talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics

football forum

19 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I will probably vote for Labour on Thursday as I identify far more with their policies than those of the Tories, but I fear that 3 factors will harm their bid to fight back and win a significant number of seats at this election:

1) The Shy Tory factor - in any opinion poll it's worth adding on a couple of points to the Tories' total because of this alone. 

2) The ineptitude of Diane Abbott.

3) The fact that many people who traditionally vote for Labour may stay at home on polling day, similar to how many staunch Democrats couldn't bring themselves to vote for Hillary last year and just didn't vote at all.

We'll see though. I certainly hope that I'm wrong. If the Tories emerge from this election with a majority of under 50 seats, then in my opinion it will be big disappointment and failure for them, given that they didn't need to hold it in the first place. 

Shy Tory vote you say, I can't think why anyone wouldn't welcome debate over their opinions after all we're each entitled to them. It's the foundation of the healthy democratic system after all, everybody's got a democratic rite to vote how they like without fear of oppression......oh wait

18 hours ago, shut up said:

Anybody who doesn't vote Labour is a cunt.

😂 

17 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The poll surge is believed to just be in seats Labour already have.

It's probably just going to be a replica of the election in 2015 where the gentrified metro cities and old industrial towns of the North and Wales vote Labour and the entire countryside and middle class towns vote conservative.

I suspect it is going to be like this until immigration and the deficit are no longer a hot topic. As much as the metro left enjoy clicking the like button on their friends post of a pro-immigration or anti-austerity article the average man on the street that you talk to doesn't buy it. Not because they are knuckle heads either. That is the lazy excuse of the left. It is I believe because the message is delivered piss poorly by messangers with questionable histories or persona.

The conservatives have gotten far more years of power than they should have by not fixing what they said they would in 2010, all because the other party's won't fix it either. This is dangerous crap and contributed to a chunk of what was a lashing out Brexit vote. Brexit vote was around 20% liberal British values having incompatibility with the EU and 80% people just lashing out.

Pretty much bang on, I'd say white labour/ukip Brexit areas are the swing seats this time. I don't think Corbyn has done enough things to completely recoup those losses 

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I simply can't justify a vote for the Tories other than Corbyn/Abbott seemingly incompetent to me. But speaking of incompetence, I'm not sure the Tories and May are much better - the incredibly poorly thought out plan of allowing the UK to vote on something without really giving the public any clue on what they were voting for, and the political & economic mess we face as a result of that referendum are entirely on their hands. I doubt I'll vote lib dem again, despite liking their policies on paper, for the way they got in bed with the Tories. Letting your ideological opponents have the PM seat for a slice of power is understandable... yet ideologically wrong.

Britain is no better off than it was the last time power shifted. If anything it is worse off. This is abysmal leadership. I don't have much confidence in Labour, but I have absolutely 0 confidence in Theresa May's party to do anything other than attempt to invade our internet privacy. I don't think they'll be good for NHS or for the police - which is tantamount to saying I don't think they're good for the health or safety of the people Britain. Theresa May has admitted the power to intercept Jihadists returning to Britain from Syria has only been used once in the last two years, so trusting their government to expand their powers in the name of being strong in the face of terrorism & effectively keeping us safe seems unwise. They have been the ruling party for some time now... they have not delivered.

5 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Probably the greatest thing ever to be created? Just wait for the jinglexD Full Partridge, Tories really are a breed apart.

Haha back of the net

4 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

xD I guess the millions in the Tory campaign budget doesn't make it to East Yorkshire

it's all gone on leaflets, one a day here in the 26th target seat of Birmingham Northfield constituency 

58 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I simply can't justify a vote for the Tories other than Corbyn/Abbott seemingly incompetent to me. But speaking of incompetence, I'm not sure the Tories and May are much better - the incredibly poorly thought out plan of allowing the UK to vote on something without really giving the public any clue on what they were voting for, and the political & economic mess we face as a result of that referendum are entirely on their hands. I doubt I'll vote lib dem again, despite liking their policies on paper, for the way they got in bed with the Tories. Letting your ideological opponents have the PM seat for a slice of power is understandable... yet ideologically wrong.

