on hill treks with me.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I got this Amazfit GTS 2e Smart Watch now. As a gift that was meant for someone else. I haven't worn a watch in like over 20 years, but it's pretty neat. And I can finally pull off that "gotta check the time" move again. 

c8ccc264-8018-45a1-9934-d5b85279e9a6.jpg

Archived