talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Watches

football forum

I used to be really big into watches but I did stop myself at 8 xD I actually just got all the batteries replaced on the non automatic ones. Ill post a couple of my favs

I remember a few years back Nixon had a few star wars themed ones that werent gaudy as all hell I really really liked one but I couldnt justify a 9th watch and it was like 600$

mvmnt, love the classic simple looks.

Chrono Gunmetal | Gunmetal watch, Watches for men, Chrono

My fav fossil, automatic (just got a grey leather band as the original fell apart :) )

fossil skeleton automatic> OFF-61%

• Like 1

There was a debate on another forum a while back about watches and people don't use them much nowadays when we have mobiles especially to tell the time, a few said they don't bother with a watch but quite a few (like me) always wear a watch when going out.

I know our son & daughter don't use them but just rely on a mobile, my argument was why dig into your pocket, handgag to check the time on your mobile yet with a watch looking at it on your wrist takes 2 seconds and I know a few times I have headed down town shopping then realised I had left my mobile at home but could still check the time from my watch and watches are also handy like this one.

ZGPAX SB Standalone Smart Watch Phone

download.thumb.png.d74641b2508ff696c03572bed365cd05.png

35 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

There was a debate on another forum a while back about watches and people don't use them much nowadays when we have mobiles especially to tell the time, a few said they don't bother with a watch but quite a few (like me) always wear a watch when going out.

I know our son & daughter don't use them but just rely on a mobile, my argument was why dig into your pocket, handgag to check the time on your mobile yet with a watch looking at it on your wrist takes 2 seconds and I know a few times I have headed down town shopping then realised I had left my mobile at home but could still check the time from my watch and watches are also handy like this one.

ZGPAX SB Standalone Smart Watch Phone

download.thumb.png.d74641b2508ff696c03572bed365cd05.png

I think it's pretty simple - a watch is an accessory which also performs a very specific function, and there are people who "get" watches and there are those who don't; fair enough. For me, it's a convenient way to be able to tell the time without having to rely on a smartphone or any other gadget, and it's also a stylish, classy accessory that can add a lot to your outfit. On top of that, I also admire the craftsmanship that goes into watchmaking, and I love having a piece of a mechanical "wonder" on my wrist. When I was a kid, I used to take watches apart, learn their inner workings and put them back together. It's fascinating... 😅

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Breitling just released a new line of watches celebrating 3 classic muscle cars - the 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 427, the 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390, and the 1965 Shelby Cobra 42.

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-11-768x432.jpg

Just look at those beauties: 

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-1-768x432.jpg

Corvette:

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-2-768x501.jpg

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-3.jpg

Mustang (Bullitt):

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-5-768x522.jpg

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-6-768x895.jpg

Shelby Cobra:

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-8-768x479 (1).jpg

Breitling-Top-Time-Classic-Cars-Capsule-Collection-9-768x718.jpg

I think I'm in love...

@Eco @Bluewolf @Viva la FCB @Rab

Price around 5500€, apparently. A bit much for an ETA, but it's Breitling and it's a tribute to great cars... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

Breitling just released a new line of watches celebrating 3 classic muscle cars - the 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 427, the 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390, and the 1965 Shelby Cobra 42.

Corvette:

Mustang (Bullitt):

Shelby Cobra:

I think I'm in love...

Price around 5500€, apparently. A bit much for an ETA, but it's Breitling and it's a tribute to great cars... 

Nice... B|

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Corvette:

Mustang (Bullitt):

Shelby Cobra:

I think I'm in love...

Certainly nice looking, but for that price tag...I think they could do better. Maybe I'm being extra cynical. 

Saying that, I found this a few weeks ago and I can't let it go...But it's also $153k. 

1466501.png?impolicy=cropresize&cropheig

alangesoehne-datograph-perpetual-410038-

alangesoehne-datograph-perpetual-410038-

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Eco said:

@nudge - Have you heard of these before? I love the Gargarin and Sputnik selection. 

https://sturmanskie.ru/en/brand/

Yes, I know the brand, but I never had one. I love vintage USSR watchmaking though; cheap and great quality and longevity. Luch was my first watch ever, and then later I had a Vostok and a Raketa. Brilliant watches.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yes, I know the brand, but I never had one. I love vintage USSR watchmaking though; cheap and great quality and longevity. Luch was my first watch ever, and then later I had a Vostok and a Raketa. Brilliant watches.

Thinking of buying this - 

6b6029c19019a1514018acfb3bf9b589.png

8c811e0993b9460eedc2fc5c1b83384d.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nudge said:

Corvette:

Mustang (Bullitt):

Shelby Cobra:

I think I'm in love...

The blue one is legit sex.