Britain is no better off than it was the last time power shifted. If anything it is worse off. This is abysmal leadership. I don't have much confidence in Labour, but I have absolutely 0 confidence in Theresa May's party to do anything other than attempt to invade our internet privacy. I don't think they'll be good for NHS or for the police - which is tantamount to saying I don't think they're good for the health or safety of the people Britain. Theresa May has admitted the power to intercept Jihadists returning to Britain from Syria has only been used once in the last two years, so trusting their government to expand their powers in the name of being strong in the face of terrorism & effectively keeping us safe seems unwise. They have been the ruling party for some time now... they have not delivered.

Vote for Farron, he's the remain vote.

48 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

I think her excuse on the last point is human rights laws getting in the way which she said today she will rip up :ph34r: another manifesto u-turn

She'll be done come 2022 anyway, i wouldn't be surprised if she's knifed after we've finished Brexit negotiations. She won't fight another GE campaign, she's not good enough.  

33 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Vote for Farron, he's the remain vote.

Hoping to still remain is pointless. Instead we should look for someone who can realistically give us a good deal from the 3 real options we have available in a post-Brexit world. And it will take some bold leadership and a whole new fresh set of faces before I ever vote Lib Dem again.

I'm assuming immigration was a big part of why you voted for Brexit. How do you feel Tories have done since 2010 re: immigration and keeping Britain safe?

'It is an ideology that claims our Western values of freedom, democracy, and human rights are incompatible with the religion of Islam.' - Theresa May, June 4, 2017

'And if human rights laws stop us from doing it, we will change those laws so we can do it."'- Theresa May, June 6, 2017

To be honest, I think there's the need to do certain things that aren't following our laws now, to stop the recent terror attacks from happening. But Theresa May making these proposals while at the same time planning to make massive cuts to policing in the country seems counterintuitive. It seems she is asking Britain to sacrifice both liberty and safety. That is truly dangerous.

I think major reforms to how we address terror should come after we have strengthened our ability to have the police provide protection to the public. Because she was right in that first quote - freedom, democracy and human rights are all Western values we should hold dear. Placing limits on any of these, even temporarily, is nothing that should be taken lightly. Common sense suggests we should not be making widespread cuts to British police in the face of repeated terror attacks in the UK, regardless of whether we suspend (or terminate) any of our rights and freedoms.

Fewer police, fewer human rights, privatising public services and generally erasing the responsibilities of a government does sound like a great plan. Can see why many are attracted to it.

Apparently Diane Abbott is stepping aside as shadow home secretary for the period of her 'ill-health', and is being replaced by Lyn Brown. That's according to a Guardian news pop-up that I received on my phone. 

The day before the election interesting. This might gain Labour quite a number of extra votes tomorrow. 

Her replacement is one of those clowns who reacted to the referendum by publicly saying Corbyn has to go, he's not fit enough to lead the country, only to now say we should vote to put Corbyn in power:rofl:

It's remarkable what the threat of losing your £74k salary can do.

As bad as Abbott is, I honestly can't see (leaving Corbyn and May to the side) how having Johnson as Foreign Secretary, Hunt in Health, and Truss in Justice isn't worse. 

Abbott's a mess who has thankfully been ditched it seems, but people forgive the Tories for he exact same kind of nonsense, without a thought. 

I don't buy this "if it wasn't for Abbott..." nonsense. If you're a Tory, you shouldn't be embarrassed to just say it. 

Fear of what the opposition party might do can be as big as your imagination will allow. Fear of the ruling party will always be moderated by real time observations.

Historically power tends to only change hands when the swing vote observe their local economy breaking down.

Everything else is just noise.

5 minutes ago, Panflute said:

So, when are the results going to be in?

Need to know this to time shouting "YA ALI JEZBOLLAH" from my window.

Results start coming in at around midnight tomorrow and usually a party concedes defeat by 6am.

Though at 10pm tomorrow the exit poll will be released and that is usually roughly right.

Here are the last polls. Let's see if they have another car crash or if they've redeemed themselves. If YouGov are right they will be award winning, if they are wrong they will be the laughing stock of the industry.

IMG_20170607_170950.jpg

10 hours ago, Cannabis said:

If Diane Abbott was sacked I'd back Labour. I think this is just a temporary ploy to gain extra votes however and she will be back in business if her party come into power.

It's like sick leave, she's still in. 

Saw this handy Tax breakdown of the LVT tax for homeowners:

IMG_2788.JPG

• The title was changed to UK Politics

Archived