• Like 1

How have I only just came across this topic. 

Currently own two watches. One of them being my Seiko Presage Cocktail Time in the Blue Moon colour. It’s the more formal choice out of thee two I wear. 

C25C25CA-6A01-4374-9BAC-DDCF78D47235.jpeg

The second is a micro brand tool watch that was crowdfunded through a company called Watch Angels. This was their first project, and the whole idea is to create sustainable watches and not just hike the price up just because. It’s my daily wear and I love it. 

06F3DA8C-E52C-4E63-A4CC-398686E342EB.jpeg

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, nudge said:

Reminds me of TAG Heuer's Monaco watch.

TAG-Heuer-Monaco-50th-Anniversary-From-the-Origins-to-The-Future.jpg

Someone I know had it, pretty cool but I don't particularly like square watches.

I'd love one for the exact reason that it is square haha.

• 2 months later...
On 12/08/2021 at 19:03, nudge said:

I think it's pretty simple - a watch is an accessory which also performs a very specific function, and there are people who "get" watches and there are those who don't; fair enough. For me, it's a convenient way to be able to tell the time without having to rely on a smartphone or any other gadget, and it's also a stylish, classy accessory that can add a lot to your outfit. On top of that, I also admire the craftsmanship that goes into watchmaking, and I love having a piece of a mechanical "wonder" on my wrist. When I was a kid, I used to take watches apart, learn their inner workings and put them back together. It's fascinating... 😅

Any pics?

3 hours ago, MUFC said:

Not really into watches. But are Rolex watches what they're made out to be? Are they the holy grail of watches?

Perhaps not the holy grail, but they are high quality, reliable, accurate, well-crafted watches that suffer from the fact that the brand is seen as a symbol of status & wealth by many. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Perhaps not the holy grail, but they are high quality, reliable, accurate, well-crafted watches that suffer from the fact that the brand is seen as a symbol of status & wealth by many. 

I've read that Rolex is a non-profit company, is this true? I know some people who were buying certain ones for around £4000 and selling them on a year later for between £10,000-£15,000. 

The 2 Rolex shops near me. One if the Trafford Center and the other is in Manchester town center. They don't sell certain watches to just anybody, this hacks many people off lol.

2 hours ago, MUFC said:

I've read that Rolex is a non-profit company, is this true? I know some people who were buying certain ones for around £4000 and selling them on a year later for between £10,000-£15,000. 

The 2 Rolex shops near me. One if the Trafford Center and the other is in Manchester town center. They don't sell certain watches to just anybody, this hacks many people off lol.

Rolex is a for-profit company owned by a non-profit trust. They do spend a lot on charities and stuff.

And yes, their resale value is high, especially for the "classic" models like the Submariner or Daytona.

• Upvote 1

I pondered a lot before I decided it was finally time to pull the trigger on the watch I wanted. It's a debate between a Seamaster or an Oris and I think I may end up ordering this. As much as I love what Omega are doing with their new watches I think this suits me more in terms of what it offers and the look. 

image.png

• Upvote 1

On 26/11/2021 at 11:53, MUFC said:

Not really into watches. But are Rolex watches what they're made out to be? Are they the holy grail of watches?

You see Rolex has a very interesting marketing style, they limit the number of watches they make. For e.g. you can't get specific Daytona series watches anymore and the same with Sub-Mariners. This creates a very interesting space not in the first-buyer space but in the seconds space. This then drives watch prices up and as a result you get a more niche product that can't be found.

Contrast that with someone like Omega who imo have surpassed Rolex when it comes to watch-tech under the face and they call it Limited but its really available whenever you want it without going seconds unless you want something ultra-specific and even then you get willing sellers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

You see Rolex has a very interesting marketing style, they limit the number of watches they make.

I would imagine that does make certain Rolex watchs a collectors item in years to come, I say that as we watch shows (me and the wife) like Deal or No Deal as people are putting certain things up for auction, I noticed many a time that a certain Rolex watch can be valued more than others (depending on the condition of the watch) by when it was made. 

40 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I would imagine that does make certain Rolex watchs a collectors item in years to come, I say that as we watch shows (me and the wife) like Deal or No Deal as people are putting certain things up for auction, I noticed many a time that a certain Rolex watch can be valued more than others (depending on the condition of the watch) by when it was made. 

Yeah there was a really famous auction recently and I can't remember the make but I'd like to think it was a Daytona Rolex which got valued at some obscenely high value (1million I think)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonydemarco/2020/07/24/daytona-jps-reference-6264-could-fetch-800000-in-sothebys-online-auction/?sh=237567694c3a

Yeah it was a Daytona. I don't personally care for them but they are highly sought.

Edited by Mel81